Pawn Stars

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Evan L, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

lol

Those two are my favourite experts on the show.

2. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Mine too.

Rebecca is hot in that librarian way, and she knows her stuff.

The old guy (don't remember his name) from the museum is also very knowledgeable, and just a likeable dude.

Benno123 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah they come across as really genuine people who you wouldn't mind having a sit down with. I only know the guy as The Beard of Knowledge! But his real name is Mark Hall-Patton.

Rebecca did an AMA on Reddit two years ago. I am Rebecca Romney, the Rare Book Expert on Pawn Stars. AMA. • /r/IAmA »

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

"Who the hell is Justin Beaver?" -Old Man.

heh...

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I know the show is a set-up and everything but I still get a kick out of the times when someone brings something in, they find out it's a fake or reproduction, and then they have a virtual tantrum in the store and yell at the expert insisting they're wrong. :)

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  6. FredC

FredC Forum Resident

FWIW, Pawn Stars has been airing over the air for a couple of months now in the New York area over channel 11-1. It started airing 2 episodes back-to-back on Saturday and Sunday afternoons from 4-5PM. It soon settled on Saturdays only, with 4 shows in a row from 8-10PM. Based on what I've read from the thread's beginnings, they started from the earlier episodes.

I'd seen the show from time to time via Cable on the HISTORY Channel, but never at home since I don't have Cable, and would like watching on Thursdays where the HISTORY channel would run a marathon of older broadcast episodes with the newest episode showing at 8PM, and then a few more older episodes after that. While I know that all of the Show is staged for broadcast, and 9 times out of 10 the Harrison's are educated about the incoming items beforehand, it's still a fun show to watch. One item that stood out from these early broadcasts was when a jeweled broach was brought in to sell and the lady wanted $3,000.00 for it. Rick countered with that he wouldn't be able to sleep that night if he offered her anything less than $15,000.00! That was the only time (so far) where his counter-offer was well above the asking price. I can only hope that the Show isn't pre-empted tonight.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  7. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Yeah she is...looking hot and being smart is mega sexy imo. Not to bust every guy's bubble here, but she's married...bummer, I know.

Benno123 and Vinyl Addict like this.
  8. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Keep in mind Rick is on camera. If he intentionally ripped people off on camera, he would lose a lot of business once the word got out.

Not to mention, the whole scene was probably scripted and fake.

9. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Not only married, but I believe she has a baby as well...

10. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Right. Because anyone who is charged with something must be guilty of it.

Grand_Ennui and Rhett like this.
  11. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I got tired of the antics and hijinks focus after season 2 but I will occasionally watch if I stumble across it when I can't sleep. Also, the personalities of Chumlee and Corey/Hoss are grating, even if most of it is scripted. Especially Corey who comes off like a smartass arrogant D-bag. I am quite convinced that these two would be the kind of people that I would never choose to associate with in real life.

12. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

I just saw a re-run that first aired on 9/26/11. One thing that sticks out about this show (and the scene I just witnessed is a perfect example) is that Rick will trick someone into telling him how much he paid for an item at a yard sale (with the Old Man's help):
    Example:
    Customer: "Asking $6,500"
    Rick: "Ok...how did you get this item?"
    Customer: "Bought it at a yard sale about 2 or 3 years ago." (pivotal statement that causes the low-ball alarm to go off in Rick's head)
    Rick: "Alright...how much did you pay for it?"
    Customer: "350"
    Rick (without a moment's hesitation): "I'll give you 650 and not a penny more...not a cent."
    Old Man: "Don't you DARE give him more, Rick...I think $650 is WAY TOO much."

I like the show, sure...but man, they are the kings of low-balling and scum-baggery.
    I guess they gotta eat, right...?

13. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Corey strikes me as a spoiled cry-baby who has never done any work without complaining...because...everything has been handed to him.
    Chumlee seems to have a sweeter heart...but after getting caught with methamphetamine in his house, I will only tune in to learn about the history behind the items they buy. His pretend-dumb antics are nauseating...

Spaghettiows likes this.
  14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

All the deals you see on the show (and all the banter back and forth) are all fake and pre-aranged. The people who come into the store have already agreed to sell their stuff for that final price before they are allowed to appear on camera.

But really, I mean it's a pawn shop. You can't go in there expecting to get top dollar for your stuff. If you're there, you're desperate to sell and the owners know it (that applies to any pawn shop).

P.S- They're still re-running episodes from that far back? Wow...

15. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Most "real" pawnshops will offer 1/16 to 1/8 of the price they think they can sell it for.

If anything Pawn Stars shows very very generous offers.

Turns out that when you are trying to get rid of something for the most value you should sell it yourself - not to a broker or a pawn shop.

eddiel likes this.
  16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I think that show is in constant rotation somewhere all the time!

I think if one were to expect top dollar for their stuff they'd be selling privately on their own. (EDIT: tomhayes beat me to it).

Anytime you sell to another buyer who is going to resell it, you have to accept you're not going to get much for it.

I think the items they have on the show would probably be the type of items that some shops would pay a bit more for anyway, but I also think that, as it's a TV show, they probably can't show proper pawn shop prices as people would be turned off by it. :)

17. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I remember on an episode when someone wanted to sell something to do with The Beatles (don't recall the item) and Corey blew off The Beatles as " just a Boy Band." :rolleyes:

A lot of fake scenarios on that show, once a guy came in with an old Les Paul to sell, he said he was a musician and just passing through Vegas and want 30k for it. So Rick called in his guitar expert and he said it was worth 30k retail, Rick offers 10k and the deal didn't happen, the travelling musician took his guitar and thanked him anyway.
    As it turns out the guitar expert was real he has a shop in Vegas but the travelling musician was fake he was an employee at that shop and the guitar was just one they had on the wall at his shop for sale.

Then there's Chumlee, I think he is in fact as dumb as he acts.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The show used to be somewhat believable and kind of charming. Then it turned into total cartoony nonsense and I gave up watching like 4 years ago.

19. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

I love it,but don't watch as much as I should.

20. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

We get this show in the UK on almost endless repeat.....my favorite bit was when Cory (is he the dumb one?), bought a speedboat from a guy in the car park for a lot of money.
    When Rick comes back he gets mad and has a rant at Cory for being a Dumb-ass...."Didn`t you think to test it first?"
    and Cory answers, "But Rick, It`s in a carpark!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.