Is 'Let it Be' DVD finally coming?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DeYoung, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I mean the big anniversary is still two years away, so... :p

andrewskyDE likes this.
  2. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

...anything!
    Makes the releases of the Anthology series (all formats) seem civilised compared to the hoopla : the actual product ratio that we're doled out lately.

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

A big fat glossy black box set with copyright extension audio volumes by the boatload, film footage galore, a book that covers it all in dialog, pictures and commentary.

Or let Yellow Dog and Vigitone's previous working parts to get a fresh new release instead.

If I was Apple I'd want to cut out the bootleggers for good this time.

Six Bachelors and andrewskyDE like this.
  4. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Don't count on it if the recent "That's why God invented bootleggers" quote attributed to Jeff Jones is true.

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

That's why God invented Public Domain I guess!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Six Bachelors likes this.
  6. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Has anyone noticed the new footage of the rooftop "I've Got a Feeling" that's playing during the credits of "Eight Days a Week"?
    I just about jumped out of my seat when I saw footage of Harrison playing that middle guitar break.
    (Just to review, in the movie, we're looking at street footage at this point of the song).

The new footage is compelling, not to mention they are clearly enjoying themselves. I wish Apple would stop taunting us.

Regarding the blue vs. grey sky, it is obvious that the middle still has a very un-natural bluish hue to the entire picture (notice the planking of the floor and the glass green house), not just the sky.
    Terrible transfer. Not sure why this was deemed as being acceptable.

[​IMG]
    here rather gray.

[​IMG]
    here we have a tiny spot of blue, just a see-through, but not entirely blue cloudless sky.
    [​IMG]
    [/QUOTE]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    musicfan37 likes this.
  7. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

This has nothing to do with Sony or Jeff Jones....if it were up to them "Let It Be" would have been out years ago. One (or more) of the Beatles family doesn't want it out....most likely Yoko.

8. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Not so sure it's Yoko, Paul's the one on film getting into a fight with George.

Derek

9. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I suspect the "fight" is not the issue. It is more likely that John looks pretty darn strung out at various times and that offends certain sensibilities.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  10. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

You know that this wasn't the cause of George walking out though, yeah?

MoonPool and seacliffe301 like this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Anything can be fixed, given enough time and money. What I always look for in video mastering is to make the sky consistent, and sometimes the problem is that it's not consistent in real life. I would bet the film has aged and the dye layers are beginning to evaporate, which is pretty typical for any 45 year old film.

12. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I'm sure I said this already somewhere in these 38 pages, but ...

John and Yoko's objection to the finished cut of "Let It Be" was their perception of Paul's dominance of the film. He is simply on camera more than John, and he has many more songs prominently featured. John and Yoko felt that the other Beatles appear to be Paul's "sidemen". Since the film hasn't changed any in the last 46 years, I'm guessing that Yoko's opinion (and her theoretical representation of John's stance) has not changed either. Kind of tough to do much about that run of "Two of Us"/"Let It Be'/"The Long and Winding Road"/"Get Back", though.

13. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Which seems to be a fair representation of how the sessions went...so any re-editing to show otherwise wouldn't be fair either.

14. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Then why is this scene in Anthology?

15. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

I don't recall any mention of that specific incident as being the cause of George walking out. Others here more knowledgeable of specific dates have shown when George walked and why, although all this happened in a matter of weeks when it came to the Get Back/Let it Be sessions.

16. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

This.

It's amazing how often this debate gets dragged out, when it is so obvious that Yoko doesn't want a strung-out, not-funny, not-cute, not-entertaining John at center stage, along with his pushy and unwelcome girlfriend following him around like a lost puppy.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  17. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Because it is a convenient little sound bite about everything that was bad about the Get Back/Let It Be month, while conveniently ignoring the real problem of that month---that John was strung out, unproductive, had little quality new material, and was letting his girlfriend do the communicating for him, while either ignoring or actively disparaging George Harrison's contributions, until George finally walked out in disgust.

Paul was always bossy and wanted to be the producer. I bet that 'scene' with George happened during every album they ever made. Putting it in Anthology perpetuated the 'official' myth that everyone preferred to remember...just like George Martin maintained until he died that he hired Andy White because he had no idea that Ringo was going to show up to record Love Me Do...except that he already had just one week earlier...

18. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

By coincidence, tomorrow marks 48 years to the day that George walked out.

In honor, I'm not going back to work after lunch.

19. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Careful now, they might discuss bringing in Clapton to replace you.

20. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Ray, in that case, I'll "see ya 'round the pubs" :D

MoonPool, MekkaGodzilla, RayS and 3 others like this.
  21. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

First round's on me, boys:cheers:

Brother Maynard and dewey02 like this.
  22. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Today I was reading a music magazine at lunch and one of our tech guys comes in and starts quizzing me ("Name two songs from Abbey Road!"), then he gets excited and tells me there's a tribute band from England that I have to see. So gets his phone out and pulls up. . .

The "Don't Let Me Down" clip from Let It Be. He had no idea it was the Beatles or where it was from. I said it was the best tribute band I've seen.

Of course we all already know that the release of Let It Be on DVD is long overdue, but people are forgetting or don't even know about it, so waiting even longer isn't going to help matters any.

23. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Did the guy playing "John" have a nice razor nick on his Adam's Apple to make it real authentic looking?

MoonPool likes this.
  24. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

He sure did! These guys go all out!

MoonPool and Brother Maynard like this.
  25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

It will probably get released after Eagles reunite....well it could be some years away still!

Apple Corp lives in their one world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.