Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB Turntable -- Beatles edition

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joseph.McClure, Dec 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I think the only real upside to this is seeing that Best Buy is kind of pushing a "real" table that could be for the masses. But I think there are better choices for the money. Interesting choice right before the holidays though.

PhilBiker likes this.
  3. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

$649.98
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Daniel Thomas likes this.
  4. If it had the artwork from Revolver it would be interesting for about 10 minutes. But this, meh..

HiFi Guy, L.P., GuinnessDan and 3 others like this.
  5. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

6. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

It's all good, if it winds up as a music exsploration device in some kids room I'm all for it.

brad1138, PhilBiker and displayname like this.
  7. imthewalrus79

imthewalrus79 Forum Resident

If you were to choose one of the two to buy, which would you purchase: this Beatles Pro-Ject turntable or the Queen Edition Rega Turntable that was released a couple of years ago.

8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Queen Rega, that at least looks cool. this looks like a newspaper with 4 creepy severed heads.

9. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

You'd think the band's many iconic covers would lead to something colorful, if not necessarily tactful or esthetic. But who'd want this bleak old pigeon dropping ?

Robert C and Dennis0675 like this.
  10. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

The Wilco Schmilco table of course - the only one with lasting appeal

[​IMG]

11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That is pretty cool

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  12. imthewalrus79

Thanks. But I meant which turntable people think is the better turntable for playing vinyl.

I get what they were trying to go for. But the newspaper idea could have been done better. A Beatles turntable based around the Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour or Abbey Road artwork could have been amazing. Or, if they really wanted to go with a first US visit era turntable, I think either basing it around the "Meet The Beatles" cover or a scrap book collage style would have been much better from a design standpoint.

13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'm pretty sure they are the exact same table with only the color of the plinth and graphic being different. So naturally the Beatles model would sound better.

riddlemay likes this.
  14. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

How are they the same turntable? One is a Rega and the other a Pro-Ject.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I love the idea, but why not add some color to it? Why not use Abbey Road, Revolver, Rubber Soul, Sgt. Pepper, or something cool like that? This one looks like a kid's toy.

Rickchick likes this.
  16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Ah, my bad. I got confused, there is one at my local record store and he generally only carries pro-ject

17. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

18. timind

timind phorum rezident

At least they didn't use The White Album.

19. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

That would be awesome. Small raised letter "The BEATLES" under the tonearm, stamped serial number on the front. That would be better than this IMO.

20. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I hadn't noticed the price : $650 ?! How much is the regular Ersprit SB in the US ?

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

$599 though I've seen it drop to $550. Almost bought one and glad I didn't. In this case you're paying an extra $50 for some stupid graphics. I love the Beatles but don't need a Beatles-stickered TT. This is a cash grab for suckers.

22. PhilBiker

Geesh you think how much this forum loves The Beatles we'd be lining up for this product! :)

brad1138 likes this.
  23. imthewalrus79

I'll admit that, from a visual standpoint, the Queen Rega looks much nicer than the Beatles Pro-Ject. But from a feature/operational standpoint, I'm kind of leaning toward The Beatles Pro-Ject. Not that the Rega Carbon cartridge is bad, I like that the Ortofon 2M comes with the Pro-Ject. And even nicer to me is that the Pro-Ject has built-in electronic speed change. IMO, that's a lot nicer than having to remove the platter to move the belt or spend more money to get the electronic speed switching for the Rega.

What it obviously really comes down to is the quality of the sound each table outputs. Has anyone gotten to listen to either of these turntables, whether it be these exact two or regular versions of these/similar models?

24. PhilBiker

SpeedMorris and NOS300B like this.
  25. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Rickchick, L.P., Dr. Mudd and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.