The Doors' Robby Krieger Talks 50th Anniversary Plans, Re-Releases & Newly Unearthed Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Sep 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

The doors sans Jim did the background music for this Ford Training film. You'll hear them throughout the film. At the end, the band is credited it it sounds eerily similar to "I Looked At You." Imagine if the masters were found.

Fullbug likes this.
  2. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Or shaped like a beer bottle... :D

Hamhead and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  3. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

What if they had included London Fog and full Matrix-shows (from the original master-tapes with the best possible quality) to the anniversary edition of the debut?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    asdf35 and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

They would already have my money.

5. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

Clearly, The Doors need to let go those who responsible for such pointless, cash-in releases. It would be just about time for them to change the channel.

6. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

If the masters were found, there would be a Ford Training film boxset, retailing at $75, containing fake memorabilia, the music on CD and vinyl and a pretend crumpled shopping list.

7. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

$75,000, and all in cased in an actual Ford.

8. Dummy

Dummy Active Member

All my breath goes to NO. Not because it's their last show together, but because there is most of certain, a decent audio of palace in the canyon. Assuming no whisky is in somebody's hands, historically speaking, I don't think there's much more than what we've have so far...

9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Jampol should re watch the video so he knows how to deal with all the unhappy Doors customers.

10. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Ha. To take Peter Abram's point of view, the Velvets did something very much like the Doors did with the Matrix Tapes. They released the degraded versions (from acetate) on 1969 Live and then bought the masters from Abram years later. Interesting that Abram didn't choose to sue anyone. Maybe he didn't have the money, or he was just patient. Contractually, he had no rights to release the tapes as the bands were under contract (Doors to Elektra, Velvets to MGM). However, the bands didn't have the rights to the tapes without paying for them. It's as if they went into a studio, layed down tracks and didn't pay for the tapes, but sneaked them out and released them. Been done thousands of times.

Famously Lou got Sterling to sign away his rights to the release of 1969 Live. I wonder what exactly happened with the release of the masters on the S/T deluxe, and then the box set. It could be that they sold more than they expected, and Universal okayed the release of the full live box afterwards. Either way, the Velvets have obviously given us a far better curated set of vault releases than the Doors, though the Doors have released more stuff.

But you know all this...

11. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Jampol-speak:

2008: "Restored and carefully mastered from first generation tapes acquired by Elektra Records and The Doors 40 years ago, these historic shows never sounded better."

2017: "The Matrix recordings heard on this deluxe edition were sourced from the recently discovered, original tapes, previously thought to be lost. The Matrix recordings originally released in 2008 were from a third-generation source, so the sound quality of the versions debuting here is second to none."

12. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

The more I see the new text, the more annoyed I become. If the sound quality is so good, why only release a handful of tracks from it?

Well, I know why, but it's so dishonest and leaves such a bad taste. It's a shame the group is associated with JAM. I believe that the association has seriously harmed the reputation of the band.

rnranimal likes this.
  13. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

Walking in Jampol's shoes, I'd be ashamed upon reading all these recollections of my incompetence.

Fullbug and rnranimal like this.
  14. Aki_Tana

Aki_Tana New Member

Hi.
    I'm Japanese Doors & Solo Collector.
    I'm Beginner of This website. I'm Sorry
    I am in contact with The Doors Official Archivist for the official release of Red Shift (Robby lost heritage).
    my FB Page
    Robby Krieger RED SHIFT
    It may possibly be officially released in commemoration of the 50th anniversary
    (Google Automatic translation)

Cherrycherry likes this.
  15. Aki_Tana

Aki_Tana New Member

WPCR-17724/6
    Japan Only 3CD [SHM-CD] Edition.

16. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

Just saw this on Facebook:

Announcing the Robby Krieger Archives!! Click the below link for details.
    The Robby Krieger Archives | Robby Krieger of The Doors

Announcing the Robby Krieger Archives
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE. DOORS GUITARIST ROBBY KRIEGER OPENS UP HIS PERSONAL ARCHIVES.

July, 2017: Robby Krieger, legendary guitarist of The Doors, who penned Doors hits such as “Light My Fire”, “Love Me Two Times” and “Love Her Madly”, is opening up his personal archives and will be releasing digital downloads of rare material from his solo career to his fans, some which hasn’t seen the light of day for over 50 years. The material will span his “pre-Doors” days through current projects.

The first item he will be releasing is an unreleased outtake from the band he and John Densmore put together following The Doors, “The Butts Band”. The Butts Band put out two albums, the self-titled “Butts Band” (1974) and “Hear and Now.” (1975). This rare track, called “Black Cloud”, was originally intended for the second album, but was not included and has been in Robby’s archives ever since. Now, for the first time in over forty years, fans can finally hear this gem. “Black Cloud” will be released worldwide in mid-July.

Stay tuned for more releases as Robby sorts through his archives.

For more information visit www.RobbyKrieger.com.

17. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Does he have Doors era demos with him singing?

18. Horse Majeure

Horse Majeure Forum Resident

Great song.Ray singing.****ing legend.

rockclassics likes this.
  19. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I have always loved this song. Woulda been nice to hear Jim sing it.

20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i am thinking anything doors related is not being released through this series

21. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

Maybe the best and my favorite post-Jim Doors' song. I was listening to Blind Faith's "Do What You Like" recently and it reminded me of "Ships w/ Sails". After Jim passed and Ray, Robby, and John decided to continue as a trio (with additional musicians in concert), they never settled on a musical direction. Listening to the jazz-rock, improvisational "Ship w/ Sails" makes me wish they would've gone more in that direction.

22. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I like how Robbie can put out downloads of unreleased material. Hopefully Jeff is paying attention.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

robby doesn't need 3 other parties to sign off on it though. robby and jjohn were probably the only 2 people who had to agree to release this. they are friends and they are both alive still.

24. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

I would like to find a real recording of Red Shift.
    Robbie Krieger and former members of Zappa's band ?
    YEah!

25. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

great news, hope to see somw Psychedelic Rangers material

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.