Do Rega 'tables run fast?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by eyeCalypso, Dec 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

4. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

6. They do a bit and there's a huge thread. Search it out. My rp6 clocks in at 33.7

Kundalini and Joey_Corleone like this.
  7. Except for the RP8 and 10 I think they do.

Kundalini likes this.
  8. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

I had the Rega P3 2016 for three months and did not notice or measure (using the RPM app) the fast speed people talk about.

9. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Yes my P3 ran quite fast. Even if you get one that runs at the correct speed, you'll still be dealing with speed instability. This is not unique to Regas though. Music Halls and Pro-Jects that use the same subplatter/rubber belt design all have the same problem. However, ignorance is bliss. These tables are totally capable of sounding wonderful.

10. Mel Harris

Mel Harris Audiophile since 1970!

I had a P3-24 that I clocked at 35 RPM with a test record.

Kundalini and Aftermath like this.
  11. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

This may not be appropriate for this thread since I don't know what type of turntable he has, but I gave a friend of mine some records which he loved. I came over one day and he was proudly playing Ted Nugent's "Free For All", one of the albums I recommended to him. I was shocked at how fast it was running. I almost asked him if he knew his turntable ran especially fast, but I decided to just keep my mouth shut and let him enjoy the music.

Additionally, I worked on a reissue project once that eventually saw a CD release. Tapes weren't available, so a needledrop had to be done, and the first needledrop we got came back also noticeably fast, so I rejected it immediately. Seems to me that there is an epidemic of speedy turntables out there!

Kundalini likes this.
  12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

My RP 6 ran fast...fixed a bit by buying a Groovetracer Subplatter, fixed a bit more by adding Rega white belts. But never right on.

Kundalini and HiFi Guy like this.
  13. If I was spinning a Ted Nugent album I would want it fast so it would be over quicker. :tiphat:

14. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Yes, but it's subtle. Mine appeared to be running slightly fast according to strobe disc.

Kundalini likes this.
  15. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

All inexpensive turntables have trouble with speed and speed stability.

16. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

I never noticed my RP1 running fast. I upgraded to a Rega Planar 3 2016 version with a Groovetracer subplatter and it's spot on. So the answer for me is no. I can't answer for this particular reviewer though.

17. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

According to the Turntabulator app, my RP6 runs between 33.4 and 33.6, depending on when I check it. But I'm too busy enjoying my records to really care. I can't hear the difference between 0.2 rpm so I'm fine with it as it is.

This is stock. I may upgrade to the Groovetracer sub platter at some point. I've heard another RP6 before and after this mod and it does make a difference. Mostly in background noise and overall stability. I didn't hear any speed difference but I am probably not that sensitive to it to notice anyway.

18. eyeCalypso

I've looked but can't find. Any tips?

19. eyeCalypso

Except for a good inexpensive direct drive.

20. Mikeybc

Mikeybc Listener

My RP3 runs 33.59 RPM, I can be a bit OCD about some stupid little things but this doesn't bother me,

tmtomh likes this.
  21. MarkNC

MarkNC Well-Known Member

Per my Shure Era V test record strobe band, my RP6 is right about on.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

For those that say you need to check speed with the stylus in the groove, how do you do that with a iphone lying on the platter? Can stylus drag make that much a difference compared to measuring with just the platter spinning by itself?

23. FulhamTarheel

FulhamTarheel Forum Resident

I've always heard they do, myself.

Kundalini likes this.
  24. missan

missan Forum Resident

I´m not sure why they state low-pass filtered freq, when they mean they are filtering the eccentricity of the record. It should be high-pass filtering. The measurements are a bit confusing.

25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

The iPhone is not a device meant to be used to check turntable speed. You need to get a strobe disc. The KAB strobe is one of the best and most accurate strobes and yes it can be used with the stylus in the groove.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.