POLL: Bob Dylan's Street-Legal - your favourite track?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. 905

905 Senior Member

I was listening to some of this one last night.
    No Time to Think

3. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

"No Time to Think". I consider this a great Dylan album overall. I had to think to vote. :)

Gasman1003 and duggan like this.
  4. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

For me, "Changing of the Guards" is one of his best tracks ever.

5. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

"Senior," one of my all-time favorite Dylan songs from any album, any era.... I also really like "Changing of the Guards" and most of the album -- "Where Are You Tonight," and "True Love Tends to Forget" in particular, but for me "Senior" is an all-timer.

6. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

This is really hard. "Changing of the Guards" has such a great arrangement and some stirring lyrics, while "Where Are You Tonight" is as epic as it can get. But I'm gonna go with "Señor"... enigmatic, spooky...love it. (Honorable mention for "New Pony".)

7. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Changing of The Guards is a great opener. Where Are You Tonight is also great, so too Señor.

duggan likes this.
  8. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

You should also ask which version of Street Legal people prefer ? The original 1978 mastered down a wind tunnel, or the remastered 1999 version with the extra minute, almost, on Changing of the Guards. For what it's worth, I prefer the 1999 version.

905 and stef1205 like this.
  9. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

"New Pony"

Very good Dylan album, but not in my top 10.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  10. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Bizarrely underrated album. Maybe his last great one, with the exception of Love and Theft. So far, that is...

11. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Changing Of The Guards by a long way.

Frittenköter likes this.
  12. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

The 1999 version is a remix. Most people, me included, prefer it. The newly remastered original mix (only available in the complete album collection) is not shabby either.

Very good album, it was hard to choose a single track, but I went with Senor.

13. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

Señor for me.

I love this album too, and it is entrenched in my top 10 Dylan albums.

14. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

Lots of great tracks here. Everyone will go with Changing or Señor, so I went with "No Time To Think." I see "We Better Talk This Over" has no votes and I love that song and almost voted for it.

15. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Changing Of The Guards

Frittenköter likes this.
  16. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Side 2 is one of the most underrated Dylan album sides ever - I think people hear a bit of "Is Your Love In Vain?" and don't listen to the rest. IYLIV is probably the weakest track on here. I get why he started the side with it, the way it blasts in, but it seems a bit out of place otherwise.

"Where Are You Tonight?" gets my vote. It's such a great song, and I love how you can hear the band get excited about it as the song progresses and really get behind it. Great song plus great performance equals great Dylan moment.

17. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

One of my absolute favourite Dylan albums! Voted for the epic "Changing of the Guards".

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  18. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Senor is the top choice for me and then its Where Are You Tonight?, Changing of the Guards and either New Pony or True Love Tends to Forget. Not one of my favorite Dylan albums, but when I do listen to it, on a rare occasion, its good.

19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Can you cook and sew, make flowers grow
    Do you understand my pain?
    Are you willing to risk it all
    Or is your love in vain?

:p

Seriously though...it's one of those very even Dylan album where every track is a keeper.
    For entertainment, I always liked the bluesy groove of New Pony, where he ominously compares his ex-lover to the devil, and his new one indulges in voodoo...a definite pointer to his state of mind at the time and what happened next...

20. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

"Changing of the Guards" is a great song in a prime spot, very impressive. "Baby, Please Stop Crying" is in second place for me, but it took a while to appreciate the rest of the album. "Is Your Love In Vain" and "Senor (Tail of Yankee Power)" has grown on me in the last couple of months. This is the first Dylan I bought upon release, it has a soft spot for me.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  21. Changing Of The Guard with 'Where Are You Tonight' a very close second.

Best Wishes,
    David

duggan likes this.
  22. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Changing of the Guards

Frittenköter likes this.
  23. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

I love every second of this album, but yeah, gotta go with "Changing of the Guards." Classic Dylan lyric, fantastic arrangement (horns! organ! backing vox!), and best of all, Bob's totally audacious DGAF lead vocal. All the little ornaments and flourishes and bits of texture: "That's right, I'm a soul singer, wanna make something of it?"

It always takes a long time for me to get through the album because I have to stop and re-listen to several songs multiple times.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  24. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Feel the same way you do. Always loved this album and saw this Tour. :edthumbs:

cublowell likes this.
  25. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Guess I'm on my own here but I never really got into this album. Maybe it was the poor mixing to begin with or the seemingly sudden r-e-a-l-l-y nasally vocals that came out of nowhere that put me off. I do like 'Changing of the Guards' but plumped for 'Baby Stop Crying'. I should try it again I suppose. I can see the pitchforks and torches heading my way already, I'm out of here...

poolie likes this.