Rolling Stones Blue and Lonesome vinyl or cd?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by btltez, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

It's not. It sounds like any old blues record, except on flat, quiet vinyl

sjaca and Clanceman like this.
  2. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I'd say stuff along the lines of "The Storm", "Doom & Gloom", "Plundered My Soul", "Rough Justice", and "Back of My Hand" would be more along the lines of what I'm hoping for...

3. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

look at the times, we posted at the same time !

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  4. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Just my opinion but it seems as compressed.

5. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

What the hell is the point of recording fully analog and then digitally bricking a vinyl record?

Oh, my mistake... two vinyl records?

As an aspiring engineer, I know that sometimes you need to just do as you're told, and a lot of people don't understand that louder is not better... but I'm really starting to wonder if Marcussen is actually the one pushing for this.

bluesbro likes this.
  6. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I do not get you. If I get the record (I suppose this is what you meant), then the CD mastering is not crap?

7. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Unless the CD is not Keef approved...:cheers:

8. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Got the CD yesterday and it's the perfect disc to play driving 70mph. Maybe that's where they got the idea for the music video...

Davidmk5 likes this.
  9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

:rolleyes:

Clanceman likes this.
  10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

He means that 90% of the time the record will have better sound than the CD.

Coricama, telepicker97 and Clanceman like this.
  11. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

I just got the album on 24 bit/88 kHz files from ProStudioMasters for $17.59 US.

Not sure if it needs hires audio, but the price seemed good.

Cheers,
    Paul

12. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

The opening riff of "Little Rain" is totally the murky, swampy sound ala "Dancing With Mr. D" from Goats Head Soup. I can't not think of it every time that creepy guitar starts the song. Very nice moment and super cool that Keith can still get spooky when he wants to.

13. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Good observation

MRamble likes this.
  14. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Hell yes!

superstar19 and Tommyboy like this.
  15. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Just to be clear - you're de-amplifying by 10 dB prior to applying the "clip fix" effect, right? That's per the instructions here:

Clip Fix - Audacity Manual »

I did the -10 dB amplify/95% clip fix to my hi-res files, and it's definitely an interesting change.

Cheers,
    Paul

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    TonyCzar likes this.
  16. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

Love this album....best in decades.

17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Used the Best Buy coupon and picked this up for 9.99 (ill get the vinyl for xmas from inlaws). I love the early Stones records best so this thing is right up my alley. Great performances by these old pros. Jagger sounds great. Glad they are still here doing their thing.

18. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Anymore feedback on the vinyl of this one?? Reading through this I have only seen a few comments that seem to be mixed. I think I gotta get it for the artwork alone. Listening to this on Spotify right now and it is absolutely old-school badass! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeees! Just what the doctor ordered! Jesus, between this, the new Metallica, Floyd reissue series, Neil Young reissue series, and now Tom Petty box sets coming out, this year has absolutely killed it for new vinyl! And killed my bank account too! :doh:

19. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

The only artists I know of today (I know there might be a few more) that put out consistently audiophile quality vinyl are Neil Young and Mark Knopfler.

20. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

No, I didn't de-amplify by 10 db. I just loaded the files in, de-clipped, then experimented with reducing the amplitude and (in this instance) adding bass boost until I found what sounded right to me. For each track of Blue and Lonesome, load the track into Audacity, de-clip, de-amplify -4 db (subtract 4 from the individual Amplication of each track. So, if a track, after declipping, is amplified +6.2 db, change the Amplification to +2.2 db), then bass boost 2 db. Repeat for each track. That sounds great to me.

I'm aware of what you are referring to in the manual. However, I've de-clipped several hundred albums (because almost everything is clipped these days) and have developed my own methodology. I find the clip fix feature fantastic...it seems to almost always improve sound (even on non-clipped/marginally clipped tracks). The improvement is often staggering, IMO. But you have to figure out the 'sweet spot' of amplitude in which the bass & treble sound right. If you de-amplify -10 db you will lose a lot of bass. You can amplify or bass boost to add it back, but you have to figure out what sounds best for the particular track/album.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  21. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

You got download code inside the vinyl ? I didn't see one in mine at all ....

22. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

No download in mine either.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  23. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thats very unfortunate. Was it the US or Europe release?

24. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Made in France

25. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Thanks for that answer :righton:

Certainly a bummer .... i wanted the files for my car .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.