Jethro Tull Stand Up Deluxe (11/18/16 release date)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hbbfam, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

I feel your pain ... :agree:

Try to let it go; unless you're gonna buy another to keep unused ... we're OCD, folks like us ... :uhhuh:

Can hardly expect the ol' girl to remain virginal if we use her, now can we ? ;)

(Apologies for sexist metaphor...)

Kim Olesen likes this.
  2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I didn't any experience any problem with it (yet). Anyway, I have read it already, so it's going to stay closed for a long while, I guess.

jsayers likes this.
  3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Has anyone else experienced a problem with the DTS layer not working on the DVD?

4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

No problems with DTS on the DVD here.

rstamberg likes this.
  5. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Any word on when this will be released on vinyl?

6. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

Got my Stand Up Elevated Edition today. So I unpacked and shock and horror - what? I didn't order a book dammit! But ahh found three discs in the last pages :D

It ripped fine with DVDAE, now on my server :)

Keith V and Deek57 like this.
  7. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

"Stand Up" is one of three great LPs by this group.

A lot of fun to play it, to this day.

Ed Hughes and Vorlon like this.
  8. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I received my copy of Stand Up (The Elevated Edition) yesterday from amazon.com. I gave the stereo remix CD a spin, and I came away pleased with the result. Steven Wilson was pretty successful in his quest to stay true to the original mix and also upgrade the sound quality. The biggest improvement I hear is an increased sense of delicacy and finesse in the treble. Clive Bunker's cymbal work has more clarity and air with less noise coming along for the ride. Articulation is the word the audio scribes would use. Also, the sound is more fleshed out. There's more body in the bass and midrange.

In short, the improvements are similar to those I experienced with the remix of Aqualung, but not to the same degree. The remix is less brash, less harsh, less crude than the original. Of course, some may not like this take on Stand Up, and therefore, they may prefer the original. But hey, that's OK too as the original mix is preserved in high resolution on the DVD.

FVDnz, Plan9 and Vorlon like this.
  9. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

Yes, I had to turn my head around a few times with regard to the treble. I thought it was something ambient (from outside my flat) but it was from my hifi.

10. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I played the 2.o remix on CD yesterday as I live in a 2.o world and I was thrilled with it. I am in the camp where I have always appreciated a SW remix, but rarely was I blown away by them. They did what they did, and things were usually better for it, but something always seems to nag at me where I somehow get a sense of the digitalness of things done to accomplish it; it is probably my mind playing tricks on me more than anything, but they tend to have a bit of slickness to them perhaps, where I don't feel totally sucked in on an organic level I suppose. With Stand Up none of that lingered, in fact it was the first time I can remember where there was no characterization to the remix other than the music itself. I don't know enough about this album to compare or comment beyond that, but it was a wonderful musical experience with lots of wonderful imaging delights even in 2.0, all well highlighted and plenty organic.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was something new in someone's transfer, mixing, or mastering chain; maybe a new ADC perhaps. More likely though it is just a case of SW being on top of his game and all the tricks he has learned in the past meeting a really good tape ready for the picking. Again I loved this remix, wonderful stuff, great album.

Norbert Becker, Doug_B, FVDnz and 5 others like this.
  11. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Very fine remix. I would, however, have liked if SW had moved all vocals center. And drums too.

folkfreak likes this.
  12. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

yes, but it is better on the remix than on the original mix.
    I can hear that much more comfortable with my headphones.

johnny q and Kim Olesen like this.
  13. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

Not a bad idea....but then you would have a thousand old geezers pissed off...complaining that SW botched the remix.:)

Peace,
    Tony

FVDnz, aoxomoxoa, Plan9 and 5 others like this.
  14. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

^ "... old geezers ... "

What the ... ? ? ?

Why you, I oughta ... :wantsome:

FVDnz, SirMarc, jsayers and 3 others like this.
  15. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

the video of the 2 songs is terrific, never saw them perform this young before.

16. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Ditto here.

17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

No, but I've had another vexing problem with both this and Benefit on my Oppo BDP80: After a playing for a while, it will just freeze up completely and I have to turn off my player. I don't think I've had this kind of a total lock up on any of my other music DVD/BR stuff on this player. Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice would be appreciated.

18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Ed Hughes likes this.
  19. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Clear the Persistent Storage on the player. That should clear it up.

20. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

Has anyone received a copy with the dvd in the paper envelope that was NOT scratched on arrival? Thanks.

21. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Mine wasn't scratched

22. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

It surprised me to read that Ian Anderson ranks Aqualung in his top three Tull albums. I thought he wasn't very keen on it. For example, he's very hesitant to praise it in the interview that's on the wretched Aqualung '96 reissue.

As usual, the liner notes as excellent. I really enjoyed reading about their reflections on the early US tours, seeing the Elvis show and lip-synching TV performances. Martin Barre's story about Top Of The Pops is amusing but also quite sad. It shows, I suppose, what a successful band has to fight - being the flavour of the month, without most of the "fans" really liking or caring about the music.

23. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Do any of the vocals sound different? Ians voice sounded a bit dorky in A new day. Sings with the top of his throat. A bit of reverb would fix it. How's the remixed version?

John Buchanan likes this.
  24. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

As much as I admire the guy, I do tend to tire of his interviews. He likes to talk about himself a lot and I get the impression that he is being creative with his embellished recollections. You may find that on the matter of Aqualung he expressed a different rating for it in the past than he does now. Many of the accounts of the original "band life" and "band issues" are told differently by My Anderson than the other band members. At different times he has loved or hated A Passion Play and I think he has changed his position on Thick As A Brick now that Prog is a bit more acceptable/popular.
    Saying that, when I'm in the right mood I find Ian quite "chatty" and he spins a good yarn.

Consider Ritchie Blackmore as a contrast - the interviews I have seen of him appear to be straight out trolling and leg-pulling. Every reply is a wind up.

25. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

Can I ask which seller you bought from? My copy came from Amazon.com.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.