What is the worst film you have ever seen? (Pt. 3)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

damn, I wish I could have laughed like that when I saw the worst movies I saw.

2. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

I guess that I was thinking of redeeming social value. I was the only person in the theater and I was embarrassed that I was laughing so much.

Tree of Life likes this.
  3. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I saw Xanadu once and liked it so much that I bought the soundtrack the next day and then picked up the movie on laserdisc soon after. Great music, and I agree with the music video comment except that I think of it as a series of music videos.

4. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I forgot about Unobtanium. Just dreadful, and there are two more films on the way. I don't understand Cameron's enthusiasm for them. Surely one was enough.

5. I put it at #4 after Young Frankenstein, The Producers and Blazing Saddles. It's a good movie.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I like "Producers" - and I don't dislike "Saddles", as it has funny moments. I just don't think it's consistent enough to be a great film:

Blazing Saddles [Blu-Ray] (1974) »

7. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I don't even know why I tried to watch this - I hate both Christmas AND Will Ferrel, what was I thinking? Lots of people seem to love it, which baffles me. I think I made it through maybe 15 min's of this?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

With Michael Bay's Shakey-cam cinematography, the T & A would be too blurry!

9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Oh man, I love "Elf" and so does the rest of my family. "Elf" and "The Christmas Story" are so fun to watch each Christmas.

10. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm just about the most miserable Scroogiest counting-the-seconds-until-the-irritaing-nuisance-that-is-Christmas-finally-ends kind of guy you're ever likely to meet and even I don't have anything bad to say about 'Elf'!

11. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Tomorrowland. I really wanted to like that one, but no

12. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I think I qualified my HIGH ANXIETY comments well enough. I'm not a fan - it was the back end of a double-feature, so I wouldn't have purposely gone to see it. I find his stuff silly rather than funny - a personal preference. And I recognize that there are a number of folks who hold the film in some kind of high regard - and never disparaged any of those folks. Am I not entitled to an opinion in a thread that asked for them?

(Another reason why I don't like "worst" threads!)

13. sgb

sgb Senior Member

You got that right!

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Well, I was watching "Phantasm" again last night. I say again because it's about the 6th time I've started it, but I quit watching everytime because its so poorly shot, edited, acted, directed, scripted, I give up. So far I'm about 20 minutes into the movie. Last night I saw something new -- where they steal a bit from "DUNE" with putting the hand into a box. How did this one become a classic again? Well, someday I'll finish it.

15. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I don't know if this one has been discussed here, but I understand that it is a cult classic among the progressive intelligentsia. On the basis of a single positive review I heard on the radio, I decided I would give this one a try... BIG mistake.

[​IMG]

driverdrummer likes this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I get people that don't like Elf. On the surface, it's utterly ridiculous all the way around. That kind of film had to be very, very difficult to make. If too serious, it would have totally bombed because obviously none of what happened would happen in real life. But if you get to stupid ridiculous, that is exactly what you get and you bomb again. Somehow some way they found a perfect balance and that is the ONLY reason the film worked. And, the acting was spot on, and how ironic is that for the subject matter! It is a harmless, fun film if you can just be in the right frame of mind, and James Caan is great. I think he grounded the film, as much as it could be, and his responses were believable in a fantasy way. I think he centered the film and made the whole thing work. You have to really respect film makers who make comedies. How do you really know if it's truly funny after you film each scene 15 times? I think it comes down to the producer/director really believing in it from day one. Maybe that's no different from any other genre of film, but it's pretty obvious if you have a bad comedy on your hands during the preview! I can't imagine, however, anything more exhilirating than previewing a comedy that works.

kouzie and yesstiles like this.
  17. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Get Shorty.

Lightworker and Ghostworld like this.
  18. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Titantic. When the old fool threw a priceless neckless into the deep at the end I actually laughed out loud in the theater. The mingling of the classes throughout the film was also laugh out loud funny.

Rufus McDufus and Fullbug like this.
  19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

The mingling might have been funny (not to me, but I get it) but I bet the scenes give a pretty realistic sense of what it was like back then. Throwing a pricesless neckless in the ocean...ya, that was awfully Hollywood! It did make a point though. I think a lot more people probably let out a gasp though.

20. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Gotta, has to be....

Godfather III. I took my mom to see it with me. Even she yawned.:shrug:

21. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

22. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

What's the difference? It's why The Room is so great. Laughing at a really bad movie is fun. Sure beats being bored out of your mind.

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The point I made is that if you laugh with a film, I don't see why you'd call it a bad movie.

If I see a movie and laugh where the filmmakers wanted me to laugh, they've succeeded - ie, not a bad movie.

If I laugh were laughs aren't intended, then that's a bad movie.

I got the impression Geoffr laughed at intentional jokes and he didn't laugh because the movie was terrible...

24. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I agree that it was not a very good movie. I tried to watch it on USA Up All Night but it just wasn't interesting or funny.

25. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

Event Horizon. Awful. Simply awful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.