The BLUEGRASS thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

The Bass example I was discussing. It takes a bit to get beyond the singing to the face melting portion. I shot the video, the sound isn't great. I generally sync it up with a SBD of the show, that is great.

Marzz and ianuaditis like this.
  2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I may need you to send me some links so that I may also purchase these recordings.

3. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

Actually, 2013. Here it is, Tony comes in around at the 8 minute mark:

Marzz, Dave Mac, ruben lopez and 2 others like this.
  4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'm a big fan of not only Bluegrass music but also bass playing. My favorite bass player is Phil Lesh and here he is sitting in with Greensky Bluegrass. If this clip doesn't start at the 17 minute mark, I recommend queuing it up to that point. The song is called "All Four" and Phil has a beautiful bass part towards the end of the song.

I would love to hear @Jerry review

piepants and lucan_g like this.
  5. Jerry

These folks were great to deal with, and the only place I could find the JC Crowe set. And the two New Kentucky Colonels discs are cheaper through County Sales than buying them from Roland White's site and Amazon Marketplace, which is linked to Roland's site.

Bluegrass and Old-Time CD's, tapes, videos and books. County Sales, music retailer.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  6. Jerry

Nice! Kinda like Mumford and Sons meets Strength in Numbers. Thanks!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  7. Jerry

Here's a group I wish had put out an album with their 1971 lineup. The Bluegrass Alliance:

Lonnie Peerce (fiddle), Tony Rice (guitar), Courtney Johnson (banjo), Sam Bush (mandolin), Ebo Walker (bass). Renfro Valley, KY at Mac Wiseman's festival, July, 1971.

8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It is pretty remarkable how those guys went on to be be so impactful but that lineup never recorded.

Spadeygrove and Jerry like this.
  9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

This is the only Sam Bush solo I have ever found on vinyl. It is fantastic as is much of his catalog.

gkella, Dave Mac and Craig like this.
  10. Jerry

Great album! And there's only a little bit of percussion on it. :angel:

Craig and Dennis0675 like this.
  11. County Sales has lots of good records at good prices. That's where I got my Reno & Smiley Box Sets.

McLover likes this.
  12. Jerry

I have the first Reno & Smiley box set (1951-59) and was wondering if the "1959-63" was worth getting. And not sure about this one either: DON RENO, RED SMILEY & BILL HARRELL '1963-1972 Complete Starday King Recordings'.

13. The 1959-63 box set is not nearly as good as the awesome 1951-59 but I'm glad I have it. It has the complete Songs of the Civil War album and these are pretty lame, but there are some excellent tracks too. I don't have the 1963-72 box set.

I assume you have The Good Old Boys - Pistol Packin' Mama album with Don Reno on banjo and produced by Jerry Garcia.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  14. Kelv2014

Kelv2014 Member

Since we are a bit blurred in terms of bluegrass here thought I'd share an image I captured that ended up as the cover on the International Bluegrass Music Association newsletter in 2014. It was the year Noam did the keynote address at the IBMA convention that had moved from Nashville to Raleigh, North Carolina. That year was a year when they discussed what bluegrass was and what bluegrass wasn't from the Punch Brothers to Del & Sons. While we are at it I thought I'd show that image and this video by bluegrass legend Peter Rowan with my local bluegrass duo Mandolin Orange with vocalist Yungchen Lhamo here to blurr things even more.

International Bluegrass October 2014

Is that a Tibetan Newgrass Acoustic "ballad" steeped in exile?

By the way, if you've got some vacation time to burn in late September or early October come on over on I-40 or up or down I-95 to see some incredible showcases of bluegrass, newgrass, singer-songwriters, acoustic jazz guys and a whole lot more. Some of the best stuff happens for free in the hotel suites but there is something going on at every venue in town with a bus route that goes round and round to each venue as part of the ticket price.

Chatham County Line - "Living In Raleigh Now" (Official Video)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    mojo525 and Dennis0675 like this.
  15. Jerry

Yes, see posts 4 and 38!

16. Kelv2014

Kelv2014 Member

Dennis0675 likes this.
  17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

19. claudecat

claudecat Tax the rich! (sorry George)

Not sure if anyone's mentioned the Punch Brothers. Certainly not bluegrass per se, but a rich and pleasantly weird concoction of varied elements played masterfully on bluegrass instruments. These guys are about as good as it gets pickin'-wise, and if you can stand a bit of dissonant adventurousness the tunes are great. I especially love the "The Blind Leaving the Blind" four part suite from their amazing Punch album. Or this one, which is more bluegrassy, with a hint of the bizarre melodically:

Dennis0675 likes this.
  20. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I was at that show. It was great

Dennis0675 likes this.
  21. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Hot Dawg was the first bluegrass album I bought. I've only seen Grisman once at a country and bluegrass festival. He got booed when he asked if anyone liked jazz. He was the highlight of the day for me.

PonceDeLeroy and Dennis0675 like this.
  22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Yep, I was down front

Craig likes this.
  24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]
    It's not bad at all

25. Dennis0675