Stones v. Beatles breakup?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by doc021, Sep 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

i deliberately said in a psych context, i was aware that it had been done before in a more avant guard experimental context and it was the kind of thing Joe Meek may have done had he thought of it but it wouldn't have been in a psych context.

2. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Hey tmoore, no hello? Only kidding. Until dumangl declared he liked "Gomper", I thought I was the only one on earth! I love it cause it is the furthest the Stones ever got to not sounding like the Stones. I love they tried and I love psychedelic music. It's got this odd atmosphere I love. But me and that poster are the only ones. Most would say the jam is filler cause it just didn't need to be almost 10 minutes. Most don't like either of those-in particular Stones fans.

tmoore likes this.
  3. muffmasterh

I'm only Sleeping certainly isn't ignored and MM's son is one of the tracks I'd certainly keep in a single disced White album....

and I'd echo what other 7 min 45 A sides were there before HJ ? there may be some but there are precious few above 4 mins let alone 7.

4. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Again, I meant songs longer than 3-4 mins(bare with me here, I'm typing quickly in between what little free time I get at work). And the one I had in mind was Dylans Like A Rolling Stone, which I think is much better & was the one of the first examples of a popular song going on for longer than the usual time. McCartney himself had high praise for it & it made Zappa want to quit music apparently. Hey Jude might be the first 7 min pop single though, and possibly the longest single ever when it came out(again, its too bad they went and edited Light My Fire)

muffmasterh likes this.
  5. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Did The Stones invent filler with Goin' Home, which was recorded in December 65 - over two and half years before Hey Jude? :)

6. muffmasterh

yes indeed and of course there were many album tracks of 7 mins or more that predated Hey Jude.

Mr. Grieves likes this.
  7. Mr. Grieves

It's definitely their best long song, though it didn't have much competition anyway depending on where you stand on Revolution #9

8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I saw the Stones in 73 when I was 12 years old, and I've spent 40+ years and 500-600 shows trying to replicate that feeling. Sometimes I think my memory of the show is colored by my youth and the fact that it was one of the first live shows I ever saw. But then I see something from Ladies and Gentlemen the Rolling Stones, and I realize - they were really THAT good. Damn.

RogerB likes this.
  9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The Beatles best post-Help tracks were ballads, and in my opinion many of them stand among the greatest songs ever written. In My Life, Michelle, Norwegian Wood, For No One, Eleanor Rigby, Here There and Everywhere, Strawberry Fields Forever, Fool on the Hill, Hey Jude, I Will, Across the Universe, Let it Be, Long and Winding Road, Something, Because, Golden Slumbers.

angelees likes this.
  10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

No

somnar likes this.
  11. Mr. Grieves

You'll find no argument with me on this

12. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

The best parts are Paul's demented screams.

Revolution 9 not a song but to me more interesting. My favorite long song would be "It's All Too Much" which is a psychedelic classic. Eight minutes + in unedited form.

Olompali likes this.
  13. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Little bit of trivia. John & Yoko's film company filmed this Stones show. Watch the credits. Butterfly films.

14. somnar

somnar Senior Member

No. They weren't equals during the 60s and a Stones breakup certainly wouldn't have elevated them.

15. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Imo Pink Floyd with Barrett would have been The Beatles biggest rival - but Syd flamed out

16. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

IIrc, J&Y were responsible for the 8 min all black filmed sound collage that began L&G

17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I don't know if you're joking, but the black screen was supposed to represent a dark arena before the Stones took the stage. I remember going to see the film, they were trying to replicate the concert experience with crowd noises from the back as I recall.

18. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

No. I remember reading (Rolling Stone?) that this was a purposeful creation by J&Y. Yes, it is the pre- concert experience. Perhaps the extended length was part of the concept.

19. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

The Stones only have a greater legacy based on quanity.
    They naturally leave more behind but it's of less wealth than our Beatles inheritence.

20. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

beetles had no clunkers......and none of stones had any solo careers.......case closed. done. next.

Darrin L. likes this.
  21. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

dr robert's not about bob. stones weren't as great as beetles for songwriting. come on, dude. get reality. what planet are you on?

22. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

The Beatles also leave behind a lot of great solo albums as part of the legacy. The best of them (Ram,BoTR,POB,Imagine,ALMP)are equal to The Stones best IMHO

Never heard that one lol - Dr. Robert was about their LSD loving dentist

23. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Jeez. You're both those kind of guys that treats your own opinions as the holy truth. Not much left for other people's opinions, I guess. A shame. What planet are YOU on?

RogerB and Mr. Grieves like this.
  24. Skywheel

Skywheel Forum Resident

stones beetles scissors?

Stones smash beetles
    Stones smash scissors
    Scissors bisect beetles

Whaa--aat?

Now Beatles, Rolling Stones and Scissor Sisters would be a different game altogether.

One
    two
    three

Gotcha!

25. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

Interesting! Those are classics, no doubt. I have a different POV, in that the non-ballads are what excite me most about The Beatles, and post-Help is where things really get fascinating to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.