Great Forgotten Drummers In Rock Music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by keifspoon, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

Oh hell yeah.........Stan is the best. In my opinion, there are two versions of Tom Petty's Heartbreakers, the Stan Lynch and post Stan Lynch. Two different bands.

Picca, Christopher B and Holy Diver like this.
  2. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

John Deleone was the drummer for The Detroit Wheels. Man that guy could play his butt off.

3. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

How about Clyde Stubblefield from James Brown's band. The guy wrote the book on funky drumming.

4. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

Surprised that no one mentioned Chris Mars of the Replacements. Great drummer in my opinion, the Charlie Watts of Indie Rock.

5. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

alphonse is in the middle of a life threatening situation right now....prayers for him.

6. gratussi

gratussi Feelin' nearly faded as my jeans.

Pick Withers from Dire Straits

7. gratussi

gratussi Feelin' nearly faded as my jeans.

Jim (James) Fox - namesake of The James Gang

8. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

John Poulos from The Buckinghams.

9. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Guy was freaking great.

Haggis Wampovich and Fullbug like this.
  10. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Yes...There are quite a few talented percussionists out there !!! And some deserve never to be forgotten.

The late, great Ritchie Hayward, RIP.

Ciao,

Gregster

Joti Cover, MYQ1 and Picca like this.
  11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

He settled in Madison and ended up playing piano trio jazz on several episodes of the NPR show Whad'Ya Know over the last decade or two.

bluejimbop likes this.
  12. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Frank Farley of Johnny Kidd and The Pirates admired by many of the second generation beat groups (the post Cliff / Shads brigade) and cited specifically as a drumming influence by Mike Hugg of Manfred Mann who was a pretty talented guy himself. Not a great technical drummer but you couldn't go far wrong with Frank thumping the tubs. Sadly now retired due to ill-health.
    Replaced the almost irreplaceable Clem Cattini at the end of 1961 and stuck with the band till early 1966. A loyal crew member to Kidd.
    Here's the B-side of my least favourite Kidd single (Always and Ever) - Dr Feelgood as played by Kidd / Johnny Spence / Mick Green and Frank Farley. More from Frank next year when a spectacular set of archive Johnny Kidd and The Pirates recordings are due to be released. In the meantime....

imawalrus likes this.
  13. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

The great late Ed Cassidy of Spirit.
    Met him after a Spirit concert in 1993, such a nice down to earth person, and had just turned 70.

14. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

Bobby Caldwell.....Captain Beyond and many others.......Fantastic Talent. And great guy.

Joti Cover, MYQ1 and izgoblin like this.
    ash1 likes this.
  16. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

There was, whatsisname, you know, thingy, um, er, wait a minute, urm, no, it's gone...

izgoblin likes this.
  17. And I think the Heartbreakers album "L.A.M.F." was great. I know some have issues with the mix.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  18. PhilCo

PhilCo Forum Resident

Sorry, I was wrong, Jim McCarty was the guitarist from the Wheels, who ended up with Lou Reed, Johnny "Bee" Badanjek was the Wheels drummer I was thinking of, he continued with Mitch in the very underated "Detroit" group, which was one of the best concerts I ever saw. Detroit was second billing to Chuck Berry and Mitch Ryder started his set by saying "I have good news and bad news. I bad news is that Chuck Berry isn't going to be here tonight, the good news is that by the time we are finished, you won't care" And he was right--great show, great drumming.

sixelsix likes this.
  19. PhilCo

PhilCo Forum Resident

and again I am wrong, Steve Hunter was Detroit's guitarist, he went to Lou Reeds group...A mind is a terrible thing to have.
    Phil

Fullbug likes this.
  20. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

He's totally great. The bootleg 50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong's performance from the Agora shows him at his most powerful that I've heard.

Longers and Holy Diver like this.
  21. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Strong call. He would have been a good choice for the Who.

Longers and Holy Diver like this.
  22. Robin Bachman of BTO and Doug Clifford of CCR.

MYQ1 and 389 Tripower like this.
  23. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

Clifford Hoad of Kings Of The Sun (on their first three albums) was a really great, powerful drummer.

24. Cipresso

Cipresso Forum Resident

Roger Pope, drummer for the Elton John band 75-76 ( and 1st choice of Phil Collins for his replacement on Genesis drums, after his refusal he had to go Bruford, it says a lot doesn't it?)

Joti Cover and videoman like this.
  25. October Man

October Man Extraordinary tunes from the hard drive

You beat me to it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.