Is 'Let it Be' DVD finally coming?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DeYoung, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I think Jeff Jones in general has led Apple to less of the head-scratching decisions than Neil "a compilation of promo films is 'too obvious'" Aspinall, but yeah, someone needs to explain to them all that "Let It Be" is already out there and keeping it off the market isn't blocking anyone from seeing it. Has anyone told all the Apple shareholders that it's likely the most pirated music-related video of all time?

I did have a flashback to the old Geoff Baker/Neil Aspinall era when I read McCartney's manager trying to explain the "Flowers in the Dirt" "missing disc" controversy. A whole lotta explaining without any actual explanation.

2. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

Heres the deal about the Let it Be movie. For decades, we assumed Macca was blocking the release. He has said in a recent interview that this is false. SO, either Macca lied to save face, or we may see some progress. If Macca is telling the truth, which I assume he is, AND there is no one else blocking the release, this just goes to show how terrible the people at Apple are at listening to the fans

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  3. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I agree--it's like they just don't understand how things work now. I will say that as widely available as LIB is now, there will be a big splash when/if it gets an official release. It'll get covered on tv, magazines, all over the internet, and if it brings up bad memories among the survivors it won't be a feel-good time for them. Also Paul & Ringo will be faced with questions about it in interviews--probably for the rest of their lives. As much as I'd like to see a deluxe presentation released, I can also understand why they might just want the LIB album as the sole representation of that stage of the band.

supermd and Sean Murdock like this.
  4. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

I never assumed it was Paul...I think he would want to be seen trying to keep the band together, not to mention getting the un-Spectorized music out there. I always have, and always will, point to Yoko, until I have good evidence to look elsewhere.

5. Maybe after 55 years or so of dealing with all things Beatles, Paul, Ringo etc. are tired of it all and wealthy enough to simply not care if an old, poorly -made movie ever gets re-released?

thesisinbold and JediJoker like this.
  6. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I would totally understand this. And respect it.

kevywevy likes this.
  7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Yeah. A cursory viewing of the film might suggest Paul is the villain - the bossy egomaniac. But a closer look reveals him as the more-or-less hero, not to mention the STAR.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    IronWaffle, Dinstun and forthlin like this.
  8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I have the laserdisc & the bootlegged DVD. That's enough for me...

9. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Some weeks ago the old, poorly made "Hollywood Bowl" album was released for the first time on CD.Not to mention the "touring years" documentary. So, I assume they still care about The Beatles :)

forthlin likes this.
  10. forthlin

You're right of course, but Hollywood Bowl & 8DAW were basically about how awesome they were. Let It Be has some cool performances but the energy & electricity of the Beatlemania years brings it down several notches. Maybe it's because they do still care that they'd like to preserve the more positive and uplifting aspects of the band.

musicfan37 and PH416156 like this.
  11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I thought it was Neil Aspinall blocking it.

12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

eh, I get it. By the way, for the disappointed (like me) it doesn't help that the final scene of the "touring years" documentary is one of the rooftop performances that's part of "Let it be". Great sound and great visuals..and people have to see laserdiscs and bootleg DVDs! :sigh:

forthlin likes this.
  13. forthlin

The movie has always looked poor quality to me, and I saw it in theaters upon the original release. Part of the bummer aspect of Let It Be is how washed out it looks with poor color presentation. In addition to the segment from 8DAW there are film outtakes and still photos that look stunning. If LIB could be (or has been?) matched to look that good it raises the overall watchability of the film by quite a lot.

14. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

It still just blows me away how the time frame of the 60s was so much different in music and culture as compared to any other period in my lifetime.

I mean...from when the Beatles really exploded...for the US, summer of '64 to early '69 when Let it Be occurred.....4 1/2 years !!! That's all !

Unbelievable...the seismic shift within The Beatles, musically and in appearance. Nowadays, considering culture, music and appearance...4 1/2 years seem like weeks. Not such drastic changes.

Let it be....because....it just is ! :)

Bingo, vince and forthlin like this.
  15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I saw it for the first time on RAI TV in the 80s, and probably because I was a little kid the George-Paul discussion, the arguing and the whole mood of the film didn't seem so problematic. The music made up for it, and of course the rooftop closing warranted a fine way to end the film. That shouldn't be a problem, but I totally understand why Ono wouldn't want promote a product that doesn't show John Lennon at his best and Paul MCartney acting as the main driving force....

There were several clips posted a while ago on youtube showing great pic quality... and that was "unofficial" restoration

Beatles film "Let It Be" ... restored! »

Let It Be video outtake »

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    forthlin likes this.
  16. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I have the bootlegged Blu ray. That's enough for me...

17. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Let It Be will get a re-release. The question is whether it will happen in Paul and Ringo's lifetime (while they can still have some input into how it is re-released) or whether it will happen after they are gone (when they will have no input into it). Either way, it will happen.

I think there is a good opportunity to make a special edition of the film to be released along side the theatrical version. The special edition would be an alternative look at the making of the album, perhaps using some more upbeat footage and better editing to make it flow better. Also, including a full rooftop concert (whether it be part of a special edition edit or as a separate bonus feature) is really a must. After all, this is their final public performance, professionally filmed and recorded. There's no good excuse not to release it.

18. maclen

maclen Senior Member

Do you mean Paul and Ringo will face questions about the disharmony during the filming? For the rest of their lives? Perhaps somebody may ask them about it but I can't see Entertainment Tonight, or any pop media, grilling them about the Paul v George bit. It gets released. They do the interview rounds for a brief time and their participation is over. If they end up recutting the film that question may never come up. I can't see them worrying that much about it after all this time.

19. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I would love for someone to do a full re-edit and show the band in a more positive and uplifting aspect.

20. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I can't imagine everyone else with a say in the matter would stand for Neil's decision alone. My guess would include Yoko at the very least.

Not only that, but newly edited with footage & shots that were previously unseen. Enough teasing already.

21. Grant

From what I understand, Neil Aspinall was the most trusted person in their inner-circle. He was in charge of Apple's day-to-day operations and negotiations.

22. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Oh, I agree with you 100%, and fully understand Neil's dynamic throughout their entire history. But, I have to believe if any of the remaining Beatles, or maybe even the wives objected, their wishes would take priority.

23. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

My main gripe is that a ''dry'' re-release will just emphasize this: it's a messy, somewhat dull movie about a few people mumbling and muttering away and have a boring time trying to be casual about that boredom. Every now and then there's a spark or a nice joke and the rooftop-performance is almost worth the wait.

So it not only needs a digital clean-up (if possible), but a total and upbeat remux! For the hardline fans and historians there could be the official psycho-drama version with the bored looks; for the rest of us there could be more music, more songs and more fun!

kevywevy and forthlin like this.
  24. Grant

Well, he was trusted to act on their behalf. So, in that case, I don't see where they would object to anything he did.

25. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I thought I remembered reading that they weren't too pleased with his negotiations with Apple computer, where Apple computer ended up with the Apple trademark and licensed it back to the Beatles. Other than that, I think he was basically "one of them."

Grant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.