What is the worst film you have ever seen? (Pt. 3)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Understood, but if you laugh anyway that's still better than being bored s---less for 2 hours watching The English Patient.

2. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Private screening!

3. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Is there any thought that some movies are purposely made to be bad, i.e., as deliberate losses to provide shelter for other studio income?

4. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Interesting question. In other industries, shady dealings include the leasing of equipment which never actually moves but is then depreciated to provide tax write offs. Wouldn't surprise me if these films cover similar territory for the movie biz.

5. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

It really changes the way you think about movies, doesn't it? Like if you knew that certain NFL or NBA games were thrown, people would quickly lose interest in pro sports. If some movies were "thrown," people would be reluctant to go to first run movies.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Huh?? You have to be joking! One of my favorite films, but I love the movie industry so maybe that's why. I have a feeling those characters act awfully close to how many real actors behave. A well written, well acted film imo. Even the credit sequence and music is awesome. Just surprised to see it mentioned.

aussievinyl and GLENN like this.
  7. Bobby Buckshot

Hence my interest Dan Moldea's book Interference

8. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

In the theater? CONGO.

On a small screen? Megaforce, maybe?

9. I doubt this. Unlike with sports events, you've got word of mouth and reviews to warn the public of stinkers. And some "tax loss"-type films might actually be really good but just not geared to the tastes of the mass market.

Fullbug likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Fastnbulbous and Drifter like this.
  11. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

everyone I know loves it. I loathe it.

LOVE it! in fact.....its become quite timely

12. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Either Battlefield Earth or Wired(the John Belushi biopic)

13. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

I've seen many movies I consider outright horrible, but the only two movies I've shut off way before the end were "Eraserhead" and "V For Vendetta".

14. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Sorry, cheesy and bad.

15. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Battlefield Earth is so bad it's almost as bad as the book. L. Ron Hubbard was/is a complete charlatan and a horrible writer to boot.

16. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Anything rated over 50 on Rotten Tomatos.

17. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

You honestly think this is more unbearable than something like "Drop Dead Fred" or "Freejack"?

18. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Can't Say. Never seen either.

19. Bobby Buckshot

Amen. "V" was ok, but I gave Eraserhead about 10 more minutes that I should have before I cut it off. Once the "baby" made an appearance I was out.

20. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

I admit that Eraserhead is a fascinating film; Kubrick was a huge fan, I hear. I admire it, but can't really stand to watch it. Lynch is so good at making a film in the language of dream logic that it's like being trapped in someone else's nightmare for 90 minutes. I collect classic horror films, but they usually don't scare me per se. The mutated baby/monster being cut open in Eraserhead, though, makes me so uneasy that I will still have a nightmare of my own after seeing it again at my advanced age. I'm not sure what sort of achievement that is, but it's still an achievement.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  21. Bobby Buckshot

Very good analogy. I think he does this better in subsequent efforts. Eraserhead's atmosphere just overwhelmed the movie for me.

22. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

I've never seen this all the way through, but it has a strong cult of fans.

23. Oatsdad

Funny - when I reviewed the "Eraserhead" Blu-ray, I commented that it felt like it was a dream that Lynch transcribed and then made a film about it.

I didn't mean this as a compliment! :D

Honestly, my biggest issue with "Eraserhead" is that it's boring. It would've worked better as a short film, but across 90 minutes, it gets tedious...

24. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Wow. I've never found 'Eraserhead' boring. It's probably my favorite film of all time and quite likely the one I've watched the most often. Totally sucks me into its reality every time; which is what all good films should aspire to, no? And I had the soundtrack album memorized long before I ever got to actually see the film itself. From sound design to cinematography to dialogue; it checks off nearly every required box. As a horror/comedy hybrid it works even better than 'Scream.'

Of course, to be fair, I would have to acknowledge that I don't see "boring" as a criticism so much as a description. As someone who practically grew up on Warhol movies, "boring" movies (from 'Barry Lyndon' to 'The Brown Bunny') are just fine with me. Lots of my favorite movies are boring. Lots of my favorite books and albums, too.

25. Oatsdad

So you're saying "Eraserhead" totally sucks? Right on! ;)

Hey, it's cool you like the movie, but I think it's more of a loose-form collection of visual vignettes than an actual "film". It bores me because the "narrative" really doesn't go anywhere - it just rambles from one weird segment to another... :shrug:

93curr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.