Why are the Early 60's so Disliked?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosskeenneat, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

****ing fantastic!

2. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Early 60's:
    John Coltrane Quartet w/ McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones
    Miles Davis Quintet with rotating Tenor Saxophone greats: Hank Mobley, Sam Rivers, George Coleman
    Thelonious Monk Quartet with Charlie Rouse
    Ornette Coleman Quartet
    Charles Mingus
    Sonny Rollins with Jim Hall

Early 60's were great!

Jim Walker, Klassik and ash1 like this.
  3. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Most rock fans focus on album oriented stuff.

With the advantage of hindsight, it's not too hard to discover that 1960-63 offered plenty of real rock and roll.

goodiesguy, Ophelia and Grant like this.
  4. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

They were great artists but lacked the broad appeal of Elvis, The Beatles, etc. especially in the early sixties. Now they have broad appeal, but in '61, 62' they were just hard working artists on their way to greatness. Plus RC, JB, and SC never shook the entire world the way Elvis and The Beatles did.

5. Beachbouys

Beachbouys Forum Resident

I couldn't believe the title of this thread. Some of the best music ever was made then.

troggy and Klassik like this.
  6. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Rhythm and blues?
    What is that?
    Never heard of it.

James Brown is more Soul and Ray is leaning that way.
    But yeah those are other great names but they still didn't change the general perception of early 60s music when compared to the late 60s and late 50s.

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah that was covered in the Muscle Shoals documentary. I don't recall racism entering the picture in the doc but her husband at the time had an issue with one of the horn players they called in for the session, who was not normally part of the Swampers, and who was hitting on Aretha, or her husband felt he was anyway.

When she resumed recording in NYC, Wexler, I think it was Wexler, asked if the Swampers wouldn't mind coming up to NYC to record and they did. So even though she didn't record it all in the Muscle Shoals studio, she did use the Muscle Shoals band.

seed_drill likes this.
  8. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Why would you say they are disliked ?

9. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

...not too much of the early 60's in great rock magazines "Mojo " or "Uncut" ....All begins in Liverpool 1963

10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I'd hardly call that list ball-less. Dion, Del Shannon, Ricky Nelson, Little Eva and others would like to have a word with you, sir.:)

goodiesguy, mlew, Grant and 2 others like this.
  11. ralphb

Except that it didn't.

sixelsix likes this.
  12. Oops I love Del, Roy, Dion, Everlies, Ray, etc., I was reacting to the Four Seasons, Ricky, etc.,

ralphb likes this.
  13. ralphb

I sort of figured you didn't mean everybody. We'll have to agree to disagree about the Four Seasons and Ricky Nelson.

zphage and seed_drill like this.
  14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

There was also a more deliberate targeting to a juvenile market than a lot of the "dangerous" 50's rock and roll or the 60's and later rock. And I would include early Beatles in this. Of course targeting continued to exist, but it didn't dominate the way it did in the "producer" era. In the early 60s college kids tended to gravitate towards folk or jazz, but from '64 or '65 on there was rock for young adults alongside the stuff for kids.

Grant likes this.
  15. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Well, technically he's right about Little Eva . . .

16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I don't remember who it was, but one of the artists expressed their horror at having to drive past sharecroppers picking cotton to get to the studio. This was still the segregated South at the time.

17. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I THINK that was Wilson Pickett. I seem to remember an interview with him where he landed at a small airport near the studio and on the way there looked out on the fields and asked "Is that what I think it is?"

That sounds like the incident you are referring to.

goodiesguy, seed_drill and sixelsix like this.
  18. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Dick Dale, Link Wray and Lonnie Mack also, I reckon.

19. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Ricky Nelson was great! Plus he had James Burton on guitar, probably one of the five greatest Tele players ever.

20. Yeah, It was funny that Wilson was scared of what he feared the south and southerns would be, and they were equally sacred of him being his 'badassness' and it worked out fine, particularly with that hippy kid Duane who was sleeping in a tent in the parking lot. great stuff.

Grant and seed_drill like this.
  21. Who also presided over Elvis' glorious 70s;), one could see a conspiracy...

sixelsix likes this.
  22. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

Everybody was named Bobby.

23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yeah, it was either in the Time-Life or PBS hustory of Rock serieses.

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That's interesting you mentioned Elvis Presley, because his broad appeal diminished in the early 60s. By 1963, he was already becoming a has-been, and started doing bad movies and Las Vegas.

Ray Charles' impact also decreased in the 60s. By 1964, he was doing lounge shows. ABC/Paramount Records may have scored big with him because of his "Modern Sounds In Country and Western" albums, but his hit days were basically over.

If you look at James Brown, his broad appeal only increased.

If Sam Cooke hadn't been murdered, who knows where he would have been today.

25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't know if the horn player was making passes at Aretha, but it definately did got racial with her husband, and it eventually involved Jerry Wexler and Rick Hall. IIRC, they fired the horn player, and Wexler never sent Aretha Franklin back there. He flew the Swampers up to NYC for sessions. Good thing they accepted! Those guys, plus Duane Allman and Bobby Womack created a hell of a backing band!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.