What is your most valuable LP (according to auction results)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinylfindco, Oct 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Probably this. Plus original Loveless. MAybe the Kraftwerk box or original unknown Pleasures

P J Harvey* - Dry »

Gavinyl and black sheriff like this.
  2. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

I have a NM copy of Tom Petty - Wildflowers. I think that's probably the most valuable. The weird thing is that I bought it sealed at Generation Records in the winter of 2008 for around $20. To my knowledge, and according to discogs, there were never any other reissues since its release (I know they just recently released it in the box set). Does anyone know if that is true? I find it odd that it would cost that much in a shop sealed when you will find people paying hundreds of dollars for copies. Also, it doesn't show any signs of being a bootleg copy. It plays wonderfully too.

3. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I don't think it was going for hundreds of dollars in '08.

black sheriff likes this.
  4. kutastha

kutastha New Member

5. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

That would explain it! Actually, it may have been 2009...

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  6. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

To be honest I've never checked, I buy my records for spinning and listening, not monetary value.
    I guess one could be my original rainbow label Capital Lothar and the Hand People debut album.

October Man likes this.
  7. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Clear Blackstar. I have 2, 1 still sealed.

Cliff and Vinyl Addict like this.
  8. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I have 1 of these also, it's gone down in value though. I have a few that have passed this in monetary value.

BeardedSteven likes this.
  9. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I have copies of Amused to Death, Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness and Pink Floyd's PULSE. They've all been fetching high sums in recent years.

10. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

11. Mike Campbell

Love the CD....no LP however. No CD or LP is ever for sale here....If I buy it, it stays home.....

12. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

According to discogs its the verve a Northern soul for upto £636, the who - my generation upto £422 and a few others that are potentially just over £100

Doesn't mean id get that for them though or even that I'd want to sell

13. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Yeah I haven't sold an LP in many years. Although I've given some away and trashed a few that were beyond listenable

14. Mike Campbell

If I were to sell a cd or an LP for a few hundred dollars, or a thousand dollars, The cd or lp would be gone, and the money would be gone soon after, therefore why sell anything? Both would be gone.

15. Clear vinyl? That may be a "fan club" reissue, as I'm pretty sure all the originals were on black vinyl.

16. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

17. Mike Campbell

Tommy Bolin White Promo album for TEASER...not for sale. Mint and never been played.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  18. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I've got a red vinyl copy of the Elvis' Christmas Album. It was my mom's, she bought it when it was new. It's not in mint condition, though, and it doesn't still have the shrink-wrapping or gold sticker.

Other than that, I don't know if I have anything particularly valuable on vinyl. I do have stuff like all three Zappa Old Masters box sets, and those are still in really good condition. I've got the Lynyrd Skynyrd Street Survivors cover with the flames . . . I don't know how rare those are though.

The majority of vinyl that I owned I gave away--thousands of albums. I've streamlined in recent years in general, and recently I've moved to listening strictly via streaming, so there's no reason to hold on to physical copies of stuff. I've only kept stuff that's a collector's item or that had unusual packaging and that has a lot of sentimental value--for example, Alice Cooper's Muscle of Love, which was in a cardboard "carton" of sorts, etc.

19. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Ah, but it's up to dealers to keep up with prices and some just don't bother.
    True story: I was at a record show a couple years back, and among the usual suspects I found a sealed copy of the first Sara Barielles LP for $10. I guess the guy didn't know or care that her early records are way OOP.
    Anyway, I threw it up on Discogs when I got home. Sold for $200 within the day. I wish my stock portfolio had that kind of return!!

20. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

You can get Mellon Collie for $64.28 on Discogs now. Four LP set. Not what I'd call a "high sum."
    But if you're talking the OP, that's still going for money... Albeit less than before the reissue.

21. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Probably the Let it be UK box set. €350, median discogs price.

Giorgio and ssmith3046 like this.
  22. Based on the minimum value: Umphrey's McGee - Mantis box set (this isn't really fair because it isn't just the LP)
    Based on the median value: 311 - From Chaos (interesting, wouldn't have expected this)
    Based on the max value: Black Sabbath - Self Titled, though mine is in awful condition because my dad didn't take care of it in collage. Its good for sentimental value, though.

23. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Why hasn't this been reissued on vinyl? All the Doves albums in fact.

It's Felix likes this.
  24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Probably my James Taylor Apple Mono lp

fortherecord and Jason Pumphrey like this.
  25. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Never knew there was a mono of that LP, nice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.