Any ambient recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ls35a, Feb 9, 2017.

1. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

If I'm listening to say, a Mozart sonata, it's really hard for me to not sit down and listen.

I've tried a few ambient albums and really like having them on when I'm doing the dishes, etc.

Here's a few of my fav's:

Music for Airports and Lux - Brian Eno

From Sleep - Max Richter

The Ultimate Nap - Jeffrey Thompson (found on Amazon)

Any recommendations for similar titles?

2. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Bonobo (for me at least... I know a lot will disagree... caveat: I haven't heard his most recent album "Migration")

Beamish13 likes this.
  3. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

If you like the Eno one id recommend his Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks

4. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

A current favourite of mine, and just about to be reissued on vinyl:

mono.edition, ispace, btltez and 3 others like this.
  5. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I recently picked up the collaboration albums between Harold Budd and John Foxx and I'd say they fall into the general area you're talking about.

Translucence and Drift Music are the two I've heard. There's a third that I haven't laid ears on yet.

WvL, Billy Infinity, Donal and 3 others like this.
  6. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

926am and patient_ot like this.
  7. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

William basinski's "the disintegration loops"

8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Check out this thread:

Top Five Ambient: Your Choices?

If you want lighter-flavored Eno, try the Pearl w/Harold Budd and Thursday Afternoon.

Phillip Wilkerson is a newer artist that does a lot of that floaty, borderline ethereal ambient. I thought his album Sojourner was very good. Might be up your alley.

You could also check my blog and IG page for some suggestions.

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Great album, might be too dark and minimal for some. I also love his album Sheer Hellish Miasma, but that is not really ambient at all.

926am likes this.
  10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Probably my second favorite Eno work after On Land.

Icethorn, Rundfunk, JDM and 1 other person like this.
  11. cevans121

cevans121 Forum Resident

I can't say that I'm well versed in this genre of music, so correct me if this album doesn't fall in the category.

Ben Frost - Aurora

Icethorn and ____pier____ like this.
  12. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

13. Charles Buxton

Charles Buxton Forum Resident

Steve and John Hackett did a beautiful album of hist stuff: "Sketches of Satie"

Icethorn, Northernlight and lightbulb like this.
  14. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Eventually, most of Brian Eno's music will be posted in this thread... :laugh:

Evening Star by Eno/Fripp

It's Ambient,
    But listening to it while falling asleep evokes feelings of floating in the air or drifting on water, as the waves ebb and flow gently....

15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

johnnypaddock and patient_ot like this.
  16. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Robert Fripp ‎– At The End Of Time: Churchscapes Live In England & Estonia, 2006

17. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Mentioned it in the best of 2016 thread recently, but if you like a little psych with your ambient, I've been listening a lot to the latest from Surya Kris Peters called The Hermit, really nice album, highly recommended. This is the solo project of Christian Peters, who is also the main man in psych band Samsara Blues Experiment. It's got a middle eastern sound with elements of kosmische, electronic drones, some early Oldfield and Jarre, some classical influence, really pretty amazing. It's his first full length, actually I think it's a collection of previous download only releases, so not completely connected in a traditional sense, but it still all works together beautifully. He's also got a new one called Holy Holy Holy coming soon. Some good times for ambient psych music now.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    zphage likes this.
  18. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I really like Bonobo but he's not anywhere near being an ambient electronic artist.

19. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident

20. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

MLO Productions - IO (1994)

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Eno's Thursday Afternoon. I remember I bought it used and thought "what is this crap?" Then, I stopped listening and went about doing other things, and by the time it was over, I understood what "ambient" meant.

22. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

Kompakt's Pop Ambient series is top notch. Any volume will do the trick, 2002 & 2006 being my personal favorites. Really any ambient album on Kompakt is great, Ulf Lohmann, Markus Guentner...
    Pop by Gas is a must have, and it's the most beatless compared to his other albums.
    Rainbow Dome Musick by Steve Hillage is another go to for me.
    The Orb's new one, Chill Out World/COW is fantastic too.

23. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Great recommendations....I have most of the Pop Ambient series and almost every track is worthwhile.

3Dman likes this.
  24. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

+1 for this; its fantastic.

DJ LX likes this.
  25. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

Definitely Harold Budd/Brian Eno "The Pearl". Also Brian Eno "Thursday Afternoon", and "The Plateaux of Mirrors". Check out "The White Arcades" and "The Room" both by Harold Budd.

Heck... just listen to anything with either of their names on it, basically.