"Why" does this Turnabout label classical LP sound so fantastic? (Aubort/Nickrenz team involved?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParloFax, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParloFax

ParloFax Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

I got one sealed for very little money and didn't expect much... But wow!

And on top of that, the pressing is practically flawless!

I can't describe the SQ, just that it is so lifelike and enchanting... The recording sources apparently are all over the place, spanning from 1961 to 1968.

The most impressive selection to me is the F major string quartet, from 1961.

I have read here about that particular recording/engineering team of fame, and I was wondering if perhaps this one isn't one of their lauded works for Vox/Turnabout/Candide?...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    McLover likes this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Marc Aubort was certainly working during that timeframe, although I'm not positive he was at Vox consistently. He certainly did a lot for Vanguard in the 1960s.

I know that there's no credit on the back cover, which makes me think it may NOT be an Aubort recording, but I can't say definitively. Maybe there's a CD or later LP reissue that includes recording credits????

McLover and ParloFax like this.
  3. ParloFax

(Bump)

4. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Judging by the performers, those recordings were made in Europe, probably by European engineers. They may have used engineers who worked for government-supported radio. Those guys were often quite good.

5. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Nice photo of Lovecraft & his bride.

ParloFax likes this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Turnabout is a very underrated Classical label for sound quality. Those Thomas Mowrey engineered albums are especially fine, the Aaron Copland LP discs by the Dallas Symphony are awesome.

ParloFax likes this.
  7. ParloFax

Are there any signs to identify these, runout groove signature and things like that?

My Ravel just have little faint scrawls. Perhaps these were great Decca recordings to begin with...

8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

The Loewenguth Quartet did at least some of their recording work in NYC.

ParloFax likes this.
  9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Thomas Mowrey engineered the Donald Johannos/Dallas Symphony recordings. Those are Turnabout original recordings. Many of the European originated Turnabout recordings were European broadcast network recordings. And done by the European network engineers and usually often very excellent.

ParloFax likes this.
  10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Turnabout did issue some earlier mono Decca recordings. The ones I have say somewhere on the jacket "A Declon Recording". Declon=Decca/London.

ParloFax likes this.
  11. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Marc Aubort and Joanna Nickrenz produced a lot of Maurice Abravanel/Utah Symphony recordings for Vox. I'm listening to their 1974 Tchaikovsky Manfred as we speak. It sounds great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.