BBM (Baker, Bruce, and Moore) questions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Canuck Jazzguy, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I think Ginger couldn't stand Jack but knew that they had a musical bond that transcended all of the animosity.

John Buchanan likes this.
  2. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Ginger really sounds like he might not be the nicest of people. Love his playing, but have no desire to have met any of Cream.

3. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

I've never really understood what it was about Jack that rubbed Ginger the wrong way. None of the many other musicians who worked with Jack through the years had anything bad to say about him, as far as I know.

JulesRules likes this.
  4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

ginger always claims jack turned up his amps super loud on purpose and caused him to be deaf. that's one of the many things

5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Always seemed to me Ginger couldn't stand ANYBODY

ARK and Atmospheric like this.
  6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I suspect money was also a notable factor in his occasional reunions with Bruce. He certainly knew the public wanted to see/hear them together, regardless of how he might have felt.

By contrast, does Ginger have anything good to say about any musician he's worked with, aside from Eric Clapton?

jwoverho likes this.
  7. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I haven't listened to this cd in a very little no time. On another note I saw the doc of Ginger on Netflix a few weeks ago. Doesn't seem to be a very nice person. He has had a very interesting life though.

8. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

He's praised Steve Winwood as well.

keifspoon likes this.
  9. no time

no time Forum Resident

Is it too much to hope for a BBM live album?

rockclassics and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Canuck Jazzguy

Canuck Jazzguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the new Gary Moore biography ("I Can’t Wait Until Tomorrow" written by Harry Shapiro), I think Gary is quoted at one point as saying that the gigs in Spain were particularly outstanding.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

it seems clashes between Ginger and Steve Winwood tore Blind Faith apart tho'....

the Baker / Bruce issue goes right back pre-Cream to their days together in The Graham Bond Organisation

Ginger has said he ran the band not Bond and was not afraid to tell someone if he thought they were out of line etc - he described guitarist John McLaughlin (later of Mahavishnu Orchestra fame) as a 'right complainer'

Ginger seems to have been a difficult task master (to put it lightly) and was a dour mega blunt Londoner - Jack of course a fiery Glasgow Scot....

so the old England (London) v Scotland (Glasgow) friction must have existed between the two from the word go - BUT the two fired each other up to another level of playing which in Cream was so vital alongside Clapton's guitar

for all their personal friction (fist fights in the van, even pulling a knife so the tales go) it seems fiery Jack and blunt 'no holes barred' Ginger were so terrific together as a bass/drums combo that they worked together in group after group - Graham Bond Org / Cream / BBM etc

Matthew Tate, Hep Alien and Fred68 like this.
  12. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I don't think the Baker/Bruce problem was the main issue with BBM. The problem was more with Jack and Gary both being singers, front men, writers... each of them had a hard time stepping down and letting the other take the limelight for a while.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

I attended Ginger's 70th birthday gig at the Jazz Cafe in 2009. Steve made a guest appearance and there seemed to be a genuine warmth between the two - even more so from Ginger's side.

As an aside, I could have done with some of that friendliness when Ginger breezed passed me earlier on his way into the venue. I tried to get him to sign his autobiography but had no luck. Autographed copies were on sale inside the venue so I bought another copy.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

What are you basing that on? Did you see them live, or read an interview with one of the artists, or something else?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Read http://www.the-discographer.dk/vinyl/gary-moore-bible.pdf and you'll see where I'm coming from. What I've read from the official Gary Moore biography also seems to support that theory.

Fred68 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.