Paul McCartney, Press to play appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beatles Floyd, Jan 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatles Floyd

Beatles Floyd Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I really like this McCartney album. It's one of Paul's more experimental albums. I like the songs "Press" "only love remains" "It's not true" "Tough on a tightrope" and many more.

what do you think?

2. 905

905 Senior Member

Very fond of it. Good Times Coming Feel the Sun :righton:

theMess, RickH, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  3. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

This was the first new McCartney album to come out after the blossoming of my fandom. I love it. I have long thought that Paul should go in keep his and Linda's vocals and allow his current band to rerecord much of the music. It is really hard to get past the dated production. These are some really excellent songs that are marred, and for some entirely unlistenable, by 80's production.

Hep Alien, gja586, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  4. Beatles Floyd

5. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

6. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

This album was my transition point from LPs to CDs. I bought it in both formats, as I got my first CD player shortly after its release. The fact that the CD had 2 or 3 bonus tracks may have been my incentive to take the plunge.

7. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Fun album, not in my top ten, but something that I like to listen to every now and then. I like Press, Only Love Remains and the b-side It's Not True. Not a terrible album, but not one of my favorites.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  8. Beatles Floyd

I feel the same it's a fun album but not his best

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  9. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Same with me! My first CD purchase ever due to bonus tracks. Got a player a week later!

10. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I thought it was quite adventurous for him at the time. Plus, it was released at a time I recall so fondly. So, I consider myself a big fan

theMess and Beatles Floyd like this.
  11. 905

905 Senior Member

I'm one of those people who bought the CD with the bonus tracks not realizing they were bonus tracks :D

Beatles Floyd likes this.
  12. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Love the album even though I know it's a weak one. Still plenty of great melodies and my favorite Macca bonus track "Once Upon a Long Ago" on the later import CD version

13. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

First listen to this album, I went in with low expectations of a terrible album, and the album delivered on it. I have heard "Press" and "It's Not True" before from my 45 single but the fact that the "(Video Edit)" version of "Press" isn't on the album sort of lowered my liking of the song (that part they edited out of the (Video Edit) is so awkward). The only new song I liked was "Talk More Talk". I considered the three extra CD tracks as bonus tracks since vinyl LP's were still the main way music was sold and "However Absurd" sounds like the actual closing track on the album. From the extra tracks, "Write Away" was the only song that fell short of my expectations, so I can see how many would agree that the CD only tracks were superior than some of the tracks chosen for the album.

A few months later I decided to give this album another listen and the album was much better than I expected. I actually ended up buying it on iTunes as a result. The songs were much better received by me and it's a very interesting album in Paul's catalog.

Hep Alien and Beatles Floyd like this.
  14. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

At the time it was released, I liked it, but really hated the title track "Press". I knew it wasn't going to become a classic. As time went on and the albums got worse I liked it even more!! Some of the post Linda albums are hard to listen to. Memory Almost Full comes to mind.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  15. 905

905 Senior Member

Interesting point of view since so many of us McCartney fans love Flaming Pie and the Old Man Paul trilogy of Chaos and Creation in the Backyard, Memory Almost Full, and NEW.

16. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

We're right in the middle of this album's singles on the Solo Beatle Singles discussion thread, if anyone would like to join the party. Starting here:

Solo Beatles single by single thread »

theMess, 905 and Beatles Floyd like this.
  17. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I like it a lot. It's not one of his albums with many famous songs and big hits but it does not always have to be.

18. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

For those unhappy with the 80s sound of this album - try listening on a turntable (if you have one) with an Ortofon OM10 cartridge.
    I did that today, and was very surprised: the reverbs were pushed back, the fine details came out, and a more 'live' feel emerged. A very enjoyable, cohesive album.
    Same thing emerged with my original Flowers LP btw.
    As has been mentioned in other threads, a remaster or (ideally) a remix would probably help this material be more widely appreciated, should it make it to the Archive Collection. Would be a great candidate for 5.1 mix also :righton:

Musician95616, Hep Alien and Benno123 like this.
  19. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

It is definitely somewhere in my top 24 of McCartney studio albums.

I do like the single version of "Press".

Dodoz, Carlox and SixOClockBoos like this.
  20. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I like the first 4 tracks, after that I lose interest.

21. I like it very much...

Beatles Floyd and theMess like this.
  22. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

ANGRY!

23. bward

bward Senior Member

I just listened to PTP on my original vinyl the other night, for the first time in 10 plus years.
    And I have to say, I liked it a lot more than my CD copy. I dont know why this is....

It could also be that I dont know the running order of the songs, so I didn't know where the album was going next.

So, maybe this aged well for me.

I was surprised by this, as its never been one of my faves. And my original vinyl is still in great shape, seeing how I rarely played it.

24. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

The album/ songs I like ,the cheesy 80's production I don't, For the most part I would be pleased with this if it were released today minus of course the production which understandably is of it's time

25. Mumbojunk

Mumbojunk Forum Resident

My favourite McCartney album. Just brilliant, from start to finish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.