Fleetwood Mac Rumours First Pressing ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockitman, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Cool. You should be in for a treat :0)

marcfeld69 likes this.
  2. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

I shall report back ... btw, would you describe this cover as 'textured', assuming it's the same as mine (does it have the same spin no.?).

3. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

Yep, it's the one you want, I have the same version.
    Cut at Capitol by Ken Perry and pressed in Japan from imported metal parts.
    Best of both worlds; US mastering and high quality Japanese pressing.

pexie, john lennonist and marcfeld69 like this.
  4. marcfeld69

Update. There are a few crackles here and there, and a serious case of IGD on the end of Side 1 but the sonics are pretty good, especially the soundstage. I haven't got anything to compare it with right now, not even the CD, but I like the sound of Steve's remaster I have been reading about here. Need to give it a few more spins.

5. marcfeld69

Thanks. Obviously, my copy isn't in pristine condition, though it really looked it. But great to know what I have!

6. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

No worries. Did you clean it before playing?

7. marcfeld69

On
    Only with a brush. I don't have a heavy-duty cleaner yet. It really doesn't look that dirty. I wonder if Steve's version is still available.

8. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Its the dirt you cant see thats the killer. Definately clean it before you decide its not a keeper. Pretty sure you could still get Steve's.

john lennonist and marcfeld69 like this.
  9. marcfeld69

Thanks. Are there any particular cleaners people recommend around here? I'm just getting into vinyl.

10. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I usu Disc Doctor miracle cleaner. There are many home brew solutions around as well, just do a search here. Cleaning your records, even brand new ones is ultra important for clean playback with minimal noise. You may well find that crackle on your copy of Rumours is better or even eliminated after a thorough clean.

john lennonist and marcfeld69 like this.
  11. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

Mine has the textured cover with:

Side A - BSK-1-3010-F18
    Side B - BSK-2-3010-F21
    has kp and cj written in the deadwax with Mastered at Capitol stamped.

12. hornsz

hornsz Forum Resident

If you are just starting out, try the Spin Clean system for a while. Does a credible job. Use the search function and a ton of information will also come up. Also, search "Wood Glue". I thought they were all crazy but I tried it with success.

The wood glue technique improved light surface noise and in a couple of cases, small blemishes in the vinyl (ticks / pops) were removed.

Both methods are good inexpensive solutions before the big VPI purchase.

13. marcfeld69

Thanks, I have to look into this. I've barely got started yet with my vinyl knowledge. Bill of Bill's Box of Sounds podcast was recommending one in particular a while back. I have to go back and check.

14. marcfeld69

Thanks. That name is certainly memorable, if nothing else, but it sounds good.

15. sunderling

sunderling New Member

Hello. i have a Rumours i think is first press.
    My dead wax says. BSK-1-3010 SM1 F1 #2 and then a triangle followed by 21970 KP mastered by capitol.
    B-side says BSK-2-3010 TH2 F1 #3 KP mastered by capitol. What kind of version have i and what does it mean? Thankful for answer

marcfeld69 likes this.
  16. 2.1Channels

2.1Channels Forum Resident

Figured I'd try to answer this, I believe that you have absolute first-cut lacquers(F1), stampers(or mothers?) #2 and # 3 respectively. Side one was plated at Columbia-Santa Monica, and Side Two at Columbia-Terre Haute, Indiana. Sorry if it isn't perfectly accurate.

Curious to how many of these lacquers were actually from the first original tape. I'm sure it's a mixed bag considering there were a few different side 2 versions cut.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    marcfeld69 likes this.
  17. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

That was Columbia-Santa Maria. But oftentimes with titles like this, metal parts from different plants "got around." I've seen Pitman pressings with Terre Haute or Santa Maria stampers on one side.

I wish I were, pal, I wish I were. But such things are very important in terms of identifying where a copy was pressed.

john lennonist likes this.
  18. Cclarkb3

Cclarkb3 New Member

Ok so I spent the better part of 3 hours last night trying to figure out my pressing and I am still a little puzzled. I have the textured sleeve and the palm tree logo. Mastered by Capital stamped in dead wax. Side 1 has BSK-1-3010-SUN-P F1. Side 2 has BSK-2-3010-SUN-P F1.
    From what I can gather, SUN-P stands for Sun Plastics Co. In Newark New Jersey and F1 means the laquer was cut on the F lathe at Capital (a Neumann) and its the first laquer. Someone pleade correct me if any of that is in accurate. What I am most confused by is what seeems to be the innitials GC in the dead wax. GC could stand for Greg Callbi. There is another very feint marking that I cant make out. Is this considered a first pressing and how rare is it. Please someone help before my brain explodes.

19. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

The original cuttings were done by Ken Perry so it would need to have his "KP" in the deadwax to be original.

marcfeld69 and c-eling like this.
  20. Cclarkb3

Cclarkb3 New Member

Thanks for the quick response!

21. SallieParadise

SallieParadise New Member

Hi Everyone, I'm going through my vinyl collection and I have a Rumours copy that I can't seem to find info about. I have a textured outer sleeve copy with Matrix #'s:

Side A: BSK-1-3010 WW2 F11 Terre Haute
    Side B:BSK-2-3010 P2 F11 Terre Haute Plating Dept RH

'mastered by capitol' and 'kp' marked in the runouts. Potentially the letter A as well? Or a V...it's kind of hard to see.[​IMG]

Manufactured By Columbia House Under License sticker on back of outer sleeve.

22. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

What's the question? Sounds like you have all the info right there.

john lennonist and Cassius like this.
  23. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

So if I'm reading this right I think I can make 3 assumptions...

1) All copies with the palm tree labels that have "Mastered by Capitol" and KP in deadwax were mastered by ken Perry and are somewhat early pressings.
    2) All the copies with palm tree labels that have "Mastered by Capitol" and KP in deadwax all have the letter "F" followed by a number on them in the matrix code?. With F1 being a first press, and so on and so on.
    3) Since this was remastered several times and pressed so many times at so many different places... we shouldn't assume that earlier presses i.e. low number following the F are going to be in any way shape or form superior to presses with higher numbers following the F.

Please correct me if any of this is not accurate.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  24. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

F1 = the first lacquer cut, not first press.

marcb, Echoes Myron and fluffskul like this.
  25. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

sorry i knew that, so each lacquer cut is a unique mastering? whereas each press, isn't necessarily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.