IMDb eliminating its message boards

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Feb 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Message Boards - IMDb

IMDb is the world’s most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content. As part of our ongoing effort to continually evaluate and enhance the customer experience on IMDb, we have decided to disable IMDb’s message boards on February 20, 2017. This includes the Private Message system. After in-depth discussion and examination, we have concluded that IMDb’s message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide. The decision to retire a long-standing feature was made only after careful consideration and was based on data and traffic.

Increasingly, IMDb customers have migrated to IMDb’s social media accounts as the primary place they choose to post comments and communicate with IMDb’s editors and one another. IMDb’s Facebook page (IMDb | Facebook ) and official Twitter account (IMDb (@IMDb) | Twitter ) have an audience of more than 10 million engaged fans. IMDb also maintains official accounts on Snapchat (Add me on Snapchat! ), Pinterest (IMDb (imdbofficial) ), YouTube (IMDb ), and Tumblr (IMDb ).

Because IMDb’s message boards continue to be utilized by a small but passionate community of IMDb users, we announced our decision to disable our message boards on February 3, 2017 but will leave them open for two additional weeks so that users will have ample time to archive any message board content they’d like to keep for personal use. During this two-week transition period, which concludes on February 19, 2017, IMDb message board users can exchange contact information with any other board users they would like to remain in communication with (since once we shut down the IMDb message boards, users will no longer be able to send personal messages to one another). We regret any disappointment or frustration IMDb message board users may experience as a result of this decision.

IMDb is passionately committed to providing innovative ways for our hundreds of millions of users to engage and communicate with one another. We will continue to enhance our current offerings and launch new features in 2017 and beyond that will help our customers communicate and express themselves in meaningful ways while leveraging emerging technologies and opportunities.​

alexpop and driverdrummer like this.
  2. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Sure, stick it to the "small but passionate" fans, who were probably there from the first day.

I have no experience with the IMDb boards, but the same thing happened to a fan site I was on a few years back. It was a pretty tight community by online standards. We all used twitter to discuss the band as well, but the board was obviously better for long discussions. After the board went away, everyone drifted and I don't even follow the band anymore.

Why do these sites think FB and twitter are the answer to everything? Unless the board was overridden by spam and/or trolls, I doubt the maintenance was breaking the bank.

3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

It's big shot Hollywood putting pressure on them because they don't like criticism. Actors.:shake: Be nice or shut up.

4. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I use them now and then, just as a reader - I will miss them a little, but no big deal. They are hard to navigate, so I won't miss that.

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Rarely looked at them. Won't be missed. Take 'em.

Nostaljack and GodShifter like this.
  6. Pastle

Pastle Forum Resident

That's too bad, because sometimes there were interesting discussions about movies that maybe were a little confusing or vague.

spanky1, Binni, Dude111 and 16 others like this.
  7. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

That sucks. I mainly looked at the message board for DVD release information on old, obscure movies and TV shows. In many cases, I found useful info that was several years old--the kind of stuff that will be wiped out now and likely never re-posted on the almighty TwitFace.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  8. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

Agree. Looking beyond the par-for-the-course noise, clutter and arguing, there were many passionate movie fans that would post, often adding great tidbits of info that I've never seen anywhere else. I'll miss it as an archived resource.

(Unless Wayback Machine holds some of that info? I honestly don't know.)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    stunner2020, Planbee and Spitfire like this.
  9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

This is bad. There is a lot of crap there, but as IMDB is one of the first places I go to see info on a movie, the message boards are the first place I go to get answers to questions. Often times there is already a thread on what I'm looking for and its easy to start a new one and get an answer when there isn't. Trying to search through Twitter or Facebook to find something is near impossible (f0r me) and I won't do it.

I use the message boards pretty regularly. Really annoyed to read this.:mad:

Jarleboy, Dude111, Silken and 14 others like this.
  10. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I used it quite a bit after watching certain movies. Too bad they're getting rid of it.

spanky1, Scooterpiety, Silken and 3 others like this.
  11. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Judging from my last couple visits, they want the space for ads.

Exotiki, Silken and Thwacko like this.
  12. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Cowards.......... IMDB that can't handle the truth..

13. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Based on the top 100 list on that site I stayed away from the message board.

14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Well this stinks. I wonder why they are now doing this all of a sudden.

buzzzx and OldSoul like this.
  15. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

The only good thing about it is that at least I'll never see the trolls again. One troll started posting there two years ago, and he is a real pain. He says he's more intelligent than anyone else, and he uses insults like "**** for brains", "*** breath", etc.

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

That's terrible news !!!
    Sure you get the odd nutter /troll/wt.
    But, a lot of passionate movie and informed fans post there.

AndrewS likes this.
  17. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

This is part of my life dying! I go to the IMDb board for SNL every week. I go to boards for movoes and TV shows to see if they're good, or see if anyone else caught things I did. This stinks! Maybe I'll still use the site for trivia and goofs, but I think I'll be done with it, mostly. Whatever--more space on my phone.

Scooterpiety, Texastoyz, Tuco and 2 others like this.
  18. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Those message boards were a cesspool.

19. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Instead of closing them they ought to do like Yahoo and others do - make them into complete and utter click bait, slow as anything, frequently freezing POSs. Then they'll fit right in.

20. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Sometimes flushing the septic tank is required.

21. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Let's see if they keep those 250 million users after the boards are gone. For some films that was the most informative area to read.

22. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

That disappoints me because they were quite a haven of weird trivia. I hope they're archived.

Steve Litos, alexpop, spanky1 and 2 others like this.
  23. Joey The Lemur

Joey The Lemur Forum Resident

This is disappointing as - among all of the expected nonsense - there were often wonderful bits of trivia and insightful observations.

24. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Good to finally know that all the useful, informative stuff I read on their message boards was just sht. Thanks for setting me straight. :rolleyes:

Mr Sam likes this.
  25. Ophelia

Ophelia Forum Resident

I've been a user of IMDB for roughly 10 years and to be honest, it went from being a nice informative place of discussion to basically being an extension of youtube's comment section with petty battles over a film's box office takings vs. another's films and such.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.