Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality (and general discussion): Singles, Soundtracks, Etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 10, 2013.

1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

All I want is for them to do to Swingin' Affair! what they did to Songs for Swingin' Lovers on LP and SACD using the original tapes. Then I can die happy.

DLant likes this.
  2. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

That would be absolutely wonderful.

paulmock likes this.
  3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

(Old-timers here may recall that the 2010 Jolly Christmas and the recent The Christmas Song Nat "King" Cole LPs were sourced from Norberg versions.)

THIS old-timer remembers that you got me a copy of that LP on RSD the year it was released.

MLutthans and DLant like this.
  4. DLant

There's one on it's way to my door. I will be sure to use the mono button for playing it.

Thank you for the heads-up. :agree:

MLutthans likes this.
  5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

According to Nancy Sinatra today, it will be phased out soon: Sinatra 100 Campaign - Page 17 »

jtaylor likes this.
  7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I hope that doesn't mean stopping the LP reissues.

DLant likes this.
  8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I should have re-worded that comment. Knowing full-well that OTL was coming. I meant to look past that release and wonder about future Reprise and Capitol LP reissues from UMe which have been stalled as you have noted in earlier posts.

Bob F likes this.
  10. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Rumor has it Universal is not pleased with sales whether on LP or CD. Look what happened with Crosby. They have shut him down completely.

paulmock likes this.
  11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

The worst thing the Crosby estate did was sign on with a huge company thinking it would be the best way to get the products produced, marketed and distributed. Turns out all the big boys are looking at is $$$$$. Sadly, I feel the same way with what is occurring with UMe and it's Sinatra product. $$$$ uber alles. They may push out a few more LP's and CD's just because the Sinatra name is relatively still recognized and there is still some "bite" for new product/reissues. But as time progresses the faucet will be completely turned off until there is a new generation of fans and a rebirth of new interest.

The fact that "Sinatra 100" was such a fizzle shows the true lack of major interest between UMe and the Sinatra catalogue.

DLant likes this.
  12. Jskoda

Jskoda Forum Resident

I also have an N4 and the kids are on the left.

Also on this copy, the LP cover pictures on the back are in color.

MLutthans likes this.
  13. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Any idea what sort of figures, at minimum, they were hoping for?

14. Ronald Sarbo

No idea....we may be just nearing the end of physical product in general.

15. DLant

16. Ronald Sarbo

In the UK yes but not in the US.

17. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Re: Stereo All the Way LPs:
    So, we've found an instance -- the N4 pressing -- of the side one tracks being "correctively reversed," with strings on the left. (It appears that the vast, vast majority of early stereo All the Way LPs have strings on the right.)

How about side two? Does anybody have a stereo All the Way LP that has, for instance, strings on the left during "All My Tomorrows?" *MOST* copies of that song have bass on left, strings on right, but that's backwards. Are there any cuts with strings on the left and bass on the right, aside from the 1984 "Dell" stereo reissue?

-------------------------------------------------------

Re: The Christmas Waltz and White Christmas

Going waaaaaaaay back to singles session #9, August 23, 1954:
    I've finally managed to update the webpage for that session. Thanks to @bferr1 for providing some super-clean audio clips from the RSD 45. Clips posted here: Non-Album Tracks, 1954 »

I still wish they had not sourced this from a Norberg mastering, but when summed to mono, it's okay, so I can't really jump on any hate bandwagon. It is what it is, but the record looks cool, the tone is okay. Could be worse. (Back in the 1960s, the UK reissue used "wet tapes." That's worse!) The processing bugs me, but there are problems with other releases of these songs, too, so just enjoy the dang music, eh? It's a Christmas 45!

bozburn likes this.
  18. MLutthans

Moving on to THIS WAS MY LOVE, May 25, 1959:

Lots of "pretty good" choices on this one, so it's hard for me to pick an absolute favorite.

I think my N1 45 sounds surprisingly warm and pleasant. It's also less compressed than the D1 45. (We've seen this before.)

I like Larry Walsh's 1991 stereo remix from the No Once Cares CD. It's dry and nicely balanced -- and it corrects the backwards mix that's on most of the LPs.

For the original stereo mix, I think the best of the bunch is the 1983 MFSL LP, and the worst is the 1998 UK boxed set CD, which is dead as a doornail.

The 1984 DMM and 2016 All the Way mono LPs are pretty good, I think.

Anyway, have a listen, and please share your thoughts: Non-Album Tracks, 1959 »

Thanks to @bferr1 , @stevelucille , and @rangerjohn for sharing clips on this title!

By the way, this now brings us up to NO ONE CARES.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  19. Jskoda

Jskoda Forum Resident

My same copy of All the Way mentioned above also has the strings on the left in "All My Tomorrows." Side Two says N3.

20. MLutthans

Interesting. Seems to me that there's a chance that somebody who was doing disk cutting in NYC realized that the stereo LP master had the channels reversed, and they "correctively re-reversed" things.

Or it was just a fortunate accident!

The world may never know....
    TootsiePoplicking machine.png

rangerjohn likes this.
  21. MLutthans

s-l1600-13.jpg
    Interesting find on Ebay. This would be the first 33-1/3 RPM "release" of these four songs, I think. I'm curious, but not fifty bucks worth of curious! (The other side has songs by Georgia Gibbs.)

Two more, from another AFRTS pressing:
    s-l1600-14.jpg
    Three more:
    s-l1600-18.jpg
    (B-side is non-Sinatra.)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    kevinsinnott likes this.
  22. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

What if the first disc contains the "lost verse" of "Don't Worry 'Bout Me"?!?!?!

Just kidding. I'm sure you can tell by the time.

MLutthans and paulmock like this.
  23. MLutthans

Here's an odd little piece of 1950s trinketry:
    s-l1600-37.jpg
    That's a necklace comprised of five little mini 78 records, including two by Sinatra: Rain, and I Could Have Told You. (Ebay)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    DmitriKaramazov, MMM and kevinsinnott like this.
  24. MLutthans

I've been handling Capitol 78s since I was out of the crib, and I never knew that they were etching the logo into the playing area (assuming that's what's going on here):
    SinatraLeanBaby78.jpg
    s-l1600-43.jpg
    Anybody know that story here?

paulmock likes this.
  25. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

maybe just promos?

MMM likes this.