Black Sabbath Deluxe Editions January 22, 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Who mastered the 2016's CD remaster of Never Say Die and Technical Ecstasy? I was under the impression that those two albums sounded bad with the remaster series.

2. Andy Pierce in 2012. They sound fine on the 2016 releases.

3. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident

I concur... the 2016s sound great. The issue with Technical Ecstasy and NSD was found on the 2009 remasters. Andy Pierce was purported to have remastered them, but apparently someone else's work mistakenly ended up on the actual releases. That's why they sound so bad

4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I've the 2016 deluxe editions of the debut, Paranoid and Master Of Reality. They all sound very good and I'm pleased with them.

Now, can anyone provide links @ amazon for the 2016 discs of Vol. 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Sabotage, Technical Ecstasy, and Never Say Die...please. I have a Christmas gift card to use, and would like to round things out for the Ozzy era.

Finally, the 1996 Castle discs can go bye bye.

5. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Not sure why you can't find them, but the 2016 releases of Vol 4, SabbathBloody Sabbath and Sabotage are on the first page.

Amazon.com: black sabbath: CDs & Vinyl »

And on the second page, the 2016 releases of Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die.

Amazon.com: black sabbath: CDs & Vinyl »

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    pool_of_tears likes this.
  6. pool_of_tears

7. pool_of_tears

I feel confident, that I should no longer have to seek out any other discs for Ozzy era Sabbath. Before I pull the trigger, has anyone grabbed these remasters from 2016 for Vol 4 - Never Say Die? Is there a decent consensus...without me wading through X number of pages...?

Now, I need to investigate better sources than 1996 Castle discs for:

Heaven and Hell
    Mob Rules
    Live Evil
    Born Again

Time to use the search function

8. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild Thread Starter

I think you will be more than happy with the 2016 CDs of the Ozzy albums, and the Deluxe Editions of the Dio albums and Born Again.

9. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

IMO - the big winners (as compared to previous versions I've heard) of the 2016s are TE and NSD.

I have the first round of Pearce remasters (2009) of H&H/Mob Rules/Born Again - and like them all - H&H is my favorite SQ-wise with Mob Rules not too far behind. The Pearce Born Again is the best I've heard it which is not saying much since it's a pretty terrible sounding album in any version I've heard.

10. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

To me, the 2010 deluxe of H&H is the clear winner and I've compared numerous pressings including the 1st&2nd Japanese and SACD. I've found everything else too bright. I also really like the deluxe Mob Rules, but many prefer the original WB. It's also great, but I slightly prefer the deluxe. I don't own the other 2 albums.

dkmonroe likes this.
  11. pool_of_tears

I foolishly got rid of the old US Warner disc of Mob Rules in 1998...bought the 1996 Castle disc...hey, I thought "remaster" meant better. Boy, was I dumb.

Should probably get the deluxes of H&H and Mob Rules, apparently. Live Evil and Born Again will come last...Live Evil isn't really a deluxe, as there's nothing extra on it...and Born Again can only se saved so much, as it's just a crappy mix. Now that is one album which would benefit from a proper remix.

rnranimal likes this.
  12. The Hud

The deluxe Live Evil has all of the between song banter, something the 96 Castle is missing since it is only on one disc. Not sure if that is worth the money to you, but I thought I would point it out.

13. Sergius Wegmuller

Sergius Wegmuller Forum Resident

Is the 2016 Technical Ecstasy cd a significant improvement over the original Warner Bros (2969-2)?
    The Warner sounds reasonable to me, if a little on the weak side; certainly preferable to the 96/04 issues.

14. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I'm curious about this also.

Frankly, I have gone back to listening to TE on vinyl because no CD has ever gotten the job done. The Warner CD was the "least bad" but the album on vinyl sounds far better than that to me.

I like Pearce's work, generally. Sounds like maybe he had a chance to get this right since, despite the credit, what came out in 2009 apparently wasn't his work.

15. pool_of_tears

I appreciate the confirmation on that, as I had the old US fatboy disc...again, got rid of it in 1998 for the 1996 castle cd's...ugh :(

16. I didn't care for the original muddy sounding WB discs and shed them as soon as the first set of remasters were released in 1996. Those were not perfect either and of course many had issue with the 2009 releases too. It's my opinion the 2012 remastered/2016 releases are infinitely better that those, period.

17. moops

moops Senior Member

Apologies if this has been covered .....
    The 2016 Sabbath Bloody Sabbath isn't the 2009, so therefore doesn't have have the channels reversed ?

18. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The 2016 TE is a minor improvement over the old WB. But for only $7.99 the new packaging alone is worth it.

19. I disagree. Its a huge improvement over the original WB discs. A profound difference. Any one else agree with me?

sandimascharvel and noname74 like this.
  20. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Yes.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  21. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I don't know that I'd describe the old Warner version of TE as "muddy." I find it a bit on the bright side and not as powerful as the vinyl copies I've heard. For me, I'm wondering if the 2016 is less bright. If so, I might check it out!

22. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

Those are my cd's in my collection. I just need the deluxe edition of seventh star and I'm done with my sabbath.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    The Hud likes this.
  23. moops

moops Senior Member

See post #903 you clown ......

tkl7 likes this.
  24. The Hud

You will be happy with the Seventh Star deluxe edition. Very cool set!

25. The Hud

I agree as well. You can't go wrong with any of the 2016 discs. Cheap, sound great, and awesome packaging.

moops, yesstiles and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.