"Weird Al" Yankovic Complete Works box set*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brownd, Jun 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heds

Heds New Member

Been linked here from the Weird Al Forum. May start posting here - you guys seem like my people!

If anything, I am by no doubt excited for this box set. I will definitely be throwing away all my money for this one!! Especially with all the rarities, I'm sure this will be worth it.

I'm just praying they throw on a new song. I heard there was some background chitchat with Scott Aukerman and Al on the CBBTV set... :angel:

2. Brownd

Brownd Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh. My. GOD. :yikes:
    Never would've expected Bermuda himself to show up here!! I feel so honored... I should re-enable email notifications, always forget to enter here.
    If you come by again, thanks for commenting!! Biggest fan from Argentina!! (last time I checked)

Also props to the WOWAY dudes! I should visit there again

OK, got a new email from Legacy, looks like the set is being announced tomorrow. I guess this could be the launch of the PledgeMusic campaign mentioned earlier?

http://image.fans.legacyrecordings.com/lib/fe9312747463077d72/m/1/weirdal_mobileimage.jpg

anthontherun likes this.
  3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

John Bliss likes this.
  4. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

God I have to have this, but questions abound.

Will the vinyl set be available to order from somewhere other than that site? Will it come with digital copies? Track listing for the rarities?

Gahhhhhh, I must have lol.

5. Brownd

Brownd Forum Resident Thread Starter

Maybe. They do list some items as being exclusive to pledge, even on the basic levels. And the description says there will be few copies done after the pre-purchase, presumably meaning they'll be available for order somewhere else after February

6. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

I asked Al on twitter about the remastering quality, if dynamic range was kept in tact for the old albums, and maybe improved on the later albums. I doubt I'll hear anything back, but if I do, I'll let you guys know. I'm also curious about lossless downloads, so I can go for the vinyl version. If not, might have to be CD for me. Thankfully they still come in the big box.

Mr. H likes this.
  7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Brownd likes this.
  8. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

$200 for the CD box is a little steep, but not too absurd for what's on offer. Fortunately, I have a few months to waffle before the inevitable happens and I pre-order a copy. :D

9. imthewalrus79

imthewalrus79 Forum Resident

What I like about the CD box is that you still will get the full size LP covers and the book will be the same size as the one in the LP set. I would have thought the CD set would have been a smaller version of the LP set. So that was a nice surprise.

John Bliss and Runicen like this.
  10. imthewalrus79

I'm having trouble trying to decide if I want to splurge for the Platinum Set or just go with the basic vinyl set. I definitely want the mat; but that's included in every set. The test pressing of an album sounds kind of neat; but as someone on the Weird Al forums said, they don't usually make that many test pressings. To be pressing as many as they are to ship them with all of these sets, can they really be considered test pressings or are they really just the album with a white label? And did they release any pictures of the extras (the turntable mat, the socks, etc.).

So, while the extras sound cool, if I bought the basic vinyl set, I could also buy the CD version of the set and get both for around the same price as the Platinum Vinyl set. And while I have all of Al's albums on CD, if the remastering is good, it would be nice to have them on CD, especially if the vinyl set doesn't include high-res digital downloads.

11. roughdiamondnickel

roughdiamondnickel Forum Resident

Hey Bermuda, thank you for appearing here! Can you describe the remastering process? Has the original dynamic range of the albums been kept intact? (IE, not squashed/brickwalled/compressed)

Brownd likes this.
  12. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

13. imthewalrus79

Hi Bermuda. I'd love to know this too. I'm also wondering if digital downloads (possibly hi-res) of all of the albums be included with the vinyl set. It seems a few of the fans on the Weird Al forums are wondering the same thing too.

Brownd likes this.
  14. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Great to see you pop your head in, Jon. Can't wait to see the tracklisting for that bonus disc! Hopefully one of the "surprises" is a full-band version of "Another One Rides The Bus" done in the style of Queen's original song. I'd love to hear you guys tackle that one! Hint hint.

longaway likes this.
  15. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

This is what I've been thinking, too - Al is an odd one to "remaster" since the songs he parodied had similar dynamic range (mid 80s!). So if mastered differently now, it won't sound much like it did. However, those songs have probably been "remastered" over and over and are squashed at this point, too for the common buyer/listener...

Al is (hey, like Bobby Darin) an EXTREMELY underrated original songwriter. Always ended up liking the originals more than the parodies he became famous for probably starting with "This is the Life". With Bad Hair Day there's no comparison! "Everything You Know is Wrong", "Since You've Been Gone", "The Night Santa Went Crazy" - "Amish Paradise" was the big single, but the album is great because of his originals.

So the newer albums are compressed but kinda should be - to match the sound of the song(s) he's taking the piss out of, IMO.

However, that means terrific originals also are squashed for album mastering continuity I guess. Take Lynwood - "White and Nerdy" is squashed as I think it should be, but the next track, "Pancreas" - the SMiLE-y original could sure use some RANGE.

So how to remaster Weird Al is a challenge IMO.

Just hoping for Al original-song demos!

A picture of a letter from McCartney or his reps turning down "Chicken Pot Pie" ideas (not out of malice) and other reject letters (more "vicious" ones like from Eminem) would be GREAT. Would love to see him print the "rejects" :D.

Jeff

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  16. bermuda

bermuda Forum Resident

None on this compilation, sorry. Although most of the band demos are quite good, I think they'd merit their own release some day. There was also a point where Al made his own demos for the band, who then made demos, and later went into the studio. Some of those are worth a listen!

Bermuda

17. bermuda

bermuda Forum Resident

The promo video about remastering says "we're covering vinyl, hi-res, mastered for iTunes, and CD..."

So... :)

Bermuda

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    John Bliss and Brownd like this.
  18. bermuda

bermuda Forum Resident

There's a promo video that discusses the approach (and process, somewhat) but I don't know when it will be available (keep an eye on http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/weirdalyankovic )

Bermuda

Brownd and roughdiamondnickel like this.
  19. bermuda

bermuda Forum Resident

I had originally thought that some of the pricing was a little steep, although for the basic set of 15 discs, that's $13 & change per album, plus the book, plus the accordion box. It's really not a bad deal. Same for the basic vinyl package at $300, that's $20 per LP, plus book & box.

Bermuda

20. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Kurt Cobain was also very pleased when Al asked to parody them. He just did not want it to be about food. It wasn't.

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I hope it has the rare mono mix of Waffle King with the trumpet outro. :)
    Yeah, apparently Nirvana got a big kick out of that video when they saw it on MTV. :) It's one of my favorite Al parodies and I'm glad it's still in the live set list after all these years.

22. AlanDistro

Bermuda, thanks so much for joining us here! I've been a long time "Close Personal Friend of Al" since that meant newsletters in the snail mail!

Can you clarify this and let us know if the hi-res downloads are included with the vinyl box set?

Or are they going to be sold separately on HDTracks, etc? The box set page claims the bonus disc is exclusive to the box set, so I would assume that if hi-res downloads were sold separately that HDTracks would *not* get the rarities collection? (that's why I'm hoping they are included with the vinyl box, that and I don't want to double up and purchase both the vinyl and the downloads)

23. AlanDistro

Also looking forward to this, I really hope dynamics were left in tact on the old albums, and improved on the later releases. Thanks!

24. imthewalrus79

It's definitely not a bad price for the sets, especially when you consider that a hardcover book is included and a special made box is being manufactured to house the records/CD's. The difficult part is trying to decide what version of the set or sets I want to purchase. ;) What can I say? I'm a huge Weird Al fan!

25. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Per my email exchange with Pledgemusic, there are no downloads included in this boxset.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.