Hendrix- Cry of Love 2014 vs First Rays 1997*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fooboo, Oct 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

On the other hand it is likely mastered from digital sources, so 70s pressings of Cry of Love, Rainbow Bridge and War Heroes are preferable- same mixes, all analog.

2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I haven't really taken the time to compare them that closely. The compiler wanted to use the original mixes if possible but I supposed you could substitute the ones on the Voodoo Child compilation.

3. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

It shouldn't be dismissed just because it comes from a high res digital source, digital, if mastered correctly and this is, can sound wonderful.

southamorican likes this.
  4. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Even so it just doesn't gel IMO I love all the music but it's CoL, RB, & War Heroes for me

2014 RB cd sounds so good to me

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  5. slane

slane Forum Resident

Whatever they are, I'd say those mixes on VC are vintage mixes, not posthumous mixes, so would still be eligible to use on a 'Jimi mixes' First Rays like that posted above, rather than resorting to needledrops.

Pop_Zeus and crozcat like this.
  6. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you on that but the vinyl "First Rays" should not be dismissed from a sound quality perspective.

Luckily I'm one of those who can enjoy the original three albums and "First Rays" equally, in fact I listen to whichever album depending how my fancy takes me on any given day.

dee and James5001 like this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

For sure. It's a matter of taste; I haven't yet heard First Rays on vinyl, but the original Ludwig-mastered US issues of Cry, Rainbow and Heroes are great.

GuildX700 and hodgo like this.
  8. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Problem with this is when you get to the South Saturn Delta and Purple Box tracks, the sound will be radically different due to the compression on those digital masterings. I would use the Rainbow Bridge/Loose End CDs for those tracks to make it sound more uniform.

SOONERFAN and DTK like this.
  9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Or the vinyl editions of SSD and the box set? I don't actually know of the box set was issued on lp.

Another "problem" is that apparently Jimi supervised the Mitch drum overdubs on Stepping Stone and Earth Blues, but there were no mixes done while he was alive.

10. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

I have both vinyl an cd version of First Rays and I believe it's the same mastering (I can be mistaken of course, I just remember how dissapointed I was). I guess the differences are in the medium or preamp.

DTK likes this.
  11. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Just listened to this yesterday, it's my go-to version of the album! :thumbsup:

12. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut Well-Known Member

No, I left the track list the same.
    It was really just an experiment to see if I liked the album, as released, better with a different mastering.
    I'm still more likely to listen to Cry Of Love, Rainbow Bridge and War Heroes than First Rays.
    I do think First Rays would be a more popular album with fans if the mastering was the same as the COL and RB reissues.

Pop_Zeus and DTK like this.
  13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

best to make a cd-r and use the 1997 cd as a coaster, or for skeet shooting ;)

Jam757, Pop_Zeus, DTK and 1 other person like this.
  14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I was never as much a fan of Cry Of Love especially after I found out they were told to alter their original track listing.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  15. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

What was the original track listing?

16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Add Dolly Dagger and Room Full of Mirrors and delete Straight Ahead and My Friend.

Pop_Zeus and footlooseman like this.
  17. Not in my opinion....I love Belly Button and My Friend.

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

One of my problems is that My Friend was recorded much earlier than the other tracks.

19. Yes, but I still think it works in the context of the album.

20. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut Well-Known Member

I think My Friend is a good song, however....

I don't like the production on it. What I mean is, that the people in the background sound like they are the people who love everything Jimi does because he's Jimi Hendrix and they get to hang with him and sponge drinks off of him. They're the people we would like to go back in time and warn Jimi about.
    I don't know who they are, maybe they are the other musicians on the track.

The other thing about the song is Jimi is trying too hard to write a Bob Dylan song. That's how it feels to me.
    It's clearly influenced by Dylan and Jimi did a better job on it than a lot of people would, but he doesn't need to be Dylan.

I like Belly Button Window just the way it is.

Pop_Zeus, alchemy and Pete Puma like this.
  21. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Never got the trying too had to write a Dylan song vibe on "My Friend" an obvious influence but enough of Jimi's own quirk.. Certainly got vibes of Dylan trying too hard to be Woody on occasion though lel

Rockin' Robby, Pop_Zeus and SOONERFAN like this.
  22. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Are there any Rainbow Bridge CDs prior to 1990? Discogs is a mess in that category.

23. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Only a boot/pirate Red Bird label from Japan. I believe they added the Bog singles Izabella, Stepping Stone.

I have it, as I recall it didn't sound too bad.
    Then I made my own needledrop.

24. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

A lot of the voices in the background are Jimi himself.

Rockin' Robby, dee, Lonson and 2 others like this.
  25. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

I love all the input here.

I love all the proposed album configurations.

The reality of the time, Jimi was under heavy pressure to deliver product to Reprise / Track. He needed to have an LP to as they say, hit it out of the park. I don't think a double LP, with what material we have at the time of his death would have done it, even if he would have had another month of quality studio time.

HE was musically in transition, and generally an artists following don't take to kind to those changes. I do not see thsee songs as transitional game changers.

At the time of his death, I recall the live LPS at the time. Side 1 of the Monterey Pop concert, Woodstock with the great Star Spangled Banner and the Bog Gypsies LP with Machine Gun.

A lot of people I knew loved most off of Electric Ladyland, All Along The Watchtower & Voodoo Child (Slight Return). Couple those with Machine Gun and Star Spangled Banner and you have a large audience nor really ready for the material of Cry Of Live or First Rays.

Of course with Jimi moving on to the Astral Plane, there was no more new Jimi to enjoy. I think we embraced his final LP in a different way, when he died, than we would have if he had lived.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.