Black Sabbath Deluxe Editions January 22, 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

There has never been a "volume spike" issue on "War Pigs" on any of the UK CDs. This is a problem which appears to be exclusive to Warner's tape.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  2. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I stand corrected. But still, I think that the 2012/2016 Paranoid remaster is one of the best-mastered CDs I've ever heard. This is a great reissue series. Can't wait for the reissues of the later material.

driverdrummer and eric777 like this.
  3. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Correct

4. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Honestly, to my ears it just didn't sound as clear. Someone else on here commented that it had a murky sound to it which I happen to agree with. I don't think I have ever actually heard a perfect version of vol 4 but I am ok with the 2016. Just my opinion I guess.

I think I was wrong in my previous comment in the since that I lumped it into the same category as the black box version which I should not have. The 2009 was not near as bad as the black box version.

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

The 2016 SABOTAGE made me fall in love with that album all over again. Even "Supertzar" :angel:

6. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

The Black box is horrible.

For vinyl, I have the first one and MOR deluxe from QRP, and Past Lives. Paranoid I got the colored reissue (best version I've ever owned), and Sabatoge I got the colored reissue.

My SBS is an original NEMS, super clean. My Vol4 is the Rhino Bellman. TE I have a Vertigo and NSD a super clean WB 1st press.

I may spring for the colored NSD, just for funsies.

Digital is a mixed bag :

I have 24bit vinyl rips of everything, from multiple masterings/labels, Quad mixes etc, as well as the Hi-res deluxe downloads. My CDs are a mix of WB, Sanctuary, and Castle (got rid of those nasty sounding NEMS discs lol)

Basically, you've got to be flexible when it come to Sabbath lol

John Bliss and mikedifr0923 like this.
  7. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Thanks. So far I got the first 3 in the deluxe 2 LPs. I bought the rhino volume 4 but it sounds like absolute crap. Looks a little warped so gonna try another one of those.

The rest I'll probably just go with the recent colored vinyl

8. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident

Having owned the original WB cd and the 2009 of Volume 4, I'm partial to to the 86 Castle. As for the other 70's material, I've upgraded to the 2016 discs, the only other exception being MOR, for which I've chosen to go with the 2009. These are what sound best to my ears, but that's just mho.

9. telepicker97

The colored Vol 4 is garbage - get the 2010 black rhino if possible.

10. mikedifr0923

Thats the one I ordered but its all messed up....I think its just a bad one though, the arm was dancing on that one... Should have a new one coming tomorrow

11. mikedifr0923

Next on my list :D

12. telepicker97

The original WB CDs aren't bad (except Vol. 4 - ugg) - I think both NSD and Mob Rules in particular sound great. I also have NSD on Castle, and it sounds great, as does my 1st press WB vinyl. I think that album, for all the problems surrounding its birth, is very well recorded.

I want to check out the 2016 Vol 4; the orange vinyl is an abomination.

13. telepicker97

That is the only one of the new Deluxe or Colored Rhinos that just doesn't sound right.

Something happened. I don't know what. But something is NOT right. See if they'll send Sabotage instead.

14. mikedifr0923

I think you are misunderstanding me. I ordered the black Rhino. I heard about the difference and read on here a while ago to get that one.

The colored Sabotage is next on my list

15. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Does anyone here own the Master of Reality SHM-CD that came out in 2010, catalog number UICY-20106?

It uses the 2009 Pearce master, but curious if it offers any differences to the standard deluxe editions. I really like my Vol 4 SHM, and wouldn't mind picking it up.

16. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I owned it and sold it. It's the same as the 2009 CD except more expensive packaging.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  17. I have it, along with the rest of the Sabbath SHM titles in that series. As Tim said, it's effectively the same as the 2009 except it uses the SHM media which I personally find is a sonic improvement over the standard domestic version. That, along with an OBI and Japanese booklets, etc. My preference for this album is the SHM-SACD.

Master Of Reality [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release] [SACD] Black Sabbath SACD »

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  18. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Thanks. I really dropped the ball with those SACD's, and my only hope is that they reissue them somehow.

Jam757 and tkl7 like this.
  19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The 2009 booklets are bigger in size than the 2016 booklets, otherwise virtually the same. Also, some of the text is reformatted because of the size change.

20. Whistle

Whistle Forum Resident

Have these 2016 CDs the same masterings as the HDtracks 2014 versions?

21. David67

David67 Forum Resident

For CD, what do people recommend for the Ozzy albums?

22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

The original CDs for Blizzard, Diary, Bark, and Sin.

tkl7 likes this.
  23. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Oops my bad, I meant the Ozzy era for Black Sabbath's albums. Thanks anyway.

24. The eight albums from 1969-1979. All essential.

Holy Diver likes this.
  25. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Forgive me, I sold the black box years ago and the '86 Castle's. Now, I'm looking to replace them with the 2016 releases but just wanted to know if I should avoid any of the latest discs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.