The BLUEGRASS thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

There's not really a general, all-purpose bluegrass thread, so let's fix that. Let's talk about favorite bands, artists, recordings and releases.

For instance, I'm a huge Tony Rice fan and own most of his many recordings on vinyl and CD. I just recently found that there is a 2010 release of 1975 live recordings from a Japan tour of the classic J.D. Crowe and The New South band, "Holiday in Japan", a double CD. But it took me a while to find what I believe is the only place to find the set, an internet site called CountySales.com. I can't believe this was off my radar!

I also ordered two CDs that bluegrass fans should find interesting: The New Kentucky Colonels, one live in Sweden and one live in Holland, from their 1973 tour. The Sweden release was previously released on vinyl only, as "The White Brothers Live in Sweden," and this new CD release is expanded.

Anyways, let's talk BLUEGRASS!

hippieben, Sean, SOONERFAN and 40 others like this.
  2. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I have "Live In Sweden" on cassette. It's a good one. Love Clarence White!

gotblues and Jerry like this.
  3. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

I'm going to see The Steel Drivers tomorrow night! A friend of mine is a huge bluegrass fan and every time there's a show he drags a bunch of us with him. Shows are always exceptional- some of the best musicians coupled with some tight arrangements. Recommend me some!

Scratcha likes this.
  4. Jerry

Recently I was listening to the 1975 album "Pistol Packin' Mama" by Frank Wakefield and the Good Old Boys, and was blown away by the brilliant interplay between banjo master Don Reno and legendary fiddler Chubby Wise. It's a shame that the earlier recordings (1962) of those two with Frank Wakefield and Red Allen are scattered and tough to find.

wrat, rockinlazys, mando_dan and 3 others like this.
  5. Dok

Dok Senior Member

zphage and Retro Hound like this.
  6. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

The farthest I go is string cheese incident an left over salmon. I love bluegrass in the jam context.

Ricky skaggs is great in small doses.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  7. Scratcha, lazydawg58 and timind like this.
  8. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I like Tony Rice as guitar legend,awesome singer (especially of Gordon Lightfoot tunes) and member of The New South. I'm more of a Norman Blake fan but I don't know if he's hardly strictly Bluegrass. That's just one of the musical genres he dwells and excels in.

I have The White Brothers In Sweden on Rounder vinyl. Love the song Why You Been Gone So Long. Is that a Mickey Newbury tune?

lazydawg58 and Spadeygrove like this.
  9. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

I want to hear a bluegrass band covering Rush and King Crimson. I know there's a version of "Indiscipline" by John Cowan (called "Mr Banjo"); anyone know of more?

10. Dok

Dok Senior Member

11. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

There was a Beatles bluegrass album: Charles River Valley Boys - Beatles Country.

I kind of got more into bluegrass through all the '60s California musicians that were into it before they rocked out... Jerry Garcia, Chris Hillman, The Dillards, Clarence White and The Kentucky Colonels, Bernie Leadon. This lead back to The Osbourne Brothers, The Blue Sky Boys etc. etc. and I'm still getting into it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  12. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Steve Gulley and New Pinnacle.
    Check them out.
    The real Mccoy.
    Saw Steve Gulley and band perform in the tiny town of Cumberland Gap, Tennessee.
    Go to those parts in southern Kentucky, and deep NC, Virginia, and Tennessee and you will see and experience real heritage bluegrass music.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  13. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

This is my favorite performance and video of this iconic song...

14. applebonkerz

and I really miss Letterman for featuring things like this on his show...

15. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

16. Jerry

My first bluegrass experience was "Old & In The Way." Still my favorite bluegrass album.

Dok, Slim Pickins, wrat and 23 others like this.
  17. applebonkerz

the show, and people that first got me to love hearing bluegrass (besides Flatt & Scruggs on The Beverly Hillbillies)--Roy Clark...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  18. applebonkerz

Grandpa Jones and Stringbean

19. applebonkerz

20. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I tip my toe a little into bluegrass & own a number of bluegrass CD's. The true bluegrass experience is of course seeing it played live.
    An exhilarating near religious experience - which is strange for an atheist to say.

timind, 4xoddic and IanL like this.
  21. applebonkerz

I don't suppose an AD/DC cover will suffice in the wait for more Rush and KC? :shh:

22. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

About time. Great thread!

23. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

Tim O'Brien and Hot Rize. See Avatar!
    Great thread

McLover likes this.
  24. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Del McCoury has always been tops in my book.
    On the more novelty side of things, the first Hayseed Dixie album (of all AC/DC covers) is interesting and the Iron Horse - Fade to Bluegrass (Metallica covers) album is pretty good.

25. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Strength in Numbers - you can't go wrong with Bela, Edgar, Jerry Douglas, Sam Bush, and Mark O'Connor.