Eurythmics on CD and remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Just a small aside regarding the digipacks. The EU copies have (imho) a much nicer finish. Smooth matte, while the US ones are glossy and have too much additional branding and FBI Warnings (re copying etc) on them.

2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Yes I have the EU box set and they are very nice LOOKING digipaks.

3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

You sure about this? Those Eurythmics discs were among the very first compact discs available so I vividly remember the reviews they got in my dad's audiophile magazines. According to these vintage publications "Sweet Dreams" and especially "Touch" sounded "better" than the vinyl versions and were warmly recommended.

Not sure about "Be Yourself" but with "Revenge" the consensus was it would be equal to the vinyl. And since it had no bonus tracks but was trice the price the reviewer recommended getting it on vinyl.

I take it the man had high end gear so maybe that explains it. I bought all three recently and was surprised how much I liked them. Even though I got rid of 90% of my CDs around 1999/ 2000. But there are some vintage discs from the 80's that are really nice to have. And dirt cheap.

Bizarre that Eurythmics aren't more celebrated, "Touch" is definitely ahead of its time, it sounds a lot like Moloko or Roisin Murphy. "Be Yourself" is also terrific but with "Revenge" the band lost something. Me too. Interest :wiggle::wiggle:

But, but, but: I need to revisit "Savage". Which was pretty unloved back then: "Modern Talking goes punk" as one German review put it:shh:

Dennis Metz and sunspot42 like this.
  4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Savage is a great record.

The Aussies loved Revenge for whatever reason - it was huge down under. I thought "Missionary Man" was fantastic, but preferred some of the album cuts ("I Remember You", "A Little Of You" - which really should have been a single) to the other singles, at least at the time. "Thorn In My Side" and "When Tomorrow Comes" have grown on me since - they're a bit too conventional for my tastes, but as pop songs go they're pretty damn solid.

I had the albums and they sounded good but not great. Sweet Dreams had a demo tape vibe to it - very stripped back production, but the clarity helped make it sound a lot more expensive than it was. I've always thought it was especially well-EQ'd for the era. The first side of Touch sounds noticeably better than the more muffled, fuzzy B-side, something reviewers noted at the time even on CD. Don't exactly know what that's all about - different studios? A different deck? Anyhow, the CD replicates it perfectly, for better or worse.

Be Yourself Tonight has much more of a conventional '80s rock/soul/pop sound. Here maybe the CD sounds a little less crisp than the LP, but my guess is that's due to all of the high harmonics on the LP, since the EQ was much hotter than on its predecessors. That would tend to make the LP sound much brighter than the CD.

PH416156, Jarleboy and Neonbeam like this.
  5. mikaal

So..since I've just weighed into a cd sale of an original Virgin "1984",
    and own the only remaster I think has been done of it, the Disky label 2001, can anyone offer a comparison of these two?
    I've always liked the sound of the Disky release but its over 30 years since I've heard an original "1984" cd and can't remember if it was good or bad thin or muffled or whatever.

6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Sounded a lot like the vinyl to me. It's pretty thin - '80s sonics - but not offensively harsh to my ears. Also not as unpleasantly fuzzy as some Fairlight-driven records (like Hounds of Love). It does have a nice air of space.

7. mikaal

Have you heard the Disky cd?

8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

No. I had the original US vinyl back in the '80s (stolen), replaced with the original US CD. (Or I'm assuming US, since I bought it here - for all I know, they were all manufactured in West Germany...)

9. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Japan for US also-
    [​IMG]

tmtomh, ricks and sunspot42 like this.
  10. mikaal

If my memory isn't playing tricks I am sure that Australia had an RCA cd release. Anybody??

11. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Exactly the three I got, US editions, blue ring for SD and Touch, black ring for BYT.
    I have the remaster of SD to compare and that one is extremely shrill and trebly.
    The original sounds very pure in comparison. I'm also very positive about the other two. Would I Lie To You comes leaping out at you.

12. red corner

red corner Forum Resident

I don't know in other countries, but in Italy we haven't seen these remasters in the shelves for years. I honestly don't know if they are still in print.
    I have never felt satisfied by Greatest Hits and Ultimate Collection, both are lacking songs, and I thought they could be the perfect band for a Sony Essential double-CD set.
    Yet it has never happened. Do Eurythmics control their catalogue? I compiled this set by myself and created the artwork: The Essential Eurythmics, a playlist by Alessandro Liccardo on Spotify »

13. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Those of us who are not on Spotify cannot see your playlist.

14. red corner

red corner Forum Resident

[​IMG]

CD1
    Never Gonna Cry Again
    Belinda
    This Is The House
    The Walk
    Love is a Stranger
    Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)
    Who's That Girl
    Right By Your Side
    Here Comes the Rain Again
    Sexcrime (1984)
    Julia
    Would I Lie to You?
    There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart)
    Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves
    It's Alright (Baby's Coming Back)
    When Tomorrow Comes

CD2
    Thorn in My Side
    Miracle of Love
    Missionary Man
    Beethoven (I Love to Listen to)
    Shame
    I Need a Man
    You Have Placed a Chill in My Heart
    Revival
    Don't Ask Me Why
    The King and Queen of America
    Angel
    My My (Baby's Gonna Cry)
    I Saved the World Today
    17 Again
    I've Got a Life
    Was It Just Another Love Affair? (extra track, not released as a single)

D-rock, c-eling and Richie Lev like this.
  15. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

A very good start. Some deeper cuts and alternate versions would make a great 3rd disc.

16. Richie Lev

Richie Lev Billboard Pop Archivist

That cover art is great. Wish I could make one for every artist that needs an essential. Good job.

17. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Dave Stewart:
    Superdeluxeedition

tmtomh, D-rock, scobb and 2 others like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

19. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

:yikes:

tmtomh and D-rock like this.
  20. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I'd given up all hope of ever hearing this. Disc ordered!

D-rock likes this.
  21. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Well, you could always exploit the "analog hole"...

23. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I don't follow ...

24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Recording it from your analog out (if you have a capable player)
    DVDA extractor I believe works with Blu

sunspot42 likes this.
  25. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Dave has been posting old pics and making references to the 1984 Soundtrack .. perhaps a remaster including the original score is finally on the horizon

sunspot42 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.