Any good record stores in Dallas??

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Tony Caldwell, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

Which part of town are you going to be in? If closer to Fort Worth, I recommend Doc's Records and Vintage.

2. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

Thanks, Claxton, going to be in both Ft. Worth and Dallas across four days, with a good amount of free time. Looks like I have a good few to check out!

3. AmosM

AmosM Courtier to Queen Jane

Come to Denton! You can park downtown and walk between two cool record stores on the square, Mad World and Recycled Books & Records, then grab a burger and beer at LSA or Barley & Board, and catch great live music at the iconic Dans Silverleaf--all within a single square mile.

4. Claxton

Ah man, I lived in Denton during the heyday of The X when it was on Fry Street. Good times. Spent many hours in Recycled as well.

Grootna and AmosM like this.
  5. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

Maybe I've just had bad luck/timing, but the three times I've been to Good, I haven't found anything - I usually only buy used, and the selection was pretty limited.

Josey is on my way home from work, and I stop by once or twice a week - I usually find something to purchase, most often from the $1/$2 bins.

Docs is on the west side of Fort Worth (about 45 minutes from Dallas), but whenever I do get over there, I find something interesting. I happened to be over there today - everything I posted earlier today in the "How's Your Luck in the Used Bins" thread was from Docs.

With all of the stores (including the large number of HPBs), the just-arrived bins will have the best stuff, but Docs has the best selection in their standard/not-just-arrived used bins, and they give 10% off for cash payment.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  6. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

I'll have to drive out to docs sometime, i havent had much luck with the josey 1/2 bins as the discs of what i want are usually beyond saving. but i never have time to really dig through all the 1/2 stacks at josey theres a ton.

I hit up Josey about once a month (more than that and i get the stink eye from the wife) I make a b-line to the new release section, but if you go on a weekend during peak hours be prepared to fight for space to look.
    Josey records has reasonable pricing on a lot of stuff, they can be a tad on the higher end (not outrageous just the higher end of discogs pricing) on the popular records such as pink floyd, zeppelin, etc but they price accordingly for condition and have ample area near windows to sit and inspect plus several good listening stations.

word of warning sometimes the instore music can be a tad loud

7. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

I told my wife that Josey Records is the Bizarro World Hobby Lobby - the store where I instead see wives pacing impatiently or sitting bored checking their devices.

Claxton likes this.
  8. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Exactly! She sits on the couches and complains to me it's too loud and asks if I'm done yet
    So much easier to go alone :). But then I don't have anyone to hold my stuff haha

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  9. Charles Buxton

Charles Buxton Forum Resident

I can't remember the name of the place, but there was/is this shop in Garland that primarily specialized in CDs that really had reasonable prices on imports. I spent way too much time in there, especially considering how it was out of my way. Maybe this will ring a bell with someone else?

10. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

I am going to be in Fort Worth this week for a couple of days. While the heading says Dallas, I figure those that know one town may know the other. Any place to recommend out on the west end of DFW?

JcS

11. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

Ahhh, I should have read up on this page higher. Thanks.

JcS

Claxton likes this.
  12. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I think I know the place you are talking about and it's been gone for years. But I can't remember the name either, so maybe I'm thinking of another place :)

13. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Good Records was awful when I went there. It seems like mostly a store for new records. They had six milk cartons full of unimpressive used records. The used CD selection is not much better.

The last time I went to Josey Records I found some great used records in their collectible vinyl section, including clean copies of RL Zep II, mono pink eye UK Traffic Mr. Fantasy, and Yardbirds Little Games. While they have many used CDs, most of them are in awful shape and of little interest.

I like Docs, but they have started to get pricey on their used vinyl.

14. markaberrant

markaberrant Forum Resident

Good Records was not good. Big store with small inventory of new records, and miniscule selection of common used records. Will hopefully check out Josey Records today.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  15. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

So, pardner, you are a wanting a record store, well sir, like the gents stated above, Forever Young is your best bet. Its off of highway 360 in South Arlington.[​IMG]

ToddH and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  16. Claxton

Just bring your pocketbook and your first born....

Seriously, they have TONS of stuff, but I've never been a huge fan of the prices.

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  17. Johnny Rocker

Yeup, the prices are up there a bit. Half Price books has a pretty good selection and pretty good prices, I go to the one off of Harwood in H.E.B, they are pretty cool. I think in Dallas, Bill's records and tapes is ok, I don't know if they are still in business thought?

18. markaberrant

markaberrant Forum Resident

I am up in Frisco, not sure about driving that far, and with family, otherwise yes!

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  19. Johnny Rocker

Hahh, Frisco, I did print factory blanket delivery work up there back in 1984. I know its changed since then. Half Price books 3221 Preston rd, Frisco TX 75034 23 miles from ya' 972-668-3477. Also try the Golden Triangle mall of 1-35 in Denton.:righton:

20. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Josey Records has been getting even better than it was. I finally bought a few records from them within the past month.

Good Records is apparently genre-specific. I don't recognize 3/4ths of their inventory...and I've been record shopping for decades.

21. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

For a while I wasn't going to josey much because the prices were a bit high for condition imo but recently they're getting better stock and the prices have come down some it seems based on condition. I got a pretty nice kraftwerk at a very reasonable price .

Make sure to get a punch card

Half price books has probably been the best bet for me, but mainly at the flagship store on nw hwy

22. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Claxton and Rentz like this.
  23. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

24. AmosM

AmosM Courtier to Queen Jane

You wouldn't recognize Fry anymore. They tore it down and rebuilt it in Austin's image, but the downtown area is now impossibly cool and full of music venues and beer gardens. And our two big vinyl stops are booming. Mad World is so full of kids you can hardly get around in there. It's awesome to see.

jamesc and Claxton like this.
  25. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

for those in dallas area Josey records and Half Price books are both doing 20% off sales through monday.
    HPB is on everything Josey is 20% on used and 10% on new

AmosM likes this.