SH Spotlight "In The Wind" stereo SACD by Peter, Paul and Mary from Audio Fidelity. Mastering secrets post #271

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 7, 2013.

1. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

Just received this yesterday. What fantastic sound on the cd layer. Just marvelous! Great, great job Steve.

bluemooze and Simon A like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Thanks.

WMTC likes this.
  3. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

The SACD layers of Peter, Paul, & Mary, and In The Wind are quite incredible ! But I'm sad
    when I play the original CD of (Moving). The excessive reverb makes me feel like I'm in the basement
    of Puff's cave! Yipes. My hope is the you may get a stab it (Moving) and restore it to sound like
    your other SACD remasters, Steve. Fingers crossed.

WMTC, billnunan and '67 Chevy like this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

I think another audiophile company did MOVING, didn't they?

Sorry!

I think the old WB LP of MOVING has a lot less echo than the CD version. Try one, a buck at your local thrift store.

McLover likes this.
  5. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

I think Analogue Productions has only done "In Concert" and "Album 1700".

You have done PP&M's debut album and "In the Wind", so that leaves:

Moving (3rd album, 1963)

A Song Will Rise (5th album, 1965)

See What Tomorrow Brings (6th album, 1965)

The Peter, Paul and Mary Album (7th album, 1966)

Late Again (9th album, 1968)

10 Years Together - Best of PP&M (1970)

The "Best of" is necessary because it's the only way we will get the song "Day is Done" (otherwise only available on 'Peter, Paul & Mommy', which I don't anticipate will be getting the audiophile treatment), and, because '10 Years Together' is a great compilation that will probably out-sell any of the others.

:righton:

bluemooze likes this.
  6. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

To the "People in Charge" if they could all sound like In the Wind, I'd buy them all tomorrow.

bluemooze and '67 Chevy like this.
  7. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

Me too :righton:

8. Steve Hoffman

MOVING was actually their second album. IN THE WIND was the third. Pretty sure AP optioned it..

9. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

Before my time :D

I will certainly take your word for it, I just listed them in the order they appear at Allmusic.com.

Which, I noticed, uses the Audio Fidelity photo of the debut album for their main discography page :righton:

(they need to brighten the photo a little though, it's way too dark)

If AP optioned "Moving", they must be sitting on it. They've been sitting on poor old Louis Armstrong (Satchmo Plays King Oliver) and Billy Joel's Greatest Hits for what, a decade now?

"TBA", that's what they say!

We need to start some kind of protest movement to set Louis and Billy free! :D

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    BeatlesBop and Steve Hoffman like this.
  10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

"In The Wind" SACD is on sale today (January 23rd, 2017) at Elusive Disc for $16.99.

If you do not own this yet, buy it! Even if you aren't a huge fan of Peter, Paul & Mary, buy it!

Clearly one of Steve's all-time best remasters and is a demo worthy audiophile recording!

11. Chris C

Forgot to add, that AF and Steve, really need to do their album "Moving", as it also deserves the same quality treatment that "In The Wind" got, if for no other reason than for a definitive sounding "Puff The Magic Dragon"! In the meantime, I love my original Warner Brothers mono 45 rpm!

WMTC, '67 Chevy and wvsteveo like this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Also love this one. Notice the lack of reverb compared to the CD? Wicked bad inner groove distortion though, sorry 'bout that, this was the only non CD version I could find.

13. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Wow what a deal.

I also use this disc a lot when showing offing the two-channel capabilities of the format. It's like your in the studio with them, close your eyes and they are standing about five feet in front of you.

14. Chris C

Another great track from the "Moving" album and a great example of just how good (naturally, minus the inner groove distortion), that album can sound, versus the horrible sounding CD issue, that was released years ago. Steve, maybe you could tell Marshall to check out this thread and show that there is serious interest in having you remaster the "Moving" album. I was never that huge of a Peter, Paul & Mary fan until I bought your "In The Wind" SACD and hearing the Warner Brothers/Rhino box set "Carry It On" and now I completely appreciate their greatness and the need to be sure that this music is issued properly for generations to come!

Another good one from the "Moving" album ...

Settle Down by Peter, Paul & Mary on Mono 1963 Warner Brothers LP. »

WMTC, bluemooze, ggjjr and 1 other person like this.
  15. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

Moving is the one that needed the work, one of the silliest sounding CDs I ever heard. The WB releases of both In the Wind and See What Tomorrow Brings sound excellent to my ears, and while I really do like the AF SACD of ITW, a redo of Moving would've suited me better.

WMTC likes this.
  16. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

Why not have both?

Why not have the whole PP&M catalog on SACD?

People aren't getting any younger, and neither are the master tapes!

WMTC, boggs, sgb and 2 others like this.
  17. bgiliberti

Not my call, but my thought is that the rule of "if it ain't broke don't fix it " applies to the WB cds of the next two albums, A Song Will Rise and See What Tomorrow Brings. They sound exceptional to me, and they sell for next to nothing, which fills my frugal heart with joy.

18. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

I thought that all of the original issue CDs had heavy reverb applied?

Hasn't SH commented on this?

19. bgiliberti

SH did say something to that effect about Moving, which is horrendous. I have definitely noticed some silly digital effects on In Concert (especially The Times They Are aChanging opener) and possibly the first album too. However, ITW, Song will Rise, See What Tomorrow Brings sound clean to me. Not sure about 1700 and later ones, which I don't have on Cd.

'67 Chevy likes this.
  20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

P.S. Gold label near mint PP&M Stereo LP discs are out there, and can often be had for little money. My NM Gold Label pressing of "In The Wind" only cost me $.99

rxcory likes this.
  21. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

The sound on this disc is extraordinary! I've never heard anything quite like it. Buy it today and buy a copy for a friend who has a great rig, even if he or she is not a PP&M fan. They'll thank you. I had the great good fortune of knowing Mary for a number of years (her daughter and my sister are best friends). She was a lovely, warm woman. I wish she were still around, so I could at least play this for her.

22. videoman

videoman Senior Member

My parents had 3 PPM albums when I was a kid and I played them all a lot. This one was my favorite. I never knew it was also supposed to be their best one.

23. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I know there are some here who would buy them all, myself included. Somehow I think that music on physical media is passé these days, though, and it is likely that such will dwindle to very few releases per year, not more.

24. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Glad to see this release getting more attention. As I've stated before, in my opinion the P, P & M sacds are in the top 5 of all the albums Mr. Hoffman has worked on.

Beautiful sound and beautiful music. Can't see how these will ever be improved. Better get them before they disappear.

WMTC and billnunan like this.
  25. bgiliberti

I agree, they are all great. Inspired by this thread, I went back and dug out all the early ones I have on CD. I was particularly surprised by how good "Album" is. It's pretty obscure, but it's right up there with ASWR and SWTB, and features some backing by Paul Butterfeield and IIRC Al Kooper. I hope SH will tackle this, which is fairly expensive now on the WB Cds.

billnunan likes this.