Your favorite CLINT EASTWOOD western ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Richard--W, Dec 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Went with Outlaw but Good, Bad, was a very close second..

2. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

All Of Them. Would watch any one of them at any time.

Gregory Earl and Simon A like this.
  3. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Unforgiven is my all-time favorite movie.

Gregory Earl and klockwerk like this.
  4. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Those are my votes too.

For A Few Dollars More is my favorite of the Man With No Name trilogy.

daglesj and Holy Diver like this.
  5. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
    The Outlaw Josie Wales
    High Plains Drifter

are my top three.

Simon A likes this.
  6. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

I love them all, though the rape by Eastwood's character in High Plains Drifter has always bothered me.

Surprised to learn that the Wales piece was filmed as late as 1976.

7. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I had a tough time choosing only two. At two I feel like I'm making the cliche picks, Good Bad & Ugly and Unforgiven.
    A Fistful of Dollars is on par with them, which triggered Django two years later who's opening scene will always leave an impression on me as a great opening to a movie.

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

3 poll choices best soundtracks.
    Good Bad
    Joe Kidd
    Paint Your Wagon

9. Same two for me, "Unforgiven" for Eastwood's performance, and "The Good, The Bad And The Ugly" more for Eli Wallach.

I love that scene in the cemetery, with Tuco running madly through the headstones, looking for the right grave, and that music playing over it. Very effective.

EdgardV, the sands and GodShifter like this.
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, it's great and the music really aids the scene.

11. High Plains Drifter and Joe Kidd -two interesting Westerns that don't get the same love as several of his bigger movies.

Erik Tracy likes this.
  12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

What do you like about "High Plains Drifter"? I'm generally curious. There is talk that the High Plains Drifter and The Pale Rider are the same character. What do you think?

(Sorry, I like talking movies). :)

Dave Hoos likes this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I love The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly because of its indulgence. It takes the time to explore different plots and motivations. It never feels rushed and the build up is phenomenal. With the soundtrack I think it's an epic movie and should be mentioned in the same conversations as something like Lawrence of Arabia and Bridge Over the River Kwai.

14. The characters are essentially the same as they are both avenging demons sent to right an injustice. I don't think they are literally the same person, but very similar.

Dave Hoos and GodShifter like this.
  15. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

High Plains Drifter it seemed obvious to me he is the ghost of the murdered sheriff (although Clint apparently thought of the character as the sheriff's brother, so there is room for other interpretations).

One thing that always confused me about Pale Rider is how no reviewers ever pointed out the similarities with the classic film Shane.

GodShifter, Dave Hoos and Kyhl like this.
  16. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

The Outlaw Josey Wales and Unforgiven.

17. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

18. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Dyin' ain't much of a livin'."

Typical Clint non-sequitur.

This sentence makes no sense. Not even in the context of the film.

19. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sure they did. I remember when Pale Rider came out, all the reviews called it a blatant rip-off of Shane. I liked the mountainous location with its extreme slopes, a setting and terrain not commonly used in westerns but photographically interesting.

I love David Lean films more than TGTB&TU but Jarre's scores for Lean don't compare to Ennoi Morricone's TGTB&TU score. Not many scores do, Morricone's score is just way out there in the land of grand eloquent dissonance. I agree the build-up is phenomenal, but towards what? Spinng the camera around the cemetery? Without the music the ending would be nothing.

Actually, the scene I like most is at the beginning when Angel Eyes rides up to Stevens' house, where the boy outside is riding the mule in circles, and invites himself in for dinner. He ends up killing the family, and the wife faints with the camera spinning to her black-out. Dramatically it's an amazing scene that operates entirely on inference and suggestion. The acting, the eyelines, the looks exchanged, the worried wife, the boys knowing something is wrong, Stevens silently trying to figure out the stranger and how to survive the minutes, his resignation, the shot structure, the way the scene plays out. Everything is perfect. Lee Van Cleef is brilliant, leering and sneering and arrogant as hell. It is directed and shot brilliantly. I think it's the best ten minutes Leone ever did. The rest of the film has it moments but taken altogether they don't add up to greatness of this one ten-minute scene. I wish Van Cleef had made entire movies just like this scene.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  20. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I think ''The Good, The Bad And The Ugly'' is not only his best western, but also his best movie.

conjotter, Mark E. Moon. and EdgardV like this.
  21. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I think ''A Fistful Of Dollar'' should get more credit not only for being a great western, but for being the first film of it's kind to make an impact on American and worldwide movie audiences, and in the process making Clint Eastwood a star.

Simon A and Kyhl like this.
  22. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Dude, seriously?

Dave Hoos and beat_truck like this.
  23. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

The Outlaw Josey Wales, Unforgiven, The Good etc etc and High Plains Drifter. To be honest, I enjoy most of these, but I'd need to watch Joe Kidd and Hang 'em High again. Only thing I don't like about Pale Rider is that dumb martial arts stuff with the pick handles at the start. It's just out of place.

Simon A likes this.
  24. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

25. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

The rape scene in High Plains Drifter is a deal breaker for me. I love a good Eastwood oater, but I cannot watch this one when it comes on TV.

geralmar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.