Midnight Oil announces massive 2017 reunion tour, 3 huge box sets with unreleased music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Some info on the vinyl from the website.

Each vinyl has been remastered from the original tapes by Steve Smart at Studios 301, Sydney and then mastered for Vinyl at Abbey Road Studios, London. The artwork has been painstakingly restored to match the original releases and this deluxe boxset includes the original alternative album cover for Capricornia.

2. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

I did take the plunge last night. $350 USD is pretty pricey, but it seems limited -- their website says it's limited to 250, but JB Hi-Fi is selling it online as well -- and I didn't want to risk missing out on it.

I wish there was more info on it. You'd think for that price it would come with a booklet. Hopefully, the premium price has to do with their shipping costs (i.e. it being pressed at a premium plant in the US or Europe). The graphic on the website is clearly a mockup, though, as the box will be a lot thicker than shown for a dozen titles.

c-eling likes this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Mastered at Abbey, could be Germany doing the pressings. Shipping possibly from Europe could part of that price tag
    Instead of coming in the barrel, maybe a crab trap :D
    [​IMG]

Defrance and EVOLVIST like this.
  4. Dingo

Dingo Forum Resident

If these are just the totally crushed masterings that came out in 2014, it is not worth it. If Steve Smart sees the light and allows the dynamics to shine through with new transfers, it may be worth considering.

JediJoker likes this.
  5. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

My take is that the CD box is just a collection of recent remasters while the LP box is all-new.

BlackCircleVinyl likes this.
  6. And Washington DC! (Silver Spring, MD - close enough to take the Metro even.)

Tempting. Standing-room only venue, though.

7. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

Snagged a pair of tickets to the Philly show. Looks like it's already sold out (or down to single seat availability). Didn't expect that.

No Bull likes this.
  8. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Is it possible that it could just be that the pre-sale allocation has sold out?

9. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

Possibly. Also could be that a lot of people had tickets in their carts on hold and backed out. I'm now seeing a few more seats popping up.

10. dragpeace

dragpeace Forum Resident

I did the same. I just couldn't pass it up. Let's hope it's worth it and they haven't compressed the heck out of it.

11. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

excellent news.

12. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

wow... I never ever thought I would see the day!! Unbelievably great news!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::agree::agree::agree::edthumbs::edthumbs::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple:

driverdrummer and blutiga like this.
  13. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I was at their last reunion show in 2010. It was an ok show, sadly nothing like them in their peak in the mid 1980s.
    The box set prices are rediculous seems a trend these days!

14. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

2009? A one-off, all-star charity gig at the MCG. You have to cut them some slack. Few of us are at our youthful peak.

But yeah, the boxed sets are not exactly going to snapped up by Pete's working-class Kingsford Smith constituents.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  15. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

250 vinyl-only sets, but the other bundles push the total number of vinyl sets to 700. Which makes me think the numbers mentioned are for their online store's inventory only, and not worldwide.

Defrance likes this.
  16. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

I'm mainly interested in it for the later albums after Blue Sky Mining as they are rare as hen's teeth. I have nice copies of about half the earlier albums and should still be able to acquire the rest.
    Hopefully they get individual releases

c-eling likes this.
  17. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

They're back to piss off all the Rednecks :D
    Didn't realise they had so many passionate US fans :righton:

DesertHermit, Gavinyl and Defrance like this.
  18. Only interested in the Overflow box.Too pricey for 4cds and 8dvds(most of which have less than an hours running time).250 copies seems a small run although at the current price demand might be pretty small.
    Hoping they will release a version without the water tank packaging that might come at a more realistic price.If not I will give it a miss.
    Ironic that a band that has decried capitalist greed is putting out some of the most overpriced box sets (compared to content) of all time.

19. Quick comparison to show overpriced Overflow is.If you add together the prices I paid on release for Wilco's Alpha Mike Foxtrot(4cds of b sides etc) and REM's REMTV (14 hours of concerts,documentary etc) it came to about $135 Australian.The REM box was pretty heavily discounted soon after as well.
    Overflow is more than double the price for less content.

20. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I'm really only interested in the CDs of unreleased stuff and B-Sides
    Why not put them out on their own?
    8 DVDs is a bit over the top. The Best Of Both Worlds DVD & 20000 Watts RSL is all you need on DVD for Midnight Oil

As a fan from the early 1980s I already own all their albums on CD.

21. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

"U.S. forces give the nod" :)

Defrance, krock2009, blutiga and 2 others like this.
  22. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

You WANT to stand at Oils gig. It's that sort of a show.

MrGrumpy and dragpeace like this.
  23. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

Got my tix for the Keswick show today. Can't wait. Was fortunate enough to meet the band after their Earth and Sun and Moon show at the Mann. Happy owner of an autographed Green Disc. Remember Peter saying he liked my tour shirt from The Diesel and Dust tour!

zphage likes this.
  24. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Going to the Toronto show. Surprised how affordable the tickets were.

25. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

They're almost gone. I might try for the Webster Hall show in NYC. I will not miss these shows!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.