Hendrix- Cry of Love 2014 vs First Rays 1997*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fooboo, Oct 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Thanks, great list!

Stepping Stone / Izabella on Voodoo Child are so VERY similar to the original single mixes -
    I´d say they are from the same February 1970 mixing sessions by Jimi and Bob Hughes, thus not posthumous.

dee and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. I put asterisks next to them because it is a bit unclear, but generally speaking, I consider them authentic mixes from the spring.

Pop_Zeus, alchemy and crozcat like this.
  3. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut Well-Known Member

It's possible he could have revisited the planned live album that was replaced by Smash Hits.
    I don't know if he would have wanted to follow BOG with another live release, or if the label would have approved it.
    It would have bought him some time to work on First Rays and maybe finish up the double LP concept he had in mind.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Hard to imagine Reprise accepting both Smash Hits followed by a live album of recycled Experience songs -- Reprise wanted new studio material and had paid out considerable advances on future royalties. Hendrix was likely going to have to deliver something new by the end of 1970.

alchemy likes this.
  5. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

First rays for me.... I got a hendrix family vinyl reissue from 2010.
    It sounds superb to me. I bought the cry of love reissue on vinyl and felt it was thin and not as good sounding. The mix is maybe better though, more raw.
    anyway i wound up sticking with first rays.

6. fooboo

fooboo Member Thread Starter

Do you have some knowledge of 2010 / 1997 difference?
    I found 1997 version to be hard rock record and before the time sounding.
    FR and COL-reissue to me sound like two different albums entirely.

7. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The 2010 vinyl of First Rays sounds better than the compressed CD.
    The Cry of Love remastered CD sounds fine.
    I like both, but the CD of First Rays was a hard listen, so I got rid of it when I heard the vinyl.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  8. fooboo

I asked a guy with vinyls, 1997 FR and 2014 COL to hear it again.
    FR should be from digital source, but I did like it a lot. More than COL, but I
    assume Jimi's intention was not to be Deep Purple. Those 2 vinyls, the same
    songs are not the same at all. One is Jimi, other is hard rock band. All is
    different, to my ears.
    I just cannot decide.

9. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

97 is same as 2010..just different mastering.

It could sound like a different band but it's mitch mitchell overdubbing his drums. It is him. slightly different mixing and fades by kramer.

honestly, since jimi is dead, we don't know which version jimi would have liked anyway.

My ears gravitate to sound quality in this case. Still sounds like jimi to me though.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Nothing is remixed on First Rays....

dee and DTK like this.
  11. DamageCase77

DamageCase77 Well-Known Member

I found a beat up but plays great old Cry Of Love and it's a blast. A great compliment to the big 3 Hendrix releases. Friggen' shame he died that way, been listening to him for 16-17 years and I still get floored by his music.

12. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

compared to cry of love? yes it is.

13. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

No. Same mixes, different mastering.
    The 1997 First Rays had the first second or so of the drum intro to Ezy Ryder missing, though.

dee, DTK and slane like this.
  14. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

really? they sound so different.

15. fooboo

Have to admit I liked compressed and brickwalled and from-digital 1997 FR a bit more.
    I just did not hear arangement I did on 2014 COL. Are they different? Yes! How much?
    Opposite.
    I assume COL is what Jimi envisioned. Punk record like FR just cannot be him. I
    see him recording all those guitars left and right and in front and... A mistake, if you ask
    me. He was the best when he was playing simply.
    Different mixes or masters? Just take a look at Band of Gypsys and new Machine Gun.
    Same band, same place, two different records. I like BOG a lot more. Machine gun seems
    wrong to me. No power. I might change my mind when I listen to sacd.
    Best regards.

bluejimbop likes this.
  16. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

First Rays Of The New Rising Sun would've been close to perfection if they replaced "My Friend" and "Belly Button Window" with "Midnight" and "Pali Gap". :thumbsup:

17. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I like all 3, you can be a loyalist and stick to COL and RB but when first rays came out for people like me when I was 20 I loved it. I snapped up the reissues of COL and RB of course and also have found nice original pressings of both.

18. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut Well-Known Member

Tonight, I burned a cd of First Rays using the 2014 Cry Of Love and Rainbow Bridge cds along with War Heroes.
    I wanted to know how much the mastering of the 97 First Rays affected the album.
    To me, First Rays was much improved with the 2014 remastering.

19. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Did you change the track listing at all from the released First Rays, replacing My Friend with Bleeding Heart for example among others?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  20. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

First Rays should be used as a coaster or a frisbee depending on weather you bought it on cd or vinyl.

21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

People here might dig this blog posting.

Jimi Hendrix & The Cry of Love –
    First Rays of the New Rising Sun
    (soniclovenoize reconstruction)

Nov 2014 UPGRADE

Side A:
    1. Dolly Dagger
    2. Night Bird Flying
    3. Room Full of Mirrors
    4. Belly Button Window
    5. Freedom

Side B:
    6. Ezy Ryder
    7. Astro Man
    8. Drifting
    9. Straight Ahead

Side C:
    10. Earth Blues
    11. Izabella
    12. Drifter’s Escape
    13. Beginnings
    14. Angel

Side D:
    15. Stepping Stone
    16. Bleeding Heart
    17. New Rising Sun (Hey Baby)
    18. In From The Storm

This is an UPGRADE to my reconstruction of Jimi Hendrix’s final album before he passed away, First Rays of the New Rising Sun. Hendrix had spent the final year of his life—and especially the final months—working on what would-have-been a double-album follow-up to Electric Ladyland. Instead of assembling the album as Hendrix had envisioned, the material was dashed together by producer Alan Douglas and released on a number of posthumous albums, including The Cry of Love, Rainbow Bridge, War Heroes, Loose Ends and Voodoo Soup. After securing the legal rights to his catalog, a separate attempt was made by The Hendrix Estate in 1997 to re-issue a compilation meant to replicate Hendrix’s wishes for First Rays, but many fans noted that poor song selection and mastering missed the mark as well. My reconstruction attempts to gather all of Jimi Hendrix’s own final mixes of the most completed tracks when possible (13 out of 18 songs), ignoring posthumous mixes. Also the sources featuring the best mastering and highest dynamics are used to correct what both Douglas and The Hendrix Estate could not, and present a more accurate representation of what Hendrix desired for his swansong and come-back album.

The upgrades to this Nov 2014 edition are:

• “Dolly Dagger”, “Room Full of Mirrors” and “Hey Baby” are all taken from the new 2014 Experience Hendrix remaster of Rainbow Bridge, the very best source for the songs
    • “Night Bird Flying”, “Belly Button Window”, “Freedom”, “Ezy Ryder”, “Astro Man”, “Drifting”, “Straight Ahead” and “Angel” are all taken from the new 2014 Experience Hendrix remaster of The Cry of Love, the very best source for these songs
    • The actual vintage Jimi Hendrix mix of “Earth Blues” from the Purple Box is used here, replacing the posthumous mix found on Rainbow Bridge
    • The actual vintage Jimi Hendrix mix of “Drifter’s Escape” from South Saturn Delta is used here, replacing the posthumous mix found on Loose Ends
    • The actual vintage Jimi Hendrix mixes of “Stepping Stone” and “Izabella” from a needledrop of their single is used here, replacing the posthumous mix found on War Heroes.
    • The actual vintage Jimi Hendrix mix of “In From The Storm” from West Cost Seattle Boy is used here, replacing the posthumous mix found on Cry of Love.

Here is a link to the blog, it is interesting if you haven't seen it.

Albums That Never Were: Jimi Hendrix - First Rays of the New Rising Sun (upgrade)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  22. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

The CD version is admittedly bad from a sonic perspective but the 2010 vinyl has excellent sound.

iloveguitars and dee like this.
  23. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That's because of crummy mastering.

Best route is:

2014 discs of Cry Of Love and Rainbow Bridge, and 1980s Polydor disc of War Heroes...and then make a cd-r of First Rays, and it'll be light years better

24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Slightly different mixes of those two singles are on the "Voodoo Child" 2CD compilation.
    I've never taken the time to really sit down and compare them but do you think the original 7" single mixes are the best of all?

25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Cry of Love, for me. In fact, I still have my cassette from the '80s. :)

clhboa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.