How to prevent ringwear (or is inevitable)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Porkpie, Jan 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

I started recollecting vinyl about a year ago and have a healthy collection now but as the covers are important to me I want to ensure I avoid ringwear. Besides storing vertically and not too tight what else can be done to prevent it? (I'm not a big fan of keeping vinyl in plastic sleeves although I've read this helps.) what prevention methods do you employ?

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I don't bother buying the plastic outers as they are incredibly expensive down here, but leaving the shrinkwrap on has made the difference; no ringwear on those.

3. Porkpie

That's a good tip, a lot of the vinyl I've bought though is second hand

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Surrender to the outer sleeves then:sigh:

5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Remove LP from sleeve and store separately.....place cover in a plastic sleeve and stored away and don't handle it......or just relax and enjoy the hobby!!!:pineapple:

displayname, raq0915, Encore and 4 others like this.
  6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Yeah get the outer sleeves. I've used them since the 70's. And for what its worth most all the LPs I bought up to that long ago don't have any ring wear to the ink & artwork. I store them upright with the records inside, and keep them inside a house, even though I've moved many times.

quicksilverbudie and bluesky like this.
  7. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Do this only if you have 'the right' storage and nothing can fall in between individual LPs. Remember a mere sleeve - audiophile or paper, gives little to no protection to the vinyl surface -- even a teeny tiny speck of dirt between LPs can & will cause damage. I've seen too many cases where the record has a pin point mark or tiny scratch on it due to teeny bits getting pressed between the record and the LP cover adjacent to it.

8. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Don't pack your shelves tightly or even snugly; leave "wiggle room".

9. Slick Willie

My post was factious. Ring wear is not a big thing anymore. Sure, a plastic outer purt much kills the chance of it happening these days. But what genre is the OP speaking of, or rather what decade has he seen covers from that makes him think this is a big issue, Things were very different back in the day....with multiple folks shuffling unprotected album covers like a deck of cards on a daily basis.
    That type of wear possibility does not exist any longer, vinyl is more of a solo affair.

The Pinhead likes this.
  10. Slick Willie

Good advice to prevent cover bending when removing/replacing....while it can reduce cover wear, plastic protectors are the best (?) way. Just like wrapping furniture in plastic!!!

The Pinhead likes this.
  11. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

If the record is tight fitting, I tend to insert it between the outer plastic and album jacket.

This prevents ring wear as well as jacket wear

12. Slick Willie

Is not ring wear jacket wear?

The Pinhead likes this.
  13. Porkpie

Thanks for the replies, still don't think I can bring myself to start using plastic sleeves so I guess the question is just to get the right amount of "wiggle room"

qwerty likes this.
  14. Slick Willie

Another thing to consider is the size of your collection and rate of spins. Most wear comes from smaller collections with multiple 'browser's' - at least that's my experience.
    For higher dollar purchases, I strongly suggest plastic outers. But most of all...just relax and enjoy the experience!

'.

Gramps Tom likes this.
  15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I've used outer sleeves since I started collecting records at the start of the 70's, and none of my records ever developed any ring wear. It's worth it.

Vinyl Addict and Gramps Tom like this.
  16. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

Then you will have rubbing and ring wear damage. I say bite the bullet and start buying outer sleeves! They only cost about 20 cents a pop in my area.

Gramps Tom and katstep like this.
  17. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

If you're concerned about cover wear it makes sense to use outer sleeves. I'd recommend buying in bulk if you have a decent sized collection or intend to as it works out a lot cheaper. I paid NZ$360 for 1000 super clear outers recently. Normally they were NZ$60 per 100. I find the records slide out of the shelves easier too, so less rubbing etc.

18. Slick Willie

....as I sit here I am wundrin'.....why are we worried about something that takes so many years to materialize.....guess we are concerned for the next owner?:sigh:

Bob_in_OKC likes this.
  19. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

It seems ironic to me to be concerned about ring wear on an LP jacket and yet not be a fan of outer sleeves that protect the jacket. :confused: Ring wear is caused by the impression of the LP on the inside of the jacket being telegraphed to the outer surface of the jacket due to friction. One huge advantage of using a good quality outer sleeve is being able to store the LP (which is in a good quality inner sleeve, i.e., MFSL, Disc Keeper, etc.) outside of the LP jacket, with both of them in the outer sleeve. This has two benefits. It prevents seam splits and there is no longer an LP inside the jacket to make an impression on the outside. Just my two cents.

Mr.Sneis and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  20. jon9091

Someday my daughter will end up with my record collection, but is preserving records for future generations to enjoy such a bad thing? Or at the very least...I hope my wife can make some money off of them if she doesn't want to deal with them.

21. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Outer sleeves are great but some of the thicker covers are a real bear to get in.

Mike from NYC and bluesky like this.
  22. Slick Willie

Methinks either you are confused...or I misunderstand your point. Storing outside the sleeve prevents ring imprint. The rubbing/friction, with LP in jacket, is what induces ring wear. With LP removed...it just becomes wear, which is more uniform across the jacket/cover.

23. jon9091

black sheriff and timztunz like this.
  24. Slick Willie

True, to enhance value, a pristine cover is of great import. After 40 years of friction, a cover can become very worn looking. A cover seldom moved, will not show much wear.
    Ring wear is a badge of love, although all do not view it that way fo' sure! Without knowing how your daughter will feel about it in the future, nor the value of your collection for your survivors to sell......I say just enjoy the damn thingies!! Live in the 'now'!!!!!
    :bdance:

Gramps Tom likes this.
  25. jon9091

Live in the now...and take care of your stuff. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.