What's the difference between "Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab" and "Original Master Recording"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DK Pete, Feb 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident Thread Starter

Both are from Mofi and we refer to both as "MFSL's"...but is there a categorical difference in terms of the sound quality or mastering method between the two? I'm guessing "yes" so now my question is, "what"?

Heckto35 and lightbulb like this.
  2. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab label is the 70s 80s and 90s label name. They stylized it as MoFi when they were purchased by Music Direct in the 2000s around the time they introduced mini LP packaging on CDs and sacds.

On the title block Original Master Recording is used when original master tapes are used in mastering. They began using Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab at the top of titles when they were unsure or unable to source the original master tapes. There may be some older titles that have OMR but didn't use the original tapes before they started using the differentiator.

3. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Clear explanation. Thanks!

RunningWithScissors likes this.
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident Thread Starter

Excellent explanation; thank you. And for what it's worth, I can give you one of those older titles: Magical Mystery Tour.

5. George P

George P Notable Member

Has anyone started a thread that indicates the reason why the master tape wasn't used? Like in the case of Nashville Skyline, for example. I know they had found the master tape for the 2003 remaster, so it seems odd that the master wasn't used for the recent MFSL SACD.

6. Rea

Rea Well-Known Member

7. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

THANKS for this explanation, I'm finding my way into a return to Vinyl well "new" vinyl at least and have just got Bill Withers Live on MOFI OMR from 'The Vinyl Adventure" playing it as the first thing through a tube amp into Klipsch Quartets has blown me away close my eyes and I'm in the front row ..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.