Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

M. Night Shyamalan says he has some ideas for it, plus Bruce Willis said 10 years ago he'd consider making it, but so far, both have been busy with other things. If I was the studio, I'd do a TV version of Unbreakable with a new cast, and I think that would have some potential as (say) a 10-episode Netflix show.

ex_mixer, Simon A and alexpop like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Tarantino lists "Unbreakable "in his 20 movie choices, about the only one I agree with him on.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  3. Vidiot

And in other 2017 news, there are no less than 18 Animated Feature Films due to be released this year:

The Red Turtle - Jan. 20
    The Lego Batman Movie - Feb. 10
    Rock Dog - Feb. 24
    Leap! - March 3
    The Boss Baby - March 31
    Smurfs: The Lost Village - April 7
    Spark - April 14
    The Nut Job 2 - May 19
    Captain Underpants - June 2
    Cars 3 - June 16
    Despicable Me 3 - June 30
    Blazing Samurai - Aug. 4
    The Emoji Movie - Aug. 4
    The Lego Ninjago Movie - Sept. 22
    My Little Pony - Oct. 6
    The Star - Nov. 10
    Coco - Nov. 22
    Ferdinand - Dec. 22

Call me crazy, but none of these light me on fire in terms of excitement. I think there's a big audience already for Lego Batman, and I get that Cars 3 has its fans (even though I personally think it sucks), and Despicable Me 3 will probably do well, but everything else leaves me cold. Pixar can generally do no wrong, though, and I would hope Coco will be interesting. But I'm concerned by how half of these are remakes or sequels. (And do we need two Lego movies in the same year?)

Details here:

18 of 2017's Animated Movies for Kids »

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Only that I'll maybe like is Cars 3.
    Captain Underpants ( and his talking toilets ...could be a smash "hit"
    (or, missing letter:)).

5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I saw The Red Turtle and it was pretty good. Felt like an ancient, classic fable put to gorgeous, understated visuals.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. That does look good...

7. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Vidiot likes this.
  8. Vidiot

I think Peter Jackson's remake suffered from the filmmaker's decision to wait an hour before getting to Skull Island, and then delaying Kong's first appearance in the movie. The new film reportedly does not make that mistake. Note that Jackson's film grossed $550M but was looked upon as a relative failure because of the billion-dollar performance of the Lord of the Rings movies. The $200M pricetag of the Kong remake (plus about $100M in promotion) made it hard for it to be profitable.

9. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Studio Ghibli can do no wrong, imho. Thanks for the screenshot. By the way, I had no idea it was out already in France. I'll have to wait until March to watch it...

MikaelaArsenault and Plan9 like this.
  10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It's a French-Japanese co-production. Ghibli actually had not a lot to do with it, apparently.

11. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Really? I saw the poster and thought they were involved. Anyway, whoever did it, kudos to them; looks like they made something extraordinary. Looking forward to watch it on the big screen.

[​IMG]

12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes they are involved, what I meant is that they didn't do the majority of the work from what I have heard. :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    MikaelaArsenault and PH416156 like this.
  13. Vidiot

Wow, that didn't take long: already three huge bombs for 2017:

Live by Night earned $2.9 million Friday from 2,822 theaters for a projected four-day holiday gross of $6 million-$7 million. That's bleak news for Affleck and Warner Bros., which spent a net $65 million to make the period gangster movie (tax incentives and rebates brought the budget down from $90 million). Live by Night, which first opened in select theaters over the year-end holidays, looks to come in No. 8 after poor reviews and a B CinemaScore.

The forecast is even worse for Silence, which is likewise expanding nationwide this weekend into a total of 747 theaters. The epic historical drama is tipped to earn just $2 million-$3 million for the four days after costing $50 million to make. Silence was financed independently, with Paramount handling distribution and marketing duties. Neither Silence nor Live by Night have generated much awards interest.

Paramount isn't having a good holiday, no matter how you look at it. Ill-fated family film Monster Trucks is DOA with a projected four-day gross of $12 million-$13 million from 3,111 locations against a $125 million budget. In late 2016, Viacom took a $115 million write down for the $125 million movie in advance of its launch, a highly unusual move. The movie earned $2.6 million on Friday, and received an A CinemaScore.

Box Office Pile-Up: Three Major Films Crash and Burn in Same Weekend »

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

At least Silence looks interesting and off the beaten track.

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Looks like wonderful romanctic comedy from Canoe Reeds again.

" 'fraid so".....

" 'fraid not."

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Not in the least for me....

17. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I saw Live By Night on Friday and it wasn't what I was hoping for. Though, it had beautiful scenery and time-period costumes and settings. I think Affleck and Warner Bros. will make it up when Justice League is released later in the year.

18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

it got panned by critics/fans and it's not going to win the weekend at the box office either, this one will disappear quickly

19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Who thinks what animated movies will flop this year?

20. Vidiot

And as I said earlier, this weekend has turned into quite a disaster for new films...

Never before in recent memory have so many movies bombed in a given weekend at the box office. With Monster Trucks, Sleepless, Silence and Live By Night dead, and Patriots Day underperforming, this MLK weekend completely blows away the disasters seen during the Oct. 23-25 weekend of 2015 when four titles tanked: The Last Witch Hunter, Jem and the Holograms, Rock the Kasbah and Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension.

In prior MLK weekends, there’s typically been one big tentpole that rules them all, i.e. American Sniper, Lone Survivor or Ride Along.
    But this year, the holiday weekend has turned into a dumping ground for adult scale movies sans awards traction, plus some poor counter-programming plays. All in, it’s largely a cannibalistic marketplace with six wide entries, three of them that busted wide.

‘Hidden Figures’ Calculates $25M+ Weekend, But Why Are So Many Movies Bombing Over MLK? – Sunday AM Update »

ex_mixer likes this.
  21. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I just can't wait for this remake. :biglaugh: The guy to the left of the Rock -- wow, he needs to step away from the needle, far far away . . .

[​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  22. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Legos Batman...smh. Has it come to this?

23. Vidiot

24. balzac

balzac Senior Member

"Monster Trucks" surely seems to be beyond awful (perhaps treading into "so bad it's good" territory), and is emblematic of all sorts of studio problems with bloated budget and bad ideas and all of that.

But I'm tired of the media wringing multiple identical stories out of stuff like this. The studio took a write down on the film months ago, and it was all over the entertainment news. People have know for MONTHS (and industry people for YEARS, since this film was made so long ago) that this film was going to stink. Obviously, box office numbers need to be reported. But it's no longer even a *slight* surprise that the film tanked. Frankly, I'm surprised it even got into the double-digit range past $10 million.

Stunningly, the film actually beat Box Office Mojo's forecast of a 4-day weekend total of $8.35 million by doing $10.9 million.

The "Silence" and "Live by Night" stories are also not really stunners. "Silence" did the $2 million Box Office Mojo projected it would (and remember it was only in 747 theaters versus the 2500-3500 that huge movies play; a quiet Scorsese film playing in 747 theaters was never going to burn up the box office charts). "Live by Night" is really the main underperformer out of this. Box Office Mojo projected just over $8 million and it did about $5 million. Neither number was going to be considered successful.

Vidiot likes this.
  25. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I'd also argue, in an industry where Disney films make tons more than seemingly everything else and you get week after week of lopsided results where a Marvel or Star Wars or animated film makes $75 million and everything else sinks, it's actually kind of refreshing and not the worst thing in the world to see that this weekend (based on projections) has the top seven films all between 10 and 20 million.

Of course that could well mean disaster for the studios and based on their budgets, but this goes back again to the fact that the underlying story here is less that "people aren't going to see this or that film", and more that studios spend too much money on their films.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.