Billy Cobham "Spectrum" by Audio Fidelity

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Dec 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loz

Loz Forum Resident

Cymbals are very bright compared to the HD tracks version :(

2. I hope there is a big difference, because I find the old Atlantic CD way too bright. I hope the AF has a much more natural sound. The DVD-Audio from many years ago was much better sonically (more natural sounding), but it was a new mix, and the mix was not that great in my opinion. I am hoping to get the original mix in similar sound quality as the DVD-Audio.

3. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

The Surround Sound mix and the sound quality on the Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD edition of Spectrum is much better than the DVD Audio edition on both counts.

4. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

Just had this arrive today. I have had this for years but never have I had a copy that matches this. It sounds amazing. I find myself listening for the noise and imperfections of Bolin's Echoplex. Every nuance seems to pop out with clarity. Fantastic playing all around on this release. Man I love Tommy's playing!

footlooseman and fredblue like this.
  5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Looks like this is back in stock at places after being out of stock and "awaiting repress" for months. I just got a notice my order at importcd's that I placed months ago is on the way. Never heard the album before, so I'm looking forward to it.

6. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...how's the Bernie Hancock - Thurst album sound?
    :uhhuh: Haha! Happy Friday! :cheers:

7. agentalbert

8. Hearing these positive reviews makes me want to get a SACD player!

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I've been watching for it to return to an in stock item.

Last night when I looked again it was no longer listed as an item at all. See link, I think it is MIA.

http://www.importcds.com/search?q=Audio+fidelity&mod=LA#!?pagenum=3

10. agentalbert

Yeah, I don't see it listed in their catalog either. I'm glad they filled my order. Maybe they filled what they could, but aren't taking anymore. You might go ahead and order from acoustic sounds who shows it as " in stock' right now. They may only have a few, though. Music Direct and Elusive Disc don't show it in stock. Amazon says it has 1 left.

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'm going to have to wait until Jeff Beck Sony/Japan Wired 5.1 / Quad SACD is in stock so that I can at least get free shipping out of it. Their shipping costs are outrageous imo. That or / and use a coupon code.

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's worth grabbing a player, especially if you enjoy surround like 4.0 or 5.1.

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You can request a cheaper shipping option such as USPS media mail if you call AS to place your order. I can't wait for the Wired JSACD be released!

fredblue likes this.
  14. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

Did anyone compared the Audio Fidelity mastering to the HDtracks one?

15. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

The HD Tracks one is a port of the DVD-A I believe. I wasn't a fan of it but YMMV.

16. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

The Audio Fidelity version of Spectrum is taken from the unreleased 197o's era edition of Spectrum vs. the Warner DVD-A edition remixed later.
    In Surround SACD, the Audio Fidelity edition is light years ahead of the DVD-A. You haven't heard this one in Surround until you hear the Surround SACD. :)

Definitely an SACD to buy before they disappear from the market.

Instant Karma, Jimijam and gd0 like this.
  17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Brain's post above should read: The Audio Fidelity version of the Spectrum surround mix (4.0) is taken from the unreleased 197o's era quad mix, vs. the Warner DVD-A (5.1) edition which was remixed much later.

Everyone that has compared the two mixes strongly preferred the 4.0 70s mix from AF.

But yeah, grab this one before it's gone, because it looks like it's going fast unless AF represses it soon. It's been in short supply (or out of stock) at the usual online houses for 7 months now.

18. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I saw two Sony SACD players today in Goodwill (for the most part, people are very unaware of the format, at least that has been my experience).
    I don't see them there often but it does happen.
    I gave my brother one for Xmas along with a copy of the SACD of Dark Side of the Moon, but he hasn't bothered to try it out (he is not into surround sound stuff like I am).

19. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

And now for a completely dumb question (sorry guys): what happens if i listen to a surround mix with headphones?

20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

If you or your player don't fold down all channels to a stereo pair before listening, you'll only hear the 2 front channels.

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Wasn't the stereo version of the DVD-A also remixed? Or am I mixing it up with another album?

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Could be, but it would be unusual for the stereo program to get a remix for a DVD-A w/ surround (Steve Wilson not withstanding).

23. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Yes, sounds like a downmix of the surround mix. The stereo mix on the DVD-A is not the original mix.

24. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

I have the SACD......they are all numbered with the limited edition number, what ever than means..I have number 273....I buy anything with Bolin on it....

Todd68 likes this.
  25. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

The sound is PERFECT. Comes out of the system like a freight train

Todd68 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.