SH Spotlight The True Story of the "Into the Mystic" mixing goof on Van Morrison's "Moondance" album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Thanks for the info...love this forum!

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

DrJ, ARK, ex_mixer and 5 others like this.
  3. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Funny that. My story is virtually identical. Had a UK original vinyl back in the day; replaced it with a white label, "Strawberry" matrix, Warner's K 46040/WS 1835 reissue (a German pressing, like a lot of Warner's were), still in good nick, and now also have the Rhino 2008/09 vinyl remaster. As you say, the tamb' is louder on the Warner's version.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  4. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Great illustration why it is so difficult 40 years later to do a decent job remastering - its not just grabbing a tape from a shelf.

5. AstrlWks68

AstrlWks68 New Member

6. AstrlWks68

AstrlWks68 New Member

So Steve, I'm still just a little confused. Which version was pressed more? I have a WB copy (olive label) with the tamborine, and A W7 label without the tamborine. Which version was pressed in later years with the other label variations? Is my W7 copy rare?

7. AstrlWks68

AstrlWks68 New Member

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I have NO idea, but the version without the percussion is the version I've run into every time. I think the original CD has the percussion on it, doesn't it? Can't remember now, sorry!

9. moj

moj Forum Resident

Will need to dig out my recentish 2CD version later on and have a listen. If I remember correctly, the featured outtake has a more 'atmospheric' foghorn that was crying out for some Otis Redding seagull noise...

10. Steve Hoffman

My CD doesn't have the tambourine on it, just checked.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

12/10/69 tambourine mix:

ARK likes this.
  12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

1/5/70 no tambourine remix:

13. Steve Hoffman

So which mix do we like better?

I like the tambourine/foghorn mix myself. More percussive. The remix sounds too laid back.

kt66brooklyn, hoggydoggy and bzfgt like this.
  14. Slappy9001

Slappy9001 Senior Member

I like the 1/5/70 mix more myself.

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

With this album, that appears to be the case. But it isn't always. Sometimes RE1 (or later) is the first version actually released to the public. So the presence of such a marking isn't in and of itself enough to tell if a pressing is not original or not.

That said, looking back, @GetRhythm doesn't note an RE1 in the matrix itself, even though it's on the label. If that's the case, it seems that pressing *was* original, or at least used the original parts.

As far as Moondance goes, I'm trying to make sense of what was released when. Looking back, lots of people have posted bits and pieces, but often not everything. It's clear that pressings with RE1 matrices contain both mixes, but it isn't clear if pressings *without* RE1 only contain the remix, or also have the original mix. And it seems that the labels don't always match what's in the grooves.

16. AstrlWks68

AstrlWks68 New Member

I'm just curious... Does anyone have a later "palm tree" label or white "WB" label copy, and what version was on the later pressings? I only have the two olive labels. "WB" and "W7". One with tambourine, and one without. Just wondered what version was more well known.

17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im glad to have the tamborine mix. I think I prefer the non tamborine version. Not because I dont like the tamborine, but the foghorn and other percussives seem to be more subtle in the non-tamborine mix. Not a big deal. Its a great song and neither mix stinks. Just a preference.

18. Steve Hoffman

The version I cut with Kevin Gray for Rhino vinyl had been reissued. Anyone confirm? Another bookstore special?

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I used to own the white WB label version. Non-tambourine mix.

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

"Barnes & Noble Vinyl Day exclusive."

Van Morrison - Moondance

Released: 12 Aug 2016
    • Matrix / Runout (Side A runout, stamped): R1-1835 A XXXXXXXXXX
    • Matrix / Runout (Side A runout, hand etched): KPG&SH@ATM 14583.1(3)
    • Matrix / Runout (Side B runout, stamped): R1-1835 B XXXXXXXXXX
    • Matrix / Runout (Side B runout, hand etched): KPG@ATM 14583.2(3)
    Moondance [180 Gram Vinyl]

[​IMG]

21. anti PC.

anti PC. Forum Resident

What is the difference sound wise between this new release and the 180g in 2008?

22. Steve Hoffman

23. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I have a Canada WB gold label of Moondance but it says RE-1 1A. Did anyone find a US 1A? Canada did use the gold label a couple of years later than US WB. I think they skipped the W7 label and went straight to the WB shield.

OK I did see one person had a US 1A in the thread .

24. Steve Hoffman

Moondance. Good idea, I'm in the mood. Thanks.

JeffMo likes this.
  25. Brian DeWitt

Brian DeWitt Senior Member

My palm tree label copy has the tambourine/foghorn mix.

Steve Hoffman likes this.