Why are the Early 60's so Disliked?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosskeenneat, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That was Wilson Pickett.

When Jerry Wexler and Jim Stewart (owner of Stax Records) had a falling out over Sam & Dave, Wexler decided to send all of his artists to Fame.

The first Atlantic side cut at Fame was "Land of 1000 Dances" by Wilson Pickett.

Sam & Dave continued to cut at Stax, however, even though they were always signed to Atlantic.

seed_drill likes this.
  2. Grant

Don't forget guys like Dan Penn!

The good thing is that the townspeople of Muscle Shoals left them all alone.

sixelsix and zphage like this.
  3. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Ben E. King said that James Brown's appeal was too black to be negatively effected by the changes in the pop marketplace caused by The Beatles and the British Invasion.

Grant likes this.
  4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

How did it get racial with her husband? Don't remember the story beyond what I posted.

Yeah Wexler had to get them up to NYC. Too good not to use them. :)

5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I tell you I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall when he walked into the studio and they both saw each other for the first time. Then...magic.

sixelsix and zphage like this.
  6. Grant

I can't post it here, but, i've read books, and other biographies about it being racial. Ted White and the horn player were the ones who were drinking, and the horn player progressively made lewd comments about Aretha as the session rolled on.

The had recorded "I Never Loved A Man The Way That I Loved You" first, and it was a success. Then, they tried to do "Do Right Woman, Do Right Man", and all they got there was the backing track. According to accounts, after the messy ordeal, and the attempt so smooth things over, Aretha and her husband disappeared for days, and couldn't be found to finish the song for a single release.

One interesting fact: Aretha Franklin is deathly scared of flying, so every time she travels, it's by car, train, or boat.

Jim Walker and eddiel like this.
  7. Grant

Except that Wilson Pickett was from Prattville, Alabama. He already knew what it was like.

Someone who worked with him once described Pickett as "one of them crazy Alabama boys". That's funny because Pickett also used to call himself crazy!

seed_drill and zphage like this.
  8. Needmore Wax

Needmore Wax Well-Known Member

:wiggle:ROCKABILLY! INSTRUMENTAL! YEAH!:wiggle:

Mylene likes this.
  9. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

There was some nutty stuff in the early 60s. This was one of the most insane. Check out those shrieks! These girls were seriously ON in 1963!

10. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Hahaha. I'm not going to disagree. I've heard him sing! (I'm a fan.)

11. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

The British Invasion changed everything. Paul Anna is fine. But here come The DC5

12. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Not disliked by me...

13. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Great idea for a thread. I will admit to giving this period short shrift myself for quite a long time. Not anymore. It was in black and white and how could it compete with The Yes Album? To use a baseball analogy this period could be compared to Spring Training. A mere warm-up act. Much of what happened in the mid '60s to the late '70s might look like a great World Series.

I even have a friend, a Beatle's freak to boot, that once told me With The Beatles is still a little too early for him. Not to knock him, but I was shocked to hear it.

For me it was exploring great jazz recordings and Frank Sinatra to understand that the early rock and roll might be worth a bit of exploration as well. Although I always liked Frank as my parents played a lot of his records. And let's not forget, the industry seemed to forget about them as well. Those decisions, not to repress or stock these titles had a tremendous impact. Of course they probably never imagined that stuff that came soon after that era would have such staying power. Part of the throwaway society thinking along with a kind of planned obsolescence.

14. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Including Bob Dylan?

15. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Paul Anka's run of hits ended long before 1964....

16. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

Forgot about him but no, I was referring to the likes of Bobby Curtola, Bobby Rydell, Bobby Darin to name a few.

17. Two Cents:
    "The Beatles" ["The British Invasion"] just dominated teen (old folk today) interest. By the time "Rock" started to dominate younger listeners of the day later in the decade, Early Sixties & Fifties music just seemed to "Poppy".
    Shame "Rockers" like Eddie Cochran & Link Wray weren't followed/remembered as well at the time or now for that matter!

"New & Improved"
    Whata U gonna do?!?!
    Forgetting/dismissing the past is a past time!

HumanMachinery likes this.
  18. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

"The Beatles ruined everything."

-- John Waters

Spazaru and Ted Dinard like this.
  19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

John Waters was obviously clueless.

20. 1940Zeffer

1940Zeffer Well-Known Member

I was born in '60-We lived with AM radio strong music influence, 2'45 pop / rock/roll tunes designed to play on a large hole 45 rpm disc and coin machine, then, along came FM and the "latest" hip music, not meant for that stackable RCA player, but album rock. I think the coolness of this era really contributed to the late 50's early 60's American Graffiti era becoming parents "oldies". Sinatra and Cole were squares and jazz was Herb Alpert.. I was a dedicated 45 buyer, and proud of it, Not gonna make me buy those extra songs no one knows", Yes I was wrong, but trained by the Big 8 CKLW..That early 60's era was "clean cut", and then came those unkempt mop tops..yeah yeah yeah, who were obviously influenced by all that preceded them..I love the early 60's, and the beatles, and the four freshmen, motown and sinatra and basie..Gosh, I just love music!!

21. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Early '60s greats: The Shadows, Ventures, Spotnicks, Champs, Johnny & The Hurricanes, Duane Eddy, Wailers, Frantics, Trashmen, Surfaris, Dick Dale, Dynamics... in other words GREAT INSTROS! What's not to like?

22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Indeed. Who is he anyway?

To Google I go...

23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

24. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Maybe a stupid question, but I'm still new around here. But has this forum ever done a year by year sixties poll? And then I'm not referring to people voting for songs from the top 25 of the Billboard chart from 1965 or something, but users submitting their own lists of favorite albums and songs.

25. HumanMachinery

HumanMachinery Forum Resident

I just realized that Jamaican ska starts coming out in the pre-British Invasion era. Not that many folks were listening to it in the U.S.A., but that would eventually prove a boon for rock n' roll.

beccabear67 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.