Aerosmith Rocks SACD surfaces

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by Steve Martin, Dec 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

To be clear, I was joking--I don't know what the last one sold for :)

bru87tr and eddiel like this.
  2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You got me. ;)

3. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

I think a copy sold on eBay for around US$ 1500 some years ago. Probably the same one that is offered now.

AaronW likes this.
  4. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

That is right, EW did sell it on ebay.

AaronW and mdm08033 like this.
  5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Interesting that someone thinks the value has increased tenfold when nowadays you can probably download a hi-res version from HD Tracks for $20. Does it at least have a surround mix? Doesn't look like it.

bru87tr likes this.
  6. joachim.ritter

It's just a collector's item. I would pay US$ 1500 for it. Maybe someone else would pay US$ 3000. But he will not find one who pays US$ 15000.

nightflight75 and bru87tr like this.
  7. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Let me fix that....

[​IMG]

No, I'm not the seller. And I don't own the SACD in question.

8. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I still say there are a good few copies out there. And I still say debate here on SH Forums about this SACD is tantamount to atoms on the tip of the iceberg.
    I cannot believe that there are twice as many copies of this SACD in Ireland than there are in the United States.
    So Oatsdad you need to get your hiking boots on and start a searching. If two guys from Ireland can separately find a copy, I reckon a few American forum members can do it too.:D
    Here's my sealed copy.

[​IMG]

tmtomh, Dave, wynnwikman and 2 others like this.
  9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Very cool.

10. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Hey you posted a picture without a bid of $10 grand. :laugh:

tmtomh likes this.
  11. joachim.ritter

Probably in a landfill somewhere ... ;)

It seems as if the item was produced, a few promos given away, and then the project cancelled.

tmtomh likes this.
  12. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Actually I have had a few substantial offers in the last 3 years, some even from guys here. One offer in excess of $5000 from a guy (from Germany) who offered to pick it up in person.
    As a collector, I couldn't do it.
    What's the point in collecting if you flog off your best stuff? ;)

eelkiller and wynnwikman like this.
  13. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I have been back and forth on that. At some point though, the return is too great and can able you to buy some toys that will bring way more happiness than a CD.

tmtomh, Galley and carrolls like this.
  14. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Yeah very true. Collecting is a craziness when you analyze it. Its also a great buzz that does not require chemical stimulants.

15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

lol

It's funny though. Collectors will talk about how much it's worth but you ask them if they'll sell and the answer is almost always "no" :)

I was talking a record dealer at a show and he said "I knew I had decide between being a dealer and a collector, otherwise I'd never sell anything" Pretty much sums it up. That doesn't mean collectors won't sell thing, I do all the time.

The thing I find about selling stuff that is high in value, I generally do it to pay for another item I want rather than to prop up my savings account.

Would I sell a copy of this SACD for $5,000 if I had one? Sure I would and I'd turn around and by a pre 70 Eames recliner in NM condition.

I always think "What's the point if I don't get something nice out of it" :D

AaronW and carrolls like this.
  16. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I am a bit like those guys on American Pickers on the History Channel who never want to sell anything. :D

17. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

What happens if one of the audiophile labels releases another SACD version of this? What would that do do the value?

18. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

19. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Personally I don't care. I paid list price for mine. Anything more is a bonus.

tmtomh likes this.
  20. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

However chemical stimulants are considerably cheaper, and do not clutter your home!

21. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

22. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Sorry, but if there was anything more than a handful of copies out there we'd have seen it by now. It was released in 2000 and in 17 years, with people sharing info over the Internet and sites like ebay where this fetches big money, only 3 have surfaced!! It's just not very likely at all that this would be the case if thousands or even hundreds had sold. I would say just about impossible.

But there are three known copies then. I think it's likely there are a few more but my bet is less than 10, which means the odds of winning the lottery are higher than finding a Rocks SACD. Unless a box of these is sitting somewhere, forgotten about, until someone finds them and starts selling them off.

But yeah...I'm going to have to start looking for this every time I visit a record store.

23. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Not all people who own a copy of Rocks SACD even know about this place. That is the bottom line.
    A friend of mine who owns a copy didn't know about this place until I showed him the Rocks SACD Survey thread here a few years ago. He, his wife and myself had a great laugh going through that thread. He didn't even know it was valuable.
    His wife joked "Why are you even playing it if it is so valuable? And don't sell that SACD to any of those guys". :D

Aerosmith "Rocks" SACD survey

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  24. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Sure, but how many do you think must have sold for only 3 known copies to have popped up over 17 years? I would say that's the bottom line. Most people don't know about this place...I agree with that. But most of those people probably know about sites like ebay and Craigslist and used stores where they could sell their Aerosmith discs when they no longer want them. When I walk into my local used CD store, they are never short on discs from bands like Aerosmith.

There is really only one fact to go on - 3 copies in 17 years. Well, also that and San Francisco, Hollywood, and Kansas City. Everything else is just an assumption.

You've got a really cool item though and I hope some of us will have the same thing one day. The story of this SACD is pretty fascinating. Can't believe we don't have an explanation for what happened from someone at the record company.

25. If you didn't know what a single-layer SACD was, it would have been very easy to think you had a defective Rocks CD on your hands. Say 250-500 copies were pressed and only 100 made it into circulation on the used market. I'd wager some people came across this fabled SACD and chucked it in the trash when it refused to play on their CD player.

bru87tr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.