New Proac Tablette 10 - same size as LS3/5a

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ls35a, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

The website says that these can be placed against a wall. Considering that the tablette 10 is "using a thin walled heavy damped infinite baffle enclosure which is the same as the BBC LS3/5a", I am quite skeptical as my "Internet research" indicates that the Harbeth P3ESR should be placed greater than 12" from a wall.

Nevertheless, I will try to check these out as I have the itch to upgrade my Epos K1's.

3. ls35a

My P3ESR's are a few inches from the wall and sound fine.

octaneTom, bhazen and PATB like this.
  4. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Very interesting. A first rate company with an excellent track record. Love to hear them.

sound chaser likes this.
  5. ls35a

Falcon and Graham Audio's prices are insane - these look to be an excellent alternative to people who don't have money to burn.

samurai, bhazen and crooner like this.
  6. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

These look fantastic and the price is very reasonable also. Like you I was shocked to learn about Falcon's latest pricing!
    I wonder which tube amp output tap should these interface with? They have a 10 ohm nominal impedance. 10 ohms is closer to 8 than 16, so perhaps the 8 ohm tap?
    I really love the sound of my 15 ohm Chartwells connected to the 16 ohm tap of my Marantz Model 9's. And the 15 ohm nominal impedance is the strongest thing the Falcon has going for it, IMO. Too bad the price is so high!

7. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

I'm running a pair of Proac Tablette Ref 8 Signatures and they sound absolutely amazing. I can only imagine these are great.

crooner likes this.
  8. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Ooh, I'd love to hear these! (The current Tablette strikes me as just a bit too small for scale.) ProAc competing for the LS3/5A market! I say -- welcome!!

AmosM and murphythecat like this.
  9. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I think Proac has been doing a great job of voicing all of their models for quite a few years. I just don't see very many of them showing up on the used market, so it seems as though people are hanging on to them. Probably a hint that I should audition them more often. The new Tablette 10 was not at TAVES 2016 in Toronto (as far as I know) because they were on my list to audition at the show, and I couldn't find them - the distributor and the few Proac dealers that I visited at the show had nothing to say about the 10. I'd really, really like to hear them next to the Harbeth P3ESR and the Falcons (both of which were at TAVES in full voice).

If the Tablette 10 was at TAVES 2016 and some other SHF member heard them, please post here. Mind you, KEF was at TAVES too, but didn't have the new LS50 Wireless speakers with them. Aren't these shows supposed to be the place where all the new stuff is on full display?

murphythecat likes this.
  10. bhazen

I've seen that tweeter somewhere before ... SEAS?

11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The old Proac Tablettes sounded nothing like LS3/5A. In fact a lot better. So alternative in terms of similar size? They are not true BBC style speakers. However these deviate from previous Tablettes apparently in removing the rear port. I would go for the proper Tablette design as earlier ones sounded excellent. Not heard the latest Anniversary. I still don't see these BBC style versions sounding like LS3/5A as it's not what Proac are about.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    Scott in DC likes this.
  12. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

My local dealer a Proac stalwart believes these new ones leave the old ones way behind........

13. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

The link below might be of interest-magazine review from my local dealer. I am big Proac fan had three different sets of Proacs over the years......

ProAc Tablette 10 | The Music Room »

AmosM and PATB like this.
  14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

So they should be far better than an LS3/5A and nothing like them? I would prefer to see independent reviews rather than from a dealer with vested interest in selling them. In the end you must use your own ears.

15. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

The reference to LS3/5A seems to me like a sales pitch.
    Other than the size, I don't see any other connection to the BBC tradition.

16. bhazen

Glad they've gone non-ported. I like the idea of speakers right against the wall, not being underfoot! Plus you gain some bass reinforcement, often a good thing with a shoebox-sized unit.

SteveKr likes this.
  17. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

My small listening room requires the speakers to be placed close to the wall. I got a really good price on a pair of Epos K1s with the K-stands on Audiogon, so bought without audition. I was pleasantly surprised that the bass is just right, even just 5" from the wall. I guess the front ports actually help. My only gripe is that the K1 is a touch deficient at the top end. I am looking for a warm but detailed stand-mount bookshelf speakers, about the size of the LS3/5A, that can be placed against the wall. I have some time to shop around, and have the Harbeth P3ESR and the new Proac Tablette 10 on my short list.

18. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

They are, been using my Tablette 50s for 20 years now, when my cat used them as scratching posts they sent me a new pair of grilles for free.

Fritz Fernow and Shiver like this.
  19. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

My first post. How does the voicing on these, and earlier Pro-ac tablettes compare to the KEF LS-50's, which I'm very happy with. Thanks,

Don Ivey

bhazen likes this.
  20. ls35a

Add the Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 to that short list. They're spectacular and only $1500 with a 30 day trial.

Sierra-2 RAAL Ribbon Tweeter Bamboo Cabinet Loudspeaker »

PATB likes this.
  21. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Dealer conversation was private and genuine......there was no sale ever on the table (he knows my room and the fact I was on much bigger speakers) and has recently been a bit critical of certain Proac models. He had NO serious interest in these until he heard them....

The irony of you stating reviews is massive.....one of the reasons Proac don't get the reviews they deserved is they don't do the magazine ad route.....

Cuki likes this.
  22. ls35a

Yeah, a 12" tall by 7.5" wide and 6" deep two way sealed system from a British hi-fi manufacturer... nothing to do with LS3/5a.

Right.

bhazen likes this.
  23. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Right.

24. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

25. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Stuart Tyler has been quietly selling another LS3/5A-sized speaker for a couple of years, the Celef LS-8. Apparently he is assembling them himself and selling them on eBay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.