What's the best sounding "Boston"???????

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by robby, Nov 28, 2004.

1. aficionaudio

aficionaudio Forum Resident

If you have to choose between the standard 1985 EK 34188 (DIDP 020006), and the 1989 Japanese 25・8P-5192, choose the standard pressing.

The Japanese pressing has just a tiny *pinch* of refined bass, but it's not enough to say that's full-on noticeable in the mix in comparison to the 1985. You can't even tell it's there unless you A/B the pressings' waveforms on a song that features bass prominently in the fadeout, like "Hitch a Ride". The 1989's bass difference also gave it a much higher top end, and it ends up making the disc sound more digitally-processed and slightly harsh.

The standard 1985 USA pressing sounds a lot more natural and smooth.

driverdrummer likes this.
  2. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

To be completely honest, I have the 25 8P, the EK, and the SACD from 2000. I don't like any of them. Right now the 25 8P would be my preferred digital version. But the way to go is the MFSL vinyl. If you can get a vinyl rip of that, it's great. It's a travesty MFSL didn't release a companion CD with the vinyl. It's spot on perfect.

3. aficionaudio

aficionaudio Forum Resident

If it's as good as you say it is, hell, I would've sprung for an SACD companion.

4. 32XD Japan1

There are vinyl rips of the first Boston MFSL on the web if you know where to look.

5. Just picked up two US original Cd's for s/t and Don't Look Back. They sound pretty good after you crank the volume a hefty amount, especially on the s/t.

I liked Don't Look Back more than the s/t disc. The s/t has a more boomy lower end and leans to a very reverby sound. DLB sounds more balanced, but again, both are crankable.

telliott likes this.
  6. 32XD Japan1

The MFSL vinyl rip I have at 24/192KHz just destroys the first/second Japan mastering, the original EK Epic and the trebly SACD. For DLB the first Japan/Austrian mastering sounds pretty nice. There just isn't a satisfying cd version of the first Boston.

7. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

It seems the Mastersound releases in general are bright to me.

32XD Japan1 likes this.
  8. 32XD Japan1

The Mastersounds are worse than the standard Epic EK CDs.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  9. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

I found the Mastersound (1994 Suoer Bit Map) of s/t bright, harsh and dry, especially for the first side. However, the DLB Mastersound I have sounds warm and smooth, at least compared to my US with DADC hub. For s/t, I like the Japan first CD pressing.

10. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I found a relative steal on eBay, last week, and it arrived, today.
    Behold, the 35 8P-7 "Don't Look Back," in the original smooth sided case.
    $8.63 delivered to my door.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

A CSR for US, nice find!

12. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

My eyes about popped out of my head when I saw the white "compact disc" logo on the cover and the $6 "buy it now" listing.

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the best sounding boston is the one that sounds best to you.

ricks, driverdrummer and RnRmf like this.
  14. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

Are you sure?

I was under the impression that the best sounding were the hardest to find, manufactured before most people had cd players, and pressed in foreign lands.

ricks and Strat-Mangler like this.
  15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Wally Traugott cut. Easy peasy. None better.

16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

yes, i am 100% positive...if i like the way something sounds i could care less what everyone likes.

they are my ears and my brain.

if you like pasta from restaurant A, and someone tells you restaurant B is better, and you try restaurant B and you still think A is better, would you stop going to A just because someone told you this?

same thing.

ricks likes this.
  17. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

Do you have a preferred version of "Don't Look Back?"
    This is actually the first time I've ever purchased the title.
    It sounds decent for an early cd. I'd have a hard time believing nothing sounds better, though.
    I like the album more than I thought I did. I figured I was exclusively a self titled fan but after listening to the whole thing, yesterday, I liked most of it. I'm a sucker for their soaring guitar sound.

18. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

"Walk on" is there last great album (but unfortunately you must have a vinyl of it which go for $100+ brand new and I can't find a hi-rez copy anywhere ) , Corporate America is for die-hards like myself and there last album is pure garbage love,peace,hope , Not sure what they were thinking on that one . But hey 4 killer albums out of 6 not too shabby :) . Just a note about "walk on" Fran Cosmo is on vocals , So give it a chance , The live shows from 94-03 were amazing with Cosmo and Brad Delp together . Still waiting for a dvd/bluray of that era Tom promised , 20 years later and still nothing .

Purple and Christopher B like this.
  19. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

What about the Hd Tracks DSD 2.8 Of s/t , very expensive , Are those ever on sale ?
    Also whats this Gastwirt Canadian original press cd and is it worth seeking out ? I was able to find some sources for the MFSL and Wally LPs . The Wally is a tad better .

Best for Don't look back . What's wrong with the SBM of that ? I have it , Nothing really wrong with it . I have the gold MFSL cd for Third Stage much better then the original cd from what I hear , I'm happy with it .

sandimascharvel likes this.
  20. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

You could do worse, but I don't think it's worth it.

21. Massproductions

Massproductions Forum Resident

It's pretty amazing that their first album sold so well, considering all the instruments were recorded on a 16 track deck in Tom's basement.

22. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Just a quick question: Does the band sing the harmonies on that first album or are all the voices Brad?

Juggsnelson likes this.
  23. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

All Brad I believe......amazing!

J_D__, telliott and sa5150 like this.
  24. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

yes my friend all Brad :)

25. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I saw them live in '78... the harmony singing in concert was quite lacking!

Juggsnelson likes this.