Boston record stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by jalexander, Jan 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident Thread Starter

was recently in Boston for a couple of days and thought I would share my record hunting experiences. I'm pretty picky so ymmv.

Newbury Comics: went to the Harvard square and Faneuil hall locations. Both great selection of indie vinyl at reasonable prices. Nothing there I wanted that I didn't already have. Did buy an m ward and a yo la tengo cd used for $4 each. No complaints.

In your ear - Harvard square location is a crazy hoarders dream of classic rock. Bought John Coltrane's complete Africa brass on cd for $7. Owner was great for a chat.

Planet records- good selection of cds at decent prices. Vinyl was too steep for me... lots of grey market live albums on vinyl for $25. Good box set selection. Didn't buy anything.

Cheapo: sketchy store with tons of vinyl. Almost bought REM murmur for $15 but bailed at the last second. Lots of box sets there too and a diverse selection of genres. Smelly store. Reminds me of dingy used places I used to frequent in the 90s.

lightbulb likes this.
  2. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

There's also a pretty good one in Somerville (next to Cambridge) called Grooves. I like Newbury Comics but most of their vinyls are new. It is a great place to find CDs though.

3. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.