Oppo Sonica DAC with flagship ESS ES9038PRO SABRE DAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Billy Budapest, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree that the 205 will likely have similar playback capabilities as the Sonica DAC.

2. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

We hope this is true, but until it appears we won't really know (unless a beta tester wants to chime in with info)

3. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Only a slightly unrelated note, I've been playing FLAC files via the USB (A) input on the back from a portable storage device. The 105 doesn't provide gapless playback, so I tried connecting my laptop (I have duplicate FLAC files on it) to the B-type Audio USB input and using JRiver MC22, but it doesn't recognize the 105. Any suggestions? (To be clear, I want direct playback, not streaming through my home network.)

4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

To answer my above question, it seems that I need to download and install Oppo's USB Audio Driver. I tried, but when I click on the file, I get an error message: "Application not found." Grrr. I wrote them to see why the file won't work.

5. Robert van Diggele

Robert van Diggele Forum Resident

when you browse to the USB device and select the folder, pressing the Option button on the remote will give you a Gapless playback option if I am not mistaken. Disadvantage of this is that you have to have a screen on to see what is happening. USB dac or DLNA playback is more convinient.

6. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

I believe you can enable gapless from within the remote app for smartphones. Haven't tried it myself. Does require the player to be on the same network as your phone, and yes, I guess the phone's screen needs to be on (does that count?).

7. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

As I posted for you in WBF, if you have a 105 (not D) you must use the older driver (from 2012?)

The 105 will provide gapless playback from a USB drive connected to the front panel USB input. At the bottom of the display screen on the menu line is a "button" that says "gapless". Won't work for DSD, though

Robert van Diggele likes this.
  8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I saw and responded to it! Is the front input limited in its sampling rate?

9. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

DSD64

10. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

That's plenty. Thank you.

11. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

What do these last dozen or so posts have to do with the Oppo Sonica DAC?

JediJoker likes this.
  12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Wondering if its developments will be implemented in the 205, for one thing. And imagine that, a thread that gets a little off-topic on this site.

JediJoker and RocketUSA like this.
  13. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

Way off topic....

14. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Here's a friendly tip, post your unanswerable wonderings on the Oppo-205 thread.
    Most everyone interested in the 205 is wondering the same things but until the NDAs are off no one who knows can post and when they can, they will.
    Logic and past Oppo history dictates almost a certainty that the DAC feature set will be identical.
    I'm looking at the Sonica as supplement to the 105 in my 2-channel system and the 205 as a replacement in the theater\multi-channel room.
    All will be answered in short-order.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    JediJoker likes this.
  15. Robert van Diggele

For DLNA gapless playback that is true. The Oppo Media Control app lets you browse the music folders. Once you select the folder, you have to press the first songs slightly longer than you normally would. A pop up shows, asking you Normal play or Gapless play. But this has to be done everytime you browse to another set of files. As far as I know you cannot set this as default.

16. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

I believe it's true for local gapless, as well (from attached USB or NAS storage).

17. Robert van Diggele

You are probably right. I only use the USB dac and DLNA therefore cannot verify.

18. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I've been looking to upgrade my 105 for a few weeks now having just been introduced to Roon and Tidal. With all the networking features and hopeful updates, I'm thinking I'll give this DAC a try. Oppo service is hands down the best. I was thinking about the Gustard x20 pro but it comes from far away and not sure about support in the future. I believe there is a 30 day return policy too, I recall I sent back their 103 for the 105 with no issues.

Haven't heard a lot of reviews from new owner, please feel free to speak up! We want to know your thoughts.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  19. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Pulled the trigger, why ask others when I can try risk free at home?

Robert van Diggele likes this.
  20. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Well, as it's not yet available on this side of the pond, your observations would be greatly appreciated while I'm waiting! ;)

21. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Will do, hoping to get it by Saturday...my Roon trial runs out in about a week and I want to see if I really need to use their software to playback my files with Tidal.

My current setup is Synology DS716+II > Roon 1.3 > Oppo 105 via USB In this configuration I do not get DSD playback over USB as the first generation 105 doesn't support it.

I have been playing my DSD and other files over wired Ethernet as the Oppo 105 wireless had too many drop outs playing hi rez.

I really want to test out wireless in the Sonica to my NAS and see how it compares to Roon over USB. Same with Tidal...so many options to test out, so little time!

FYI Oppo confirmed that MQA will not be supported. Roon may be the an option for this if they add it to v 1.4, making the expense a little easier to justify.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    dZp likes this.
  22. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Good to see someone gets it.
    Now let me know what you think so you can make up my mind for me :righton:

Honestly, I'm already pretty well sold on this DAC but until my living room
    is put back together it would just sit in the box plus there will likely be a few
    firmware updates, maybe not.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  23. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I'll have it Saturday...just a heads up, USPS Priority is the best shipping route as they deliver in 2-3 days and drop off on Saturday.

24. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Don't get side-tracked by low priority tasks like showering, honey-dos, responding to texts from family, etc.
    Stock up the bar today and get the pizza delivery number on the cel-fone screen.

dZp and cyclistsb like this.
  25. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Bottle of Ardbeg 10 Year old acquired and ready to go...showering optional and the massive CA rain storm will keep me inside for the weekend. Just hoping power doesn't fail me!

The ultimate goal is to see if I really "need" Roon....its not cheap. If I can DNLA my DSD (all 64) from my Synology, then I'm golden. However, Oppo told me over the phone that Tidal MQA would not be supported ever but maybe they will find a way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.