Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Don't have the Magee yet to compare, but my faves are probably the Mobile Fidelity CD and the Ludwig US vinyl. I should really break out the Anthem vinyl to see what that's like but I haven't done that yet.

2. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I will have to hunt that down! I know that the 03 matrixes onward are supposed to be fantastic and definitely on par with the MFSL according to a lot of the posts I have seen here

3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I would rate the MFSL a distant third (maybe fourth if I had heard the RL vinyl) so, yeah. :)

4. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I doubt that some people who like the 03 Atomic have heard the silverface or MFSL. The 03 Atomic is rolled off at the top and bottom frequencies.

DiabloG likes this.
  5. HotelYorba101

I have a question for you real quick! Is this the 03 mastering by any chance? I have a digital version of this however there is only a plus sign so I am not sure if it is the same mastering that is considered great by you and many others haha thanks in advance!

And on-topic listening to the 2015 Hi-Rez version of Moving Pictures it is definitely clear but not *as* warm as the majority of Sean Magee's wonderful mastering jobs within the Rush discog

[​IMG]

6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

That's the one I have and my favourite.
    I thought it was different from the 03 matrix (meaning the "good" ones started at 04, not including the 03) but I could be wrong.
    You can crank it high and it doesn't sound as thick as the MFSL. It doesn't sound rolled-off to me. I think MFSL went a bit too much out of their way to make it sound "analog". In my opinion.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    HotelYorba101 likes this.
  7. HotelYorba101

Thanks for the reply! Man there are sooo many masterings of MP it is crazy!

8. S. P. Honeybunch

The 03 matrix is likely from a vinyl production tape due to the early fades. The MFSL and silverface do not have those early fades and have more lower bass and upper treble. This post shows how the silverface/Chronicles (they are identical) compares to the 03 matrix on "Red Barchetta":
    The Rush cd mastering thread (part 2) »

DiabloG and HotelYorba101 like this.
  9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It's possibly RL's mastering, then.

10. S. P. Honeybunch

I think that's what happened with the early Yes 90125 CD, but I've never read anybody compare the Atomic 03 to a Ludwig vinyl cut for Moving Pictures.

11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

The MFSL MP is the least bright of all CD versions. That is why I like it best.

Frost15 and DiabloG like this.
  12. HotelYorba101

I do like the MFSL the best so far even over the new Hi-Rez digital version, it has warmth but keeps clarity intact - same with Signals

Edit: However when it comes down to a shootout between the MFSL versions of 2112 and Permanent Waves the new Hi-Rez are a big improvement IMO

DiabloG and Holy Diver like this.
  13. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I definitely agree with you about both of the MP Atomics (the 02 is the almost same as the 03 but is level-shifted and has clipping). My current favorites are the MFSL and the Anthem/US silverface.

14. David Jakubowski

David Jakubowski Forum Resident

For whatever it's worth, it appears the Mercury era download codes are now eligible for download through December 31, 2018.

15. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

Cool. Where did you see this?

rcsrich likes this.
  16. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

For the lossy vinyl rips...

17. David Jakubowski

Just ordered Grace Under Pressure and wondered what to expect with the downloads so I pulled out the old download cards/stickers from Hemispheres, Signals, etc. and went to the site listed to see if it was even still active. Not only was the site still there, the fine print below the online form now says offer good through 12/31/18. :)

And yes, this is for the 320k MP4s. Still thought it might be helpful to someone.

JediJoker likes this.
  18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Urrgh...

JediJoker likes this.
  19. HotelYorba101

I was listening to the Counterparts hi-rez version and comparing it with the Audio Fidelity version - it is hard to choose which I enjoy more! The AF version is a bit more clear to my ears however the hi-rez is very crankable and smooth sounding in my opinion. Unlike the original CD and the Rush Remasters version, both of these are very natural sounding and very pleasant to listen to.

I said this before in this thread but it just is so damn nice to see these recordings get their justice in terms of remastering - after the Rush Remasters and the Sector versions I pretty much just resigned myself to the fact that the original issued CDs were as good as it was going to get - in 2017 that is thankfully not the case!

Now if only Clockwork Angels was remastered by Mr. Magee ;)

20. MellowVelo

MellowVelo Forum Resident

Can anybody check to see if the Atlantic-era downloads are still available? I'd love to purchase all of them, but unless the offer was extended, it expired on December 31, 2016.

21. David Jakubowski

The site is still active but unlike the Mercury releases, there's no fine print mentioning the expiration date so without a code to try, I don't know if the downloads actually work. So, maybe? :shrug:

22. JediJoker

Yes, please! His work on Snakes & Arrows has improved that record immensely.

JulesRules and Plan9 like this.
  23. MellowVelo

MellowVelo Forum Resident

Hmm...good to know. I thought that I had heard that the downloads expired on 12/31/2016.

If anybody else has a code to try and wants to report here, I would be grateful.

24. JediJoker

The fine print is on the download cards themselves, not on the website.

25. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Quite difficult version to find this one (05 +), it requires a bit of hunting...
    Would that be a large improvement over the Hi-res remaster, or just minor? Thanks