Midnight Oil announces massive 2017 reunion tour, 3 huge box sets with unreleased music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

This would be great news! There have been so many losses in the Rock world over the past year or so, to hear that a terrific band might reunite lifts my spirits!:)

2. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

saw them here in Boston at the old, now defunct Channel nightclub, maybe 198? touring "10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1".....the only band i saw play louder was Motorhead at the same club in 1988!!!! Tremendous!

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  3. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I picked up their first, s/t, album a few months ago, on AUS vinyl. It's really good, more punky than their mature sound.

Gavinyl, theholygoof and Poison_Flour like this.
  4. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

no acoustic guitars in the early days

Defrance, c-eling and basie-fan like this.
  5. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

The word is that there will be an official announcement next Friday about their reunion tour later this year. Europe, US and South America in the summer and Australia in the fall. Supposedly new recordings will be happening as well.

6. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

Their website splash page has been updated to match, with a teased date: February 17

MrGrumpy likes this.
  7. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Yes, and the countdown album is my favorite.

8. Higgs

Higgs New Member

Man, I love this band. Would definitely rate in my top 3 all time. My biggest musical regret was having tickets in my hand to see them back in 1987 or 1988 but for some unknown reason being convinced to give them up to someone else. For the life of me I can't even remember what my reasoning was. I was but a 16 year old though and I it may well have had something to do with the possibility of meeting up with a girl I was keen on. Definitely the wrong choice was made.

There is just no way I'm gonna not see them this time.

I love their earlier stuff all the way though to Blue Sky Mine. Later stuff is fine too, just not at that same level of greatness imo. I've had one of their 'best of's' Flat Chat in the car lately, that's a worthwhile set.

I can't believe the perfect families on my colour TV
    If I don't make it to the top it'll never bother me

9. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

10. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

This thread from last month reminded me of how much I enjoy this band. Pulled out several cds today and heard "Earth And Sun And Moon" for the first time in quite a while. Wow! What a great set of songs. :edthumbs:

boboquisp, Carlox and c-eling like this.
  11. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Below taken from a Midnight Oil Facebook group.

BREAKING: The Midnight Oil office has confirmed the tour launch/press conference will be streamed in its entirety live via Facebook and then will be viewable on Facebook immediately afterwards.
    Time is most likely to be 08:30am (TBC) Friday 17th February Sydney time so check your time conversions everyone outside of Sydney.

forthlin likes this.
  12. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Bonddm and c-eling like this.
  13. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

Saw them at an outdoor venue here around 1995, and they absolutely killed it. Peter Garrett puts his all into his live performances, and this show is in my top 10 of all time.

basie-fan and c-eling like this.
  14. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

Yeah, it was actually at Pointfest 1 here, and it was in 1993..............where does the time go? :mudscrying:

15. My fav remains the countdown album but all of them are worthwhile.

Gavinyl and basie-fan like this.
  16. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

From the Facebook page... looks like a recording studio to me!! :)
    [​IMG]

Gavinyl and c-eling like this.
  17. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Love the band. BUT...the remastered albums sound terrible...because...they are seriously over-brickwalled. DO NOT wear headphones and start "Beds Are Burning" without making sure the volume is all the way down. Better yet...buy an original CD or vinyl...the DR is so much sweeter to the ears.

Album list - Dynamic Range Database

18. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Glad you bumped it
    For any new fans heed that advice, Old Oil discs and lp's can still be had for pretty cheap also and are the best way to go :cheers:

19. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Agreed regarding the remastered Oils discs. Heard a couple of 'em, listened to 'em and threw them out and found the old unremastered discs. The new discs have more bass. The old discs have excellent sound.

Carlox and Vinyl Socks like this.
  20. Vinyl Socks

The newer discs nearly popped both eardrums out of my skull at once, at a volume level that would have been considered normal with the originals.
    A DR drop from 14 to 6 is capable of doing some serious damage to the inner-ears.

21. Vinyl Socks

(I'll throw in a disclaimer that I blame myself for the volume level of my stereo...but didn't realize at the time what was about to happen...) :eek:

22. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Certainly with the original mastering of 10,9,8,7...... it is one of the quietest masterings I ever heard, so if you were expecting this, you would nearly blow up your speakers with the new remastering.

23. Vinyl Socks

Let's say it was me putting in Devils and Dust and starting with "Beds Are Burning". I don't recommend doing this with speakers OR headphones...ouch!

24. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Can't wait for the announcement on Friday. Will definitely see them. I saw them only once (the Blue Sky Mining tour), but it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. The energy level and intensity were incredible. Don't know if all these years later they could get anywhere near that, but I'm sure they'd still be great. Really, really hoping for a new album too. Sure looks like it from the picture on their website (though I guess it could be just a rehearsal space too???)

25. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

There's been a leak!
    [​IMG]

morgan1098 and Al Smith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.