Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Sunsales

Sunsales Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Burberry box titles are now showing up individually on the Bull Moose sight - April 28th date is listed.

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

6 albums. 4 from the early 70's hey days. Then...Two Low For Zero and West Coast?

Is he kidding? No thanks.

3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I imagine West Coast will generate some interest.

4. Sunsales

Starting at $22.97 for the single vinyl issues, and $33.97 for the double (Songs From The West Coast)

5. Sunsales

Curious if anyone who bought the box could comment on the quality.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  6. svoegtlin

svoegtlin Forum Resident

I'm down with a vinyl copy of West Coast.. I LOVE it.

Dorian75, Vinyl_Blues, Sean and 2 others like this.
  7. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I'm happy the albums (particularly "West Coast) are not RSD exclusives!

Christopher B and lightbulb like this.
  8. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

Anyone know anything about the 11-17-70 bullmoose is showing?

9. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

10. Batman21

11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Sure hope 11-17-70 doesn't have that ugly added reverb found in later pressings.

12. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Not on Amazon yet. Hmm.

13. Batman21

Exactly. I love my original Universal but am curious about the new one. The box info says original tapes. Might have to take a chance.

14. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I have the box. First, Elton himself chose the titles to represent his career.

The sound quality on EJ, Madman, 17/11/70, Captain and 2V40 is great. I can't give granular details as I don't have most of them on earlier pressings, but they sounded terrific. SFTWC was a bit off to me in places. Elton's vocals seemed to almost crackle in spots. I know this was recorded on analog tape, and Elton's vocals were really upfront (uncharacteristically so then). I listened with headphones and wasn't as put-off; I think some of the percussion on the tracks tricked me into hearing distortion on the vocals. Also, it's much lower than the really loud CD - much less "harsh" overall.

Packaging was A+. Recreated down to the die-cut on 2V40, and even the paper stocks were consistent with early releases. You get all the booklets/posters with Captain Fantastic, and the Madman booklet that's a part of the gatefold. I assume they'll keep these with the reissues but I suppose there's a chance they'll simplify the packaging to keep the cost down.

SinnerSaint, Tullman, wwright and 3 others like this.
  15. Sunsales

Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed description!

Jrr likes this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Could you please post deadwax info from at least 17/11/70, please?

17. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I don't have access to the records at the moment and won't until next week but will check.

18. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Deadwax for 17:11:70

BG42048-OΛ AΛ
    570 7078

19. Batman21

"BG" as in our boy bernie? No "RL?"

20. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

BG. Ludwig did the remastering, but BG was the cutter at Abbey Road I believe.

21. Batman21

Might have to get this in April

22. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

Thanks for taking the time for your review.
    I was hoping this would happen.
    I have been crying for a whole EJ reissue campaign and when they released the box I was surprised by the limited titles and even more surprised with the price tag. They had better include a tie and 30 pair of Burberry underwear for that ridiculous price tag.
    I probably still would have bought it in the end as I am a huge fan but something was telling me to hold off for another year with the hopes that this box might be a preemptive move before an official reissue campaign of his whole catalogue was going to happen. Or (as is now the case) these box titles would get released individually. Better than nothing I suppose.
    Still shaking my head as to why his whole catalogue hasn't been reissued yet. It's not like there's no market. Everyone else seems to be getting a vinyl facelift, why not him??

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Really? You get BOTH booklets AND the poster and the gatefold album? (No fan club invitation, I'm sure). That's kind of cool.

Of course, all these album (except SFtWC) are common as dirt on vinyl. So these would have to be analog sourced to be of any interest to me...

24. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

Apparently they are and sound incredible. I contacted two people off the EJ fan club for their take on it and not only are they fans they are audio enthusiasts as well. If it hadn't been for the price I would have jumped immediately.

25. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Yes, you get both booklets and poster and gatefold (no fan club invite). On Too Low For Zero, they die-cut the 2V40 on the cover, so the rainbow art shows through from the sleeve. Madman has the book printed on "blue" paper. All the paper stocks are matched to the originals. Very well done. These guys did their homework.

The sound on them is amazing - really well done and worth it. The box set was obviously done as a holiday special, and I always assumed they'd release them separately - too much work to remaster to not capitalize on reissuing.

The question now is will more follow?? These titles were chosen by Elton himself. Now I'd like to see Tumbleweed, Honky Chateau and Blue Moves.