The Savory Collection - Jazz Trove To Be Released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlykos, Sep 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doug pomeroy

doug pomeroy Forum Resident

It is only today that I became aware of these comments about the Savory Collection. I am the engineer who, working for the National Jazz Museum in Harlem, transferred the original discs, starting in 2010, and am responsible for all the audio restorations of them, in collaboration with Senior Founder of the Museum, Loren Schoenberg, a jazz saxophonist and former big band leader. First, it is true that due to last minute changes, some of the Fats Waller tracks on Album #1 got scrambled. This is extremely unfortunate and embarrassing to us. But it happened and, as has been noted, a free correction is available. Second, being a collector, I understand the desire for lossless files (all my work is done a 24/96), but when I was asked about the quality of AAC (iTunes) files, I said I didn't believe anyone with excellent hearing will be able to hear any difference between the AAC files and the 24/96 sources which I sent to iTunes for conversion due to the quality of the original disc recordings. I imagine there will be those who say I'm wrong, but I say what I believe is true, and nobody has ever told me to say anything else. (Yes, my hearing isn't want it was 30 years ago, but I'm knowledgeable about the disc cutting equipment used, even in professional studios such as the one in which Savory made his copies in the 1930's and early 1940's, and those cutters could reach 8 kHz, at best, in those years, so my ears are up to the task (the loss-of-sensitivity issue means I have to listen loud, but that's no problem in my studio.) If you think the Hawkins and Hampton tracks on Album #1 are of poor quality, all I can say is you are hearing the quality of the original broadcast feed (direct wire from the radio broadcast studio to Audio Scriptions where Savory worked), and not some degradation due to AAC. Third, yes, there has been talk about a possible release of the music on CDs, but it would be irresponsible of me to say any more because it is not any of my business. I do know that Mosaic was contacted several years ago and, at that time, for reasons unknown to me, declined.

2. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Thanks for taking the time to reply. They really do sound great given their provenance. Thanks for helping make them available!

DanG likes this.
  3. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thanks for your comments. Pity Mosaic declined, especially for people like me who don't do downloads.

6. doug pomeroy

I have heard that Mosaic may still be a possibility, but don't quote me.

Turmatic likes this.
  7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That'd be great. Don't worry, I won't quote you :)

8. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

Thanks, Doug, for all of your exhaustive work on this collection and the great sound quality, in spite of the source material, that you have achieved.

9. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply in this thread, especially given the reality that it is a thread where people are expressing their disappointment in some of the decisions that have been made about reissuing this material. I know I'm not alone here when I say that we appreciate the work that you have done on this, and for going the extra mile to provide us with additional perspective and background about what is here. Sincerely, thank you.

Archtop likes this.
  10. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Thanks for the information and thanks a lot for the work in restoring these sessions. One reason I prefer lossless is it's an archival format.

If this was something like a Mosaic Select I'd put my preorder in.

11. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Thank you for your excellent work in saving this collection. Although I normally prefer the physical product, I will buy and enjoy every digital volume that is released. And if it comes out on disc in some fancy Mosaic box, then I'll buy it again.

12. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

13. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

I was able to buy it. What message are you getting?

14. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Thank you for this information. And I also just wanted to say THANK YOU so much for all of the tremendous work you have done with jazz reissues over the years. :thumbsup:

J.A.W. likes this.
  15. marmil

No message. It asks if I want to launch an app, I do, click buy and nothing happens.

16. marmil

Actually, it wasn't an app. It was just my pwd. Just tried again. Nothing.

17. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

I don't know. Do you have the iTunes ap on your computer?

18. marmil

Yup. And I use it often but I've never had this kind of problem before. I d/l from HDTracks fairly often, a few friends send me stuff regularly. I'm totally baffled.

19. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Yeah I'm baffled too. Maybe iTunes is overloaded with all the people using their gift cards from the holidays. That's all I can think of.

20. marmil

I wouldn't be surprised. Tomorrow I'll find that I bought it 11 times!

21. doug pomeroy

Never in my life had I purchased anything from iTunes, and I found the procedure a bit puzzling. One can apparently order the same iTunes files from both iTunes and from the Apple store, and maybe "problems" with one may not be the same with the other? I'm still learning. But also still kicking and screaming.

22. Ghost Of Miles

Ghost Of Miles Forum Resident

23. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

24. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I guess wishes really can come true. Wow.

Turmatic likes this.
  25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I'll start a new thread for the Mosaic release later (plus it has two additional discs of Basie/Prez!!), I feel like this should get more traction since it's by Mosaic and a physical disc release.

Turmatic, Archtop and signothetimes53 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.