Why is U2 Vinyl always out of press?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wbhendrix, Dec 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't understand how a band this big has so many albums out of print. Is it too much to ask them to make a vinyl box set or at least individually release How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb and so many other albums on new 180 gram vinyl?

2. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I'm wondering why they can't get the new album released that was supposedly nearly finished 2 years ago.

But yeah, it's bizarre how especially their albums from the past 2 decades remain OOP.

dee likes this.
  3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

For a band so obsessed with pursuing young listeners, vinyl reissues would get more mileage than that silly Apple stunt.

I know for a fact that a band members contacted at least one hardcore fan to make a serious money offer(a certain pressing that's never been on ebay) to acquire one of the vinyl albums missing from their collection.

The legit vinyl for the Zooropa=SOI albums are big upgrades over the digital versions and the prices keep going up. Even the 80's stuff it's going up in price, with some regional variation.

They own the rights and masters. They can reissue it whenever they want.

Shiver likes this.
  4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

This has surprised me as well. But I was kind of turned off by the whole $120+ Achtung Baby vinyl package that I sort of stopped thinking about U2 vinyl. I'd love to get Pop and Atomic Bomb, but I'm not losing sleep over it (anymore). (I do own Zooropa and it's a quite lovely thing to have)

Paully likes this.
  5. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Totally agree with the OP. U2 vinyl reissues of Zooropa etc would actually be welcome and would surely sit nicely alongside next year's new album (March 2017 release ?). I got a 91 Achtung Baby as a present last Xmas which I know wasn't cheap. Can't U2 take a lesson out of fellow Irishman Van Morrison's book and put out hard to get and popular classics again, tastefully done ?

Nick Brook likes this.
  6. davers

davers Forum Resident

Which vinyl album is missing from a U2 member's collection...can you elaborate?

7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

One of the LP albums from a particular non-english speaking country has better audio quality for whatever quirky reason. Offer was over $1,000 and was declined.

Their catalog has some mastering variations between countries I'm still trying to track down affordably. Best info I'm willing to share.

ODShowtime and davers like this.
  8. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I bought the European pressing of All That You Can’t Leave Behind shortly after it was released, and late 2000/early 2001 was maybe the absolute nadir of vinyl as a minor afterthought for most huge music acts. *Very* few of those around. Same deal with Springsteen’s The Rising in 2002, the vinyl LP is scarce as hen’s teeth.

Seems like U2 is so tied up in knots (even more than usual) these days about who/what/when/why they are, and where their confident flow has gone, that they’re just too neurotic to focus on doing a first-class job of keeping their catalog in tip-top shape, on vinyl and hi-res, in a manner worthy of their stature.

azjvm05 likes this.
  9. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Well, looking at it from the artist's point of view, why worry? "It's all in the past. I made it up. I played it. It was recorded. It was released. I got my money. I still have money. I moved on. "
    :shh:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Mathew, PDK, ARK and 1 other person like this.
  10. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Who needs a repress? Just buy a new iPhone.

11. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

ah, c'mon.

mikedifr0923 and Vinyl Addict like this.
  12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I would say the nadir for vinyl was earlier than 2000/2001. Vinyl had already started a comeback at that point, IMO

I don't have the U2 LP you mention, but I do have The Rising. Bought it when it came out. I wasn't aware it was so hard to find.

ElevatorSkyMovie likes this.
  13. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I agree that the vinyl comeback was starting to roll on the indie/subgenre/reissue side, but that’s why I singled out the way that huge musical acts weren’t yet on board. There is an incredibly small number of vinyl LPs in the world for the two albums I mentioned, and still no repressings. Same deal for several extremely important Dylan albums from around the turn of the century; I believe that “Love and Theft” is extremely rare, for example

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I don't know, my memory is that virtually no big acts were putting out vinyl a few years prior to 2000/2001. I'm certain I've got other pressings from that time period, but there is almost nothing from big acts from the late 90's.

misteranderson and Shak Cohen like this.
  15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well... being in Germany we never had a real shortage of vinyl editions - somehow a lot of stuff was released during the 90''s - but I would think the nadir was 1993/4. Of course there are "rare" (aka "expensive") editions from 2000 onwards as well but I'd say the lowest ebb was early to mid 90's.

Aftermath, nlgbbbblth and Shak Cohen like this.
  16. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

Though of course "Love and Theft" and "Time Out of Mind" have both had reissues recently.

17. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I heard a rumour that Pop, All That You Can’t Leave Behind, Wide Awake in America and the first Best of will be released on Vinyl in April 2018. I hope that's a start after seeing a few more vinyl reissues but U2.

18. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Great news I have all their albums on vinyl, but would love new copies

19. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

This would be much welcomed, I have all the studio albums, but my copy of Pop is a bit rough, and would be very happy to get the Best Of's 1980-1990 and 1990-2000 at affordable prices.

Ken.e. likes this.
  20. Ken.e.

I believe it's only going to be the Best of 1980-1990 on vinyl on this release.

21. Ken.e.

I have one of the four but will likely only buy Pop and All That You Can’t Leave Behind. I would have everything from the Best of on separate releases. the second Best of would be more interesting as there are a few more tracks that are not album tracks. I hope the rumour is true.

22. Mark Mc Guinness

Mark Mc Guinness Forum Resident

Love to have Pop and Zooropa on vinyl, have a decent copy of ATYCLB already but good to see it's getting a repress for those that don't.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  23. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I still have an sealed No Line On The Horizon LP.

I should buy their new one while its cheap.

24. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

Ok, let's count the albums that U2 should reissue on vinyl:

- Achtung Baby
    - Zooropa
    - Original Soundtracks #1 (although it's from Passengers, it's still U2)
    - Pop
    - The Best Of 1980-1990
    - All That You Can't Leave Behind
    - The Best Of 1990-2000
    - ̶ h̶̶o̶̶w̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶o̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶m̶̶a̶̶n̶̶t̶̶l̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶t̶̶o̶̶m̶̶i̶̶c̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶o̶̶m̶̶b̶̶ ̶(was re-released on vinyl in 2017!)
    - No Line On The Horizon

Maybe a live album would fit in there as well.

via_atx, Ken.e. and jimhb like this.
  25. Ken.e.

I think if we get a live album it will be a deluxe edition. The "All That You Can't Leave Behind" tour was great, I would be happy to see a live album from that tour.

JannL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.